Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

LED turn signals

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  pj900rr 
#1 ·
Sorry I can’t find the answer. 93 900RR. Replaced all four turn signals with LED 2-wire units. Fit into the stock connectors. I purchased an electronic two pin turn signal relay. My original relay has three pins as does the wire harness. With new two pin relay installed, all four lights flash for either left or right. With original relay installed, same behavior , all four flash but fast cycling. Do I need a three pin relay? I can’t seem to find one. Why would the original relay still cause all four to flash together? Bike worked fine in the old incandescent setup and stock relay. Thank you.

#5 ·
I installed stubby two wire incandescent signals on this bike about twenty yrs ago. Worked fine. Ok looked at the factory wiring diagram. Rears are two wire but fronts are three wire. I now see after digging under the fuse box that I joined the two common wires. Works for incandescent but I guess not for LEDs? So do I need to buy three wire LED lights for the front? Guess I’ll end up with unmatched front and rear lights.

#7 · (Edited)
This should get you where you need to be.

https://tstindustries.com/gen-2-i-led-flasher-relay-honda-2003-2006-cbr600rr.html I'm pretty sure this was the one I got but I did get the one for my my 900RR and my RC51 from this site.

It's what I have on my 96 after installing Rizoma 2 wire led signals. I also made a jumped diode harness to allow the fronts to function as running lights. I think the info is somewhere on this site. Do some looking. If not I can probably make you one. I have a ton of extra diodes I got form Radio Shack before they went out of business.

#9 ·
That TST site provides the same two wire turn signal lights and two wire relay. No three wire options.

MrPick fixed the lights! I pulled the peanut bulb from the turn signal indicator in the meter cluster and the turn signal lights flash correctly now when signaling left and right.

Is there an LED peanut bulb that will restore the indicator light or am I left permanently without one?

#10 ·
I imagine the third pin on the relay powers the turn signal indicator bulb on the cluster. But again I find no three wire relays out there that will fit? Pulling the indicator bulb out as MrPick suggested drops that part of the circuit which gets the lights functioning correctly.

#15 · (Edited)
Alrighty, here’s my final closeout notes for the next guy.

Summary:

-installed two-wire LED turn signals.

-replaced orig three wire turn signal relay with three wire electronic relay made for LEDs.

-as MrPick said, I wired in two diodes pointing to the turn signal gauge indicator bulb (light blue/orange wires) and ran a ground from it to the frame mount where the RF upper fairing bolts to.

Result:

A proper flash rate at the lights, no four way flash problem, and working turn signal indicator in the gauge.

Attached are some supporting images - two I found on the web as to how to the circuit needs to exist and a second I put together to help me determine what types of connections to use and help me build the wire bundle.

Attachments

#16 ·
Alrighty, here’s my final closeout notes for the next guy.

Summary:

-installed two-wire LED turn signals.

-replaced orig three wire turn signal relay with three wire electronic relay made for LEDs.

-as MrPick said, I wired in two diodes pointing to the turn signal gauge indicator bulb (light blue/orange wires) and ran a ground from it to the frame mount where the RF upper fairing bolts to.

Result:

A proper flash rate at the lights, no four way flash problem, and working turn signal indicator in the gauge.
glad you worked it out and thanks for closing the loop. by chance do you have a wiring diagram or photos?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.