HTEV ISSUE CBR 929RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By unslow1
  • 2 Post By MACE_

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

HTEV ISSUE CBR 929RR

hey bros.
I have recently acquired a cbr929rr.
It starts up but thows a code of 35 as far as I can tell.
The htev servo is clicking and continues clicking.....like something is stripped.

also, it wont rev like it it supposed to, and is bogging.
I touched the htev when i turn the key on and it just keeps clicking and clicking....my questions are if you would please help me fix it are;
if i disconnect the htev at the plug will the bike run better and just throw a code?
how do i "open the exhaust " to the correct free flow setting? lock wire it "open"?
would the htev malfunctioning cause the bike to run poorly>?
I will begin to mess with it tomorrow, i was hoping for some insight from some gurus on here!!!
the engine sounds good, but tends to bog real bad until i feather it up to 4k
nice to be back messing with a Honda!!!!

thanks in advance !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1529.jpg‎  

Last edited by MACE_; 04-26-2019 at 8:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-26-2019, 7:16 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 58

Re: HTEV ISSUE CBR 929RR

1st of all, it appears as though you have a 954, not a 929.

2nd, welcome to the world of "codes" and electrical SNAFUs.

Now that's out of the way, let's get started; 954s are fine-tuned machines that get maximum output (factory) from the HTEV. Yes, the servo motors fail. Nearly ALL do. If the cables haven't "jumped" the groove and the drive motor(s) have stripped guts, then I recommend DELETING the HTEV, cables, and airbox flapper altogether. If you don't purchase (or fabricate) a ServoBuddy (available on ebay and other places), your 954's MIL (red lamp on gaugepod) will be illuminated, as it's looking for feedback from the system. You don't need to be a Master Builder to perform the delete. BUT! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting a Honda Service manual (if you haven't already), and follow the instructions to reset the code(s). Plus, you'll have it for future issues

There are different places that sell "through" collectors. If you don't want to spend the loot, you can alter yours and leave it in the WFO position. Exhaust tone will be different, and some say you'll lose power somewhere in the RPM range. BUT! Most streetriders don't use more than 25% of their bikes' capabilities, so surely that modification will be barely noticeable and probably won't lessen riding enjoyment (as much as a red LED staring you in the face and a constant clicking noise anyway).

I performed the aforementioned "mod" on my RR2, and have had YEARS of enjoyment and ZERO issues relating to the (deleted) airbox flapper, (deleted) servo & HTEV, and NO MIL illumination.
Jacker and IanDoohan like this.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 5 Old 04-26-2019, 8:20 AM Thread Starter

Holy sh!T.
I bought the bike last night after a few cocktails off offer up.
It was advertised as a cbr900rr, I assumed by looking at it that it was a 929, and it was dark when it arrived, I just double checked the vin and the title and unloaded it. 700 bucks.
One of those impulse buys. I have had a few 954's I cant believe i didnt recognize it, however none of the fairings or headlight are on so yeah I feel like a dumbass but what a nice surprise.
What was not a nice surprise is that is has a cracked engine case on the right side, the infamous one that connects to the stator cover, so I have the cover off and will try jbweld before taking it in to get welded up.
Thanks for the post and for the info, I will delete the servo by detaching the connector and cables and wire the exhaust valve in one of the three available options and then buy a servo buddy as they seem cheap now.
It runs, not well, however, would the HTEV cause it to bog and not throttle up smoothly? Or is this likely another issue like TPS or fuel pump?
What I mean to ask is, will a malfunctioning HTEV affect the smoothness of throttle input?
I will begin a build thread I guess
Thanks alot man

wow lol
thought it was a 929
thats classic
Jacker and IanDoohan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-04-2019, 5:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

On my 929, I have pulled out the airbox flapper completely, removed the servo motor and all associated cables and fixed the rotating ceramic valve in the HTEV/HVIX exhaust assemby to the full open position.
(which is with the symbols on the exterior to the 12 o-clock position.

I fitted a servo buddy, which defeats the fault code, as it precisely mimics the servo operation.
It cost about $AU 70. Probably cheaper in the US.

Dropped a cog on the front sprocket to make up for any loss in the lower RPM end.
Bike handles like a rocket, no issues.
Exhaust note is deeper, more throaty.
No power commander is fitted, I haven't seen the need to fit one. (expensive too !)
ECU seems to have no problems with fueling.

As far as I have researched, this exhaust valve was put in by Honda to address pollution/noise laws that were coming out in 2004 in California. (Yamaha and Suzuki also had these exhaust restrictors)
Honda dressed it up as a wanky performance booster, but it was really about restricting the bike to comply with strict Californian emission laws.
The default first position on the valve keeps the exhaust noise low, second position opens the exhaust valve completely at 3800 through 7000/8000 RPM and de-restricts the bike, the third position restricts the bike from 8000 RPM and helps to reduce exhaust noise once again.

That's it as far as I understand it.
You can buy straight thru kits that replace the entire exhaust valve assembly on ebay.

Last edited by Jacker; 05-04-2019 at 5:30 AM. Reason: added more info
post #5 of 5 Old 05-04-2019, 6:50 AM Thread Starter

Great write up and info thanks for all the help on here fellas/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page