Oil consumption - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By unslow1
  • 1 Post By unslow1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2018, 5:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Hi guys I've just started to refurbish a RRT blade I picked up for a reasonable price I thought the first job was to change the oil and filter them ride it to make sure I have all the gears before continuing to work on it.I couldn't see how much I'll was in it because the sight glass was all milky.anyway to my shock it only had 2 liters in it.now it's either got a big thirst for oil or the previous owner didn't check it properly I'm a little worried that it could of done some damage the engine it does run sweet and has no nasty rattles or knocks.Are the early blades renown for using much oil.the previous owner did 10k miles in it last year and I don't think it's see an oil change for quite a while
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2018, 7:34 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Re: Oil consumption

Equally disturbing concerns there... the low level AND the "milk" Surely, the low level could mean that vital internals were not getting proper lubrication, and the color you described indicates moisture contamination

I'd recommend changing that oil & filter before starting the motor again. Clean the sightglass the best you can, and monitor the color & level of oil each ride. I'd be so bold to change the oil every 1000 miles for the first 3 changes.
IanDoohan likes this.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2018, 9:01 AM Thread Starter

Yes I think your right I've left the oil to drain over night I just hope that no major damage has been done.like i said it runs without fault and the oil pressure light went straight out even before the motor fired up so I'm guessing the pump had enough to do its job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2018, 12:48 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

The old carbie girls are NOT well known for oil consumption. I've owned 3 (2 currently) and never have to drop an ounce in either of them, even after a thorough drubbing (well, relatively speaking, as @unslow1 will surely not corroborate that), but you get the idea. Now, that's not say that yours has a thirst for oil. It could, but there would be subtle clues. Wet, black tail pipe, sooty exhaust smoke, and most importantly NOISE. If you report a low level, but she runs like a top, I say she's good to go. Do as Unlsow1 recommended though, get some fresh "cheaper" oil in there and flush it out 2-3 times. It may take a bit to get the window clear, and the only way really to clean it out nicely would be to remove the clutch cover. Anyhow, let us know how it works out. Unless the bike was treated badly with only being 1/2 full of oil, I think you're gonna be OK.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #5 of 7 Old 04-30-2018, 5:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys the thing I'm trying to get my head round is why was it low on oil was it burned off in the engine or wasn't never checked properly.oh well best just to change the oil and take a chance
post #6 of 7 Old 04-30-2018, 5:21 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
The old carbie girls are NOT well known for oil consumption. I've owned 3 (2 currently) and never have to drop an ounce in either of them, even after a thorough drubbing (well, relatively speaking, as @unslow1 will surely not corroborate that), but you get the idea. Now, that's not say that yours has a thirst for oil. It could, but there would be subtle clues. Wet, black tail pipe, sooty exhaust smoke, and most importantly NOISE. If you report a low level, but she runs like a top, I say she's good to go. Do as Unlsow1 recommended though, get some fresh "cheaper" oil in there and flush it out 2-3 times. It may take a bit to get the window clear, and the only way really to clean it out nicely would be to remove the clutch cover. Anyhow, let us know how it works out. Unless the bike was treated badly with only being 1/2 full of oil, I think you're gonna be OK.
Ian is right, the early carbed Blades hardly use any oil, I top mine up with about a 1/4 of a litre every 2000 miles.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-30-2018, 7:12 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

@IanDoohan 's machines go through as much oil as they do fuel okay, I'm done. It's not uncommon for a bike to go neglected and be burdened with 10K miles between oil changes over the course of 3-4 years and "burn" a quart or two of oil. There are many "squids" out there that as long as it starts, it gets ridden
IanDoohan likes this.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page