954 fuel tank help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tak3n

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-24-2018, 5:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 fuel tank help

hey guys, about to purchase a 2003 954, 18000km off the original owner, but the guy usually stores the bike with no fuel in the tank and i assume that either a bit of water thats been leftover from fuel(ie always a tiny bit of water or moisture in pump gas in the fuel and has airrated from trapped air in tank) and has made a tiny pin hole in the bottom side of the tank. if i was to buy a tank would i have to get it painted? or can u get them prepainted from honda? is it worth trying to plug the hole with some kind of poxy? and giving the tank a proper flush out?. its literally the only thing putting me off buying the bike.

cheers in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-24-2018, 1:14 PM

Re: 954 fuel tank help

It looks like the tanks are painted, but boy are they expensive. Either $884 or $912 USD. Not sure how to decode the part number to determine what color it is.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...rr/fuel-tank-2
post #3 of 11 Old 07-24-2018, 4:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 2

if it truely is a pin hole, you can get an internal gas tank sealer that seals in rust and would fill the hole.
eg: https://www.eastwood.com/gas-tank-se...nk-sealer.html

re-spraying a tank isn't bad. Color Rite (colorrite.com) has all the oem paint colors and their aerosols are urethane. you can coat them with a spraymax 2k rattle can clear (https://www.amazon.com/Spray-High-Gl.../dp/B0043B7UQY) that is solvent resistant. i've used it in the past and it's turned out really well. I've attached photos of a job i did with color rite aerosol and spraymax 2k clear

if you're near rochester, ny, stop by and we'll get it done.
Attached Thumbnails
20180616_154538.jpg‎   20180616_154604.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-25-2018, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

my concern would be if there is one hole, how many more are just under the surface waiting to make an appearance. a sound fuel tank is pretty crucial.

if you can find one used that isnt destroyed itll cost you around 250$, to have it professionally painted probably another 250ish.

use it as a bargaining tool to the seller, maybe get it for 500 off n that should cover the replacement or a good chunk of it.

i suppose with the hole in the tank its not been running either, id be concerned about other issues it may have considering its been sitting without being ran long enough for a hole to have been eaten in the gas tank.

not saying thats necessarily a sure bet other things are wrong with it. i bought my 954 from a guy who owned it a few short months, he bought it from a older guy, the original owner, who rode it a few thousand miles and parked it in a storage unit for 11 years.

it needed a fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and the obvious things: tires, oil change, battery, brake fluid flush, forks seals n oil, spark plugs.....

not a huge amount of money, but those things added up. just be aware its a strong possibility this bike could need more than just the tank looked into.

im glad the guy i bought it from was brave enough to take on buying a bike that wasnt running and fixing those things, cause i got a super clean low mileage 954 that has served me well the last 4 or 5 years, but.. personally, i wouldnt buy a bike that isnt running and in good shape.

i love a project, but there are more than enough other options on the used bike market for me to gamble.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 11 Old 07-26-2018, 6:58 AM Thread Starter

cheers for the advice guys.

the bike runs he started it up and showed me. ill be doing a big service on it when i get it home(ive bought it) ive ordered some caswell epoxy off the net and im going to give the tank a big clean out with apple cider vinegar, let it siot for like 2 days...then gona wash it out with some distilled water and baking soda..then im going to dry the tank out and use the epoxy..see how it goes..heard a couple of stories of people using the epoxy and it last for a fair few years. and in the time being ill save for a brand new tank maybe?

cheers

also. hello from australia
post #6 of 11 Old 07-26-2018, 7:11 AM

i do a fair bit of antique restoration and i use vinegar to patina the metal. are you sure it's the best idea to use that for the inside of the tank?

a tank sealer, or the epoxy, basically create a plastic lining to your tank. it obviously won't rust and it'll last a long time. you just want to make sure the inside is very dry. any moisture will be trapped forever or create holes in the lining. i prefer solvents that flash off easily. since you're not welding or using heat or open flame, you don't have to worry about fumes.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-27-2018, 4:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skant153 View Post
i do a fair bit of antique restoration and i use vinegar to patina the metal. are you sure it's the best idea to use that for the inside of the tank?

a tank sealer, or the epoxy, basically create a plastic lining to your tank. it obviously won't rust and it'll last a long time. you just want to make sure the inside is very dry. any moisture will be trapped forever or create holes in the lining. i prefer solvents that flash off easily. since you're not welding or using heat or open flame, you don't have to worry about fumes.
im only going off what a 'guru' off youtube was demonstrating, and he said leave the apple cider vinegar for like 48 hours. then was it out with baking soda and distilled water

was going to do a final brake clean of all of inside before i started the epoxy

obviously let the brake clean dry first

sound about right?

buying the bike going to pick it up in like 1.5 hrs

post #8 of 11 Old 07-27-2018, 7:13 AM

i've always used branded tank cleaners in prep for sealing. let us know how the vinegar works out.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-28-2018, 6:15 AM Thread Starter

only doing a little part of the tank to see how it goes ill let you guys know on monday (aussie time) how it does
post #10 of 11 Old 08-13-2018, 3:07 PM

any update? how'd things go?
post #11 of 11 Old 01-31-2019, 5:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skant153 View Post
any update? how'd things go?
apologies for not getting back to ya, it worked a charm hasnt leaked or anything
MrPickwick likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page