Help! Radiator overheating, 1 fan not working - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By floppy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 5:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Help! Radiator overheating, 1 fan not working

Hi All

Recently had a major service on my '16 fireblade - Runs a lot better and smoother since service but bike is now overheating - temperatures reaching 124C in stationary traffic (and the red light comes on a 121C) but cools to 98-99C when on a clear road. I've checked coolant (that's fine), fuses (they're fine)... checked the fans function and can only feel air from the Left-hand fan (nothing from the RHS). Looking in the Honda workshop manual i can only find reference on how to remove the Radiator and Fans. Is there any way of checking the Right-Hand fans function prior to dismantling the radiator etc (major surgery for a non-mechanic)?

Seems a coincidence that this issue arises a day or two after having the service but cant see how they could have damaged a fan (i'm working on the theory that it's pure coincidence!)

Any advice on how to remedy this would be most appreciated.

Many thanks
Floppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 1:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Re: Help! Radiator overheating, 1 fan not working

Just to clarify, what do you mean by "major service" exactly? Are we talking about an oil change, sparkplug change, coolant drain/fill, brake bleeding, etc or another maintenance procedure (valve check)?

Did a shop perform the work or did you tear into the bike yourself?

Chances are pretty good that it is NOT a coincidence that your right side fan stopped working after the recent service (something was likely overlooked - could be something simple such as an unplugged wire harness/connection, etc).

IIRC, the workshop manual should indicate what temperatures the fans activate at - is it possible you are not reaching the threshold for the 2nd fan turning on?

Not sure if both fans turn on at a certain temp or if they are "stepped" and the 2nd fan only turns on at a higher temperature (at least I thought that was how my '11 blade's cooling system functioned - I could be off on that part though).

G'luck troubleshooting !

-'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51

-'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR
(sold)
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
post #3 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 2:32 AM Thread Starter

Yes it was a full service including plugs changed, filters changed, valves checked etc. Although a service was indeed needed, everything was working fine prior to service- and i used a reputable workshop to carry out the service (I'm knowledgable enough to do a service of this level).

102C for 1st fan and 106C for 2nd fan are stipulated in the workshop manual - Temp was @118C when i checked the fans and noticed only the LHS working. - Have had 5 or 6 blades in the past 8 years (and never had this issue with any of them)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 3:30 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)

Garage

Could it be as simple as Pressure cap not tight and air in the system, worth a check
post #5 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 12:39 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

If the radiator and/or fans needed to come off for the shop to do the service, it could be as easy as air in the system or a connector that was not re-connected. A 2 stage, off set fan set up, what will Honda think of next? Man, I love carbs

Take it back to the shop and let them figure it out.
machinehead likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Caf 900RRP
post #6 of 6 Old 06-01-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Got to the route of the problem. Ascertained there is power going to the fan but the fan seems to have seized - even resistance when i try to manually turn it (feels like it rubbing hard on something). Looks like a new fan should do the trick.

Thanks for the advice guys
IanDoohan likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page