Fuel pump wont prime - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-01-2018, 6:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

I have a 2003 cbr 954rr

I tried to start My bike after it sat for about a year, I had a battery tender on it. When I went start the bike everything went as normal beside for the fuel pump not priming. The engine turns over.
When you turn the key to on the relay under the seat click and then clicks again after about 2-3 seconds. I switched all 3 of the relays on the tail with the one under the seat and they all did the same click 2- 3 second pause and click again.

I checked the diode behind the ignition the pink wire is reading 9. Volts at the solder. I also check it at the ECU also reads 9v going in.

I cleaned all the connectors.

I swapped out the fuel pump for a new one but when I tested the old one out of the tank it works.

I put a new battery in today.
Still nothing.

I checked the fuses the main 30 amp under the seat. All the fuses in the fuse box under the seat.

I tested the 3 wires going to the fuel pump while connected (brown,brown with black stripe and green).

The center brown wire is reading 12 volts but nothing to the other brown wire.

I tried connecting power to the pump through the connector coming out of the fuel tank but don't hear the pump prime... I did it with the old fuel pump before I swapped it out and had the same result... could it possibly be something with the fuel pump assembly?

Any ideas. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by pasta847; 07-01-2018 at 6:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-01-2018, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Garage
Re: Fuel pump wont prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasta847 View Post
I have a 2003 cbr 954rr

I tried to start My bike after it sat for about a year, I had a battery tender on it. When I went start the bike everything went as normal beside for the fuel pump not priming. The engine turns over.
When you turn the key to on the relay under the seat click and then clicks again after about 2-3 seconds. I switched all 3 of the relays on the tail with the one under the seat and they all did the same click 2- 3 second pause and click again.

I checked the diode behind the ignition the pink wire is reading 9. Volts at the solder. I also check it at the ECU also reads 9v going in.

I cleaned all the connectors.

I swapped out the fuel pump for a new one but when I tested the old one out of the tank it works.

I put a new battery in today.
Still nothing.

I checked the fuses the main 30 amp under the seat. All the fuses in the fuse box under the seat.

I tested the 3 wires going to the fuel pump while connected (brown,brown with black stripe and green).

The center brown wire is reading 12 volts but nothing to the other brown wire.

I tried connecting power to the pump through the connector coming out of the fuel tank but don't hear the pump prime... I did it with the old fuel pump before I swapped it out and had the same result... could it possibly be something with the fuel pump assembly?

Any ideas. Thanks in advance for any input.
Hello there,

Have you looked at what the fuel looks like? the pump could have seized and the fuel could have gone bad. if you have to pull the pump out and connect it directly to 12v battery and test to see if it works.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-01-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the old pump with a new pump. Then I tested the old pump just out of curiosity to see if it worked and it did. I was fairly sure it was bad because I jumped power from the battery to the harness that comes from the fuel tank and could not get the pump to prime... I tried the same thing with the new pump that I installed and still can not get it to prime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-02-2018, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I had a similar problem. Check the IGN/FI fuse.

Jim Moore
Jax, FL
post #5 of 20 Old 07-02-2018, 1:01 PM Thread Starter

Already checked the fuses they are all good, even changed them with the spares just to make sure.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-02-2018, 6:56 PM Thread Starter

Just bypassed the bank angle sensor (bas) that did not work either...
post #7 of 20 Old 07-03-2018, 1:02 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Garage

its a lot of work, but you may have to pull the fuel pump out to test it directly. eliminate the issue and move on to something else.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-03-2018, 7:51 AM Thread Starter

I already installed a new fuel pump.. I tested the old one after I removed it and it turns on when hooked directly to the battery.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

If the fuel pump works when connected directly to a battery, but not when you apply power to the fuel tanking wiring then it points to the fault being in the fuel tank wiring. First have a very close look at the connector on the fuel tank loom for signs of corrosion or internally broken wires. If that look good then drag the pump assembly out and measure continuity of the two pump wires, from the external connector all the way to the pump connector.
COBRA90GT and BigdaddyPaz like this.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-03-2018, 1:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. That's the direction I was going . I was running out of ideas so I ordered the entire fuel pump assembly hopefully that solves it.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-07-2018, 9:37 PM Thread Starter

Back up and running.. I replaced the fuel pump assembly not exactly sure what in the assembly went wrong but its fixed.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-10-2019, 3:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Same damn problem here other than when I put the new pump in (not the whole assembly) I put a new filter and fixed the low fuel light thermistor, it primed and fired right up. I shut it off and went out an hour later and no prime! I’ve checked everything even jumped battery to pump and nothing. I’ve contacted the pump seller and hopefully it was a bad pump. Funny thing is the factory pump now works with battery power to it!
post #13 of 20 Old 06-10-2019, 8:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

One area to check is the spot where the pump wires pass through the assembly base. I've read an account or two of these failing too.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Pump 7.jpeg‎  
IanDoohan likes this.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-10-2019, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Follow the wiring all the way from the beginning (the source of power) all the way to the end and then back through the ground with a multimeter. There has to be a loose connection or bad wire in there somewhere. If you have problems with the multimeter (I’m not great with them honestly) use a wire with 2 alligator clips or pins to jump over areas of wiring you suspect to be the culprit to isolate the area where the issue is and then at worst you could buy a pin tool and just rewire that specific area. When I parked my bike 5 years ago my cooling fan wasnt kicking on so I just hard wired it to the battery through a fuse and switch so i could ride. I’m on the last leg of my complete rebuild now so I am going to be going through the same thing you are but on a different system. Just do it step by step through the harness until you figure out where the current stops flowing.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-11-2019, 7:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
One area to check is the spot where the pump wires pass through the assembly base. I've read an account or two of these failing too.
that is my next move. There is resistance from the pump plug to the harness plug on the power wire. Thanks for the reply!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page