Sproket and chain? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By IanDoohan
  • 2 Post By 954Kevin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-09-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Sproket and chain?

Want to replace the sprocket and chain on my 2001 929, went to wemoto and there are several different types any recommendations which one to get? thanks

TRANSMISSION - CHAIN AND SPROCKET KITS
Picture of DID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket KitDID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket Kit
£109.58
Picture of DID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold and Black Chain and Afam Sprocket KitDID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold and Black Chain and Afam Sprocket Kit
£137.80
Picture of DID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold and Black Chain and JT Sprocket KitDID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold and Black Chain and JT Sprocket Kit
£114.58
Picture of DID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket KitDID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket Kit
£145.05
Picture of DID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold Chain and Afam Sprocket KitDID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold Chain and Afam Sprocket Kit
£178.76
Picture of DID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold Chain and JT Sprocket KitDID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold Chain and JT Sprocket Kit
£155.54
Picture of Swift Super Heavy Duty Black/Silver X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket KitSwift Super Heavy Duty Black/Silver X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket Kit
£92.30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

I’m going with a vortex 520 -1 +2 this time around. The 1/3 ratio is supposed to make the 929 a monster and the 520 chain is significantly lighter with only a small percentage loss in tensile strength. You should be fine going with any did chain though. They are well known as being top of the line chains.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-09-2019, 4:14 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Sproket and chain?

I went with eBay purchased DID ERV3 520 gold racing chain for like $140, then got separate JT Sprockets (steel front, aluminum rear) for another like $50 on my track 900.

I put the same set up on my 93 street bike last spring as well. Lovely set up.

Gunk and nigelrb like this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Last edited by IanDoohan; 05-09-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: taco chain? hahahahaha auto correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-09-2019, 9:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

i dont really know the options you have over there as far as suppliers, but in my experience so far, the ek 3d chain has been far and away the best one ive used.

of those options listed i would probably buy the 155 option. jt is a world class sprocket and its my advice to get a gold chain over the alternative. the gold chains have a much higher resistance to corrosion/rust. i do chain maintenance regularly. a couple chains ago i bought a non gold chain and despite my schedule, the non gold was an obvious disadvantage.

with most chains today, the 520 pitch is more than strong enough to handle the 929's power output. going down to a 520 is a nice little boost i could feel on my 954. i suppose less material ultimately means faster wear, but dont be concerned about strength. these new 520 chains are a lot stronger than the 530 chains that were available when the 929 was fresh on the market.

to be more thorough, i use the 520 ek 3d chain and driven front and rear sprockets, steel up front (-1) and aluminum in the rear(oem tooth count)
this has been without a doubt the best wearing chain ive ever bought for a bike.

did, afam, jt are all great though. like i said, just stick with a gold chain if you buy from those options.
unslow1 and IanDoohan like this.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 7:04 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Sorry for late reply thanks for info appreciated

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page