SwingArm chain+sprockets replacement problem? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By unslow1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

SwingArm chain+sprockets replacement problem?

Had a small off last August and dented swingarm so got round to changing it. I'm a diy mechanic so this was biggest job I've done, I'm diy but I'm terrible for detail and doing things right so can't figure this out? Decided to change sprockets and chain at the same time.
Bad start couldn't remove 24mm hex so went round corner to friend in garage and he did a bit of welding etc and loosened the nut. Swingarm off new (secondhand) in new sprocket on plus front sprocket here's photo.

When putting new front sprocket on couldn't tighten it even with foot hard on rear brake, it just spun in both directions. Put in gear and then was able to tighten to 54nm but not sure if I've broken something?

New rear sprocket and chain rear wheel on all tightened started engine put in first gear and chain acts like it's not seated correctly sounds very bad not smooth as before. Anyone tell me what I've done wrong?

Have to say my swing arm bolt is still loose haven't gone round to friend at garage yet to tighten swingarm bolt to 118nm would this be why my chain isn't running true? Any info appreciated Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0153.JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: SwingArm chain+sprockets replacement problem?

Sounds to me as if you've put a rear wheel spacer in the wrong side which means the chain is running on an angle and not straight.

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R / 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2019, 1:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Thanks for reply but No definitely not, collar spacer on sprocket side plain spacer on brake calliper side, believe me I'm a perfectionist when I know what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-27-2019, 2:54 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 58

Any chance the pitch of the chain isn't matching one of the sprockets? Having a "loose" rear axle/wheel will make some noise, yup.
nigelrb likes this.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page