Honda Fireblade CBR 929RR stumbles at 1500rpm - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-03-2018, 2:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Honda Fireblade CBR 929RR stumbles at 1500rpm

Hi
Please can anyone help.
My fireblade seems to stumble/misfire at around 1500rpm when pulling away. I have given it a full service changed the fuel filter, balanced the TB and also changed the FPR. When I first had the issue I replaced the spark plugs with NGK CR9EHIX-9. The issue disappeared for about two weeks but it has now returned.
Just wondering if anyone has come across this problem before and what the fix might be.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-05-2018, 2:13 PM

Re: Honda Fireblade CBR 929RR stumbles at 1500rpm

I have the same issue. 2001 929. 7k miles. New fuel press reg. ( was dripping fuel out vacuum port) New plugs. New Oil & Filter Idles fine. As you are pulling away, bike starts stumbling while accelerating then about 3k BAM lift off! Like a 2 stroke. I checked the exhaust flapper valve system. Per manual seem to be functioning correctly. I do have FI error code 33 which I cannot find any where. ( How can I reset this?) I am a new owner. Bike sat for 5 yrs. Everything else perfect. ( new fuel also clean tank) Thanks, Mike
post #3 of 8 Old 07-11-2018, 3:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

oooh - Code 33 is NOT a good one! the workshop manual has this as "Faulty E2-PROM in ECM" but does say the engine would operate normally. Suggestions are checking for loose or poor contact of the ECM connectors. Goes on to say Reset the self-diagnosis memory data. Turn the ignition switch ON and check that the MIL blinks. IF you still get Code 33 the ECM is fried
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2018, 3:06 PM

Regarding the O/P, it might be a coil going bad on one plug - could be worth getting a set of 2nd hand coil caps and trying a swap.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-12-2018, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehead View Post
oooh - Code 33 is NOT a good one! the workshop manual has this as "Faulty E2-PROM in ECM" but does say the engine would operate normally. Suggestions are checking for loose or poor contact of the ECM connectors. Goes on to say Reset the self-diagnosis memory data. Turn the ignition switch ON and check that the MIL blinks. IF you still get Code 33 the ECM is fried
How do I reset the codes? Thanks, Mike
post #6 of 8 Old 07-14-2018, 12:41 PM

SELF-DIAGNOSIS RESET PROCEDURE
1. Turn the engine stop switch to RUN and ignition switch OFF.
2. Short the service check connector of the PGM-FI system using a jumper wire.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON.
4. Remove the jumper wire from the service check connector.
5. The MIL lights about 5 seconds.
6. While the indicator lights (i.e. in the 5-second window above), short the service check connector again with the jumper wire.

the Self diagnosis memory data is now erased, if the MIL turns off and start blinking.

Note:
The service check connector must be jumped while the indicator lights . If not, the MIL will not start blinking.
The self diagnosis memory data cannot be erased if you turn off the ignition switch before the MIL starts blinking .

If the MIL blinks 20 times, the data has not been erased, so try again.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2018, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the reply. It did not reset the "33" code. And I still have the hesitation, or stumble between 2200 and 2800 rpm. Once it hits 3 000 rpm it runs right up the rev range.
Starts well . Idles well. No odd fuel smell. I did have to replace the fuel pressure regulator. Was leaking fuel out of the vacuum port.
I do have a small hose, tee fitting to the gas tank vent, that seems to go no where. There are two hoses coming off the tee, one goes down towards the swing arm, the other I cannot fint a home for. i am wondering if this is my issue.. Thanks, Mike
post #8 of 8 Old 07-20-2018, 7:28 PM Thread Starter

Hi Mike,
I brought my blade knowing it had the stumble issue. The previous owner had it from new and didn't use it very often because of this stumble issue.
The problem started 24 months / 2000 miles after he brought it. Honda replaced everything even the coil sticks but couldn't heradicate the problem.
Anyway I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and plugs plus gave it a full service but still no difference so I decided to check the coils ohms. Three of the coils where around 11.50 - 11.62 ohms but one coil was only 11.30 ohms so i replaced that one coil stick which has now fixed the problem.
So I would check your coils first but the other thing I would check is the exhaust HTEV valve, make sure it's aligned correctly and is opening the correct direction as I've been told a stubble at 3000 rpm is due to valve opening the wrong way due to someone removing the cables and mixing them up.
Hope this helps.
Dave.

Last edited by Webber29; 07-20-2018 at 7:33 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page