97 900rr speedometer replacement - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Gunk
  • 1 Post By Gunk
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2019, 8:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 2

97 900rr speedometer replacement

All but one of the mounting tabs on my gauge cluster are broken off. It appears as though the last person tried to use some foamy type of adhesive to repair it. I'm not sure if roughing the surface and using a 2 part plastic resin will be strong enough to hold the tabs in place.

I've found one new lower case for it and i'd have to transfer all wires and internals over but i'd be keeping my gauges. I've also found one with busted gauges but everything else is fine. These two options are about $50 plus shipping.
Lastly, there's used units for $150+ shipping. I can see the wiring work just fine but I've never taken one of these clusters apart to see how difficult it is to transfer internals. I like the idea of the speedo having actual miles (although there's no telling how long it was -1/+2 so it's not actual anyways) but then again, my speedo needle bounces all over. I don't know if that's the fault of the gauge or the sensor. Would a new cluster fix the speedo issue? Is transferring the internals over worth my time? Would resin be strong enough to hold the unit in place (previous owner used a zip tie to keep it in place)?

Also, the 95 gauge cluster has the same mounting holes and connectors. The only difference is that the 95 has words for the light functions instead of symbols. Other than making the bike look more dated, probably nobody would notice it's not the proper year for the bike. Just an FYI for anyone wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2019, 3:16 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Garage
Re: 97 900rr speedometer replacement

I’ve swapped a rear case over on a ‘94 wasn’t difficult, just take plenty of photos

IanDoohan and nigelrb like this.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2019, 3:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 2

what haven't you done Gunk? I'll have to remember photos. i'm horrible about documenting my work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-26-2019, 3:49 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Garage

I drew a wiring diagram as well which really helped.

It did seem like it was going to be a really daunting task and I couldn’t find any YouTube videos on how to do it, so I just ploughed in and had a go and it all worked.
nigelrb likes this.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
post #5 of 5 Old 06-27-2019, 9:53 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skant153 View Post
All but one of the mounting tabs on my gauge cluster are broken off. It appears as though the last person tried to use some foamy type of adhesive to repair it. I'm not sure if roughing the surface and using a 2 part plastic resin will be strong enough to hold the tabs in place.

I've found one new lower case for it and i'd have to transfer all wires and internals over but i'd be keeping my gauges. I've also found one with busted gauges but everything else is fine. These two options are about $50 plus shipping.
Lastly, there's used units for $150+ shipping. I can see the wiring work just fine but I've never taken one of these clusters apart to see how difficult it is to transfer internals. I like the idea of the speedo having actual miles (although there's no telling how long it was -1/+2 so it's not actual anyways) but then again, my speedo needle bounces all over. I don't know if that's the fault of the gauge or the sensor. Would a new cluster fix the speedo issue? Is transferring the internals over worth my time? Would resin be strong enough to hold the unit in place (previous owner used a zip tie to keep it in place)?

Also, the 95 gauge cluster has the same mounting holes and connectors. The only difference is that the 95 has words for the light functions instead of symbols. Other than making the bike look more dated, probably nobody would notice it's not the proper year for the bike. Just an FYI for anyone wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
I’ve swapped a rear case over on a ‘94 wasn’t difficult, just take plenty of photos

Skant, you'll notice that even though Gunks bike is a 94 (UK model), it has the 95 (US) gauges. It still has the idiot lights, but they are in a straight across row rather than in the little cube BUT, it has an electronic speedo, no cable. So it may not work on the 93-94 bikes. UNless you want to buy all the parts to convert it to an electronic signal which I did on my 93, from eBay of course, then put in an F4i digital dash with a clock as well

Gunk likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page