(Fixed) Lower damper bolt won’t come out - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By msf0002
  • 1 Post By msf0002
  • 1 Post By msf0002
  • 1 Post By msf0002

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-23-2019, 6:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

(Fixed) Lower damper bolt won’t come out

Well I have been continuing
My complete rebuild of the 929rr and hitting every speed bump along the way. The forks have given me trouble on pretty much every turn except for the install of the racetech spring and gold valve. So today I was reassembling the forks and chugging along and when I put the fluid in one of them it just started pouring out the bottom. I used new crush washers and torqued to spec but I guess something was wrong because now I can’t get the bolt to go in or come out. I have taken them apart and put them back together 4 times today. It doesn’t
matter if I compress the spring a
ton, pull on the damper rod, use an impact it will not break free. I put a wood shin down in to the top of the damper to keep it from spinning which it did. The only possible thing that could be happening after all the steps I have taken is the compression valve itself is spinning. Does anyone know how I could get this stupid thing apart.

Last edited by msf0002; 07-08-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-24-2019, 5:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 56

Garage
Re: Lower damper bolt won’t come out

The articles section on this forum seems to have disappeared. Its where all the good "How to" articles were placed. Check out my fork post from years ago and see if you may have missed something when putting your forks together. There should be a centering plate in the bottom of the fork that the damper sits inside of. Then you install the bolt with crush washer. I never had any issues re-installing the lower bolt. Its usually hard to get out without using an impact. A fork damper holder tool in the ebay link below makes removing or installing the lower bolt very easy as it prevents the damper from spinning.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/ar...tallation.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...DkhaLwMMXVKWkg

SOLD: 03 CBR954
post #3 of 13 Old 06-24-2019, 6:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much, I bought the tool, wish me luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-29-2019, 1:21 PM Thread Starter

The tool did not work, as I suspected the valve is just spinning around inside the damper. I think I’m going to have to chop the bottom of the fork off to retrieve my new gold valve 😡
post #5 of 13 Old 06-30-2019, 10:00 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by msf0002 View Post
The tool did not work, as I suspected the valve is just spinning around inside the damper. I think I’m going to have to chop the bottom of the fork off to retrieve my new gold valve 😡
Is it possible that the bolt got cross threaded and that's why it leaked and now wont come out? What other options do you have? With no pictures, I have no idea what your situation looks like.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 13 Old 06-30-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Anything is possible, pictures wouldn’t help anyways because there is nothing to see. The bolt is definitely somewhat loose in there because I can move the damper around. I ordered the pictured item and it should be arriving late this week unless i can go pick it up earlier. I’m going to chop the bottom of the old fork off. The fork that I ordered is damaged so I am just hoping the lower slide/tube is straight since that is what I will be cutting apart. At least I will be getting a new bolt, compression valve ect with it so if it did get cross threaded I will have the parts to repair it. I don’t think it did get cross threaded though because I screwed it in by hand and it went right in. I will post pictures when I cut it open though. I think I didn’t get it seated enough somehow and the locktite dried and that was that.
Attached Thumbnails
E5D010DF-D4B6-4350-A30A-FF40E3F1C3A8_1561948225830.png‎  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-30-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the help though, it was definitely worth the $25 to buy the tool, it just wasn’t what was needed to get the job done. I’m definitely going to use it when I reassemble though. I was definitely hoping I would luck out but this entire project has been a pain in my ass. I love fixing my stuff and I’m going to appreciate it all when it’s all done but for now I just want to ride my damn bike 😜
IanDoohan likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-01-2019, 7:00 PM

Garage

Doesn't the black lower piece unscrew from the chrome tube? I thought there was a roll pin holding that on, or at least red locktight on the threads of the chrome tube. Would trying to unscrew it make any difference? Sounds so harsh saying "cut/chop off" the lower lol

post #9 of 13 Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Supposedly it does but since I couldn’t get the damper rod out I can’t stick anything through the holes to secure it. But I already chopped everything apart today, that damages fork I purchased should be here on Friday. I was able to retrieve my new gold valve and everything else out by cutting the end of the old tube bottom off. For the record I did try to unthread the tube from the caliper/axle unit but I was not able to. Worse case scenario I’m gonna end up with some new forks. Best case scenario I spent some money and learned some lessons. I have touched everything except the motor on this build but motor work is what I am best at. I painted my tank no less than 7 times trying to get it to where I was happy with it and finally succeeded. My goal was to be riding on my birthday which was June 16th and here we are. I’m learning a ton along the way and I’m going to know this bike inside and out when I am done. I will probably rebuild the motor this winter but for now I just want to ride!
IanDoohan likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-02-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I received the damaged fork today and it was exactly what I needed! Got it all torn apart today and ready to reassemble! Thank god!
post #11 of 13 Old 07-03-2019, 4:15 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by msf0002 View Post
I received the damaged fork today and it was exactly what I needed! Got it all torn apart today and ready to reassemble! Thank god!
Did you get a chance to confirm what happened to the bolt or if it was cross threaded?

post #12 of 13 Old 07-05-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

The bolt was not cross threaded. What happened is the bolt hit the point of the old application of locktite and instead of threading in more like it should have it started to let the valve spin inside the damper assembly. So my advice to everyone would be make sure you clean the threads of the bolt and the threads inside the valve before reassembling
IanDoohan likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

The forks are back on the bike 😂, don’t mind the overspray on the tires it’s just plastidip. I’m not overly happy with the way it turned out and will be redoing them soon but for now I just want to ride!
Attached Thumbnails
7B50A6C5-1939-4232-8217-02FCEACA7F28_1562637904669.jpeg‎  
IanDoohan likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page