954 washed it , now misfiring - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 1 Post By razz007
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan
  • 2 Post By razz007
  • 1 Post By BigdaddyPaz
  • 1 Post By razz007

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-25-2019, 6:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 washed it , now misfiring

hello everyone , its ady from the uk , now on my third fireblade but first 954 , 2002. which got delivered yesterday , i went out last night for a long ride and all was perfect , washed the bike this morning , did not need it , but you know how it is , when i went to start the bike , it was only running on 3 cylinders up to 3k , then she was ok , only after a further 10 or so miles , she went to 3 cylinders , plodded home , switched the bike off , ten mins later all was well , went for another ride , then around 15 mile or so , it went down to 3 cylinders again , i crawled home and once again after 10 or so mins , i fired her up and she was perfect ? i have removed the airbox and contact cleaned all the plugs , there was no water that i could see , what i did find was plug 3 cap plug was not clicked fully home and the black 4 pin connector had a green corroded pin , rebuilt her and she purrs once more , i`ll go out tomorrow , if it does it again , where should i look next please ? i am always careful when washing my bikes , i just can`t twig where the water may have got in , thanks ady
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-26-2019, 6:40 AM Thread Starter

Re: 954 washed it , now misfiring

a little update , went out for ride this morning after putting it all back together , and she misfired or ran rough from the start , i`ve pulled it apart and one by one gone thru everything , i`ve done the water on the downpipe test and all is ok there , i pulled each coil stick in turn and she dropped the same revs with each one , so it must be fueling ???? i had filled her up with shell v-power ?? i have checked the pressure requlator and the only fault code i have is 35 , cos i`ve got a crapped out htev motor , any suggestions , i`ll remove the tank and put some BP in next
post #3 of 12 Old 05-26-2019, 7:02 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)

Garage

Hi Ady, when you say you EGCV vale motor is not working and 35 code ,have you fixed the valve's off in any position, and what RPM is it worse at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-26-2019, 7:25 AM Thread Starter

hello mr pickwick , the rough running is from idle all the way thru , it never clears its throat , i had previously pinned the exhaust valve in several points and found about half way just past , was spot on , when i first did that little mod , she ran like a dream . when it ran last night ( spot on ) i decided to clean all the connectors under tank , when i returned to ride this morning , the roughness started , so i must have a poor connection ? starting to round in circles , i`m just waiting for her to cool down and i`ll start her up and check the downpipes again , i`ve pulled the pipe on the regulator valve and it does not leak , may put it together after and visit a very local BP and top it up
post #5 of 12 Old 05-26-2019, 7:36 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Seems you might of discovered it Ady, any problem with Petrol tank movement and connections usually ends up in a fault like this, have a look again at breather tubes and earth connections on the tank, things get kinked and undone
post #6 of 12 Old 05-26-2019, 9:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPickwick View Post
Seems you might of discovered it Ady, any problem with Petrol tank movement and connections usually ends up in a fault like this, have a look again at breather tubes and earth connections on the tank, things get kinked and undone

hello fella , thank you for replying , i have put the blade back together and managed to get rid of the 35 fault code by unseizing the motor , so i am now fault free , i left the house and headed to a BP station , i then rode for approx 30miles , during this time , i have worked out , she is running out of fuel , if i ride steady and normal ?? she is silky smooth , but as soon as i open it up , she coughs and splutters and makes funny noises , slowing down or pulling over for a short time see`s the tickover go back to normal and she is silky smooth once more , 30.40.50.60.70 are all spot on riding under 6k , i can rag it but only once before she coughs and splutters , will look at the fuel system next , any hints ? i`ll check all the lines and i suppose the pump or reg or something can not supply enough juice ?
post #7 of 12 Old 05-26-2019, 9:28 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz007 View Post
hello fella , thank you for replying , i have put the blade back together and managed to get rid of the 35 fault code by unseizing the motor , so i am now fault free , i left the house and headed to a BP station , i then rode for approx 30miles , during this time , i have worked out , she is running out of fuel , if i ride steady and normal ?? she is silky smooth , but as soon as i open it up , she coughs and splutters and makes funny noises , slowing down or pulling over for a short time see`s the tickover go back to normal and she is silky smooth once more , 30.40.50.60.70 are all spot on riding under 6k , i can rag it but only once before she coughs and splutters , will look at the fuel system next , any hints ? i`ll check all the lines and i suppose the pump or reg or something can not supply enough juice ?
Yes Ady take a look t the FPRas well
post #8 of 12 Old 05-26-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPickwick View Post
Yes Ady take a look t the FPRas well

hello there , fpr does not leak , can not see any kinked lines , tomorrow i will put it all back together , go for a long ride at normal pace , if thats still ok , i`ll contact my local peoples to see if they`ll work it out

ady
MrPickwick likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-26-2019, 9:34 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Sometimes the FPR will give you a false negative. it might be best to just change it out.

Do you get any abundant fuel smell?
MrPickwick likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #10 of 12 Old 05-27-2019, 7:36 AM Thread Starter

hello ian , i have no bonus fuel smell , today though i have an update , last night i airlined everything , and this morning the first thing i notice is the tickover has gone up to 1500 and is soooo smooth , i thought she was smooth before , so went out for a long ride , 50 miles covered using up to 8k on the rev front , and she is perfect , its only now when i hit around 10k she farts and spits , but this time , recovery is instant , i belive now i will remove the tank and check inside , i`ve only had the bike 3 days , i wonder if its sat a while , when i got it , it was very low on fuel , and after filling it up , i wonder if after my washing this problem could of occured anyway , thanks everyone for your help , i`ll keep going , shes so worth it , if you can think of anything else after my update , please say
IanDoohan and MrPickwick like this.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-27-2019, 8:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz007 View Post
hello ian , i have no bonus fuel smell , today though i have an update , last night i airlined everything , and this morning the first thing i notice is the tickover has gone up to 1500 and is soooo smooth , i thought she was smooth before , so went out for a long ride , 50 miles covered using up to 8k on the rev front , and she is perfect , its only now when i hit around 10k she farts and spits , but this time , recovery is instant , i belive now i will remove the tank and check inside , i`ve only had the bike 3 days , i wonder if its sat a while , when i got it , it was very low on fuel , and after filling it up , i wonder if after my washing this problem could of occured anyway , thanks everyone for your help , i`ll keep going , shes so worth it , if you can think of anything else after my update , please say
DO you have a Power Commander III on our 954? I have a friend who had similar issues with his 954 untill we removed the PCIII and it fixed his issue, he was sputtering at 8k rpms like he was starving for fuel. he does have a full exhaust but it runs fine without the PCIII. If you dont have a PC, then it might be something else. IF you do have a PC disconnect it and see what it does.
MrPickwick likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-28-2019, 7:12 AM Thread Starter

hello there , no pc3 that i know of , i have now as a matter of course , pulled the tank and gonna replace the fuel filter and run some injector cleaner thru it , although i`m still convinced its electrical as this all begun after i washed it , will now go through all connections again whilst the tank is off and i await the filter
MrPickwick likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page