Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

'02 954 - Where is the negative ground?

642 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JMooreHarrier2 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I had a weird problem a few days ago. The bike just died on me at a stoplight. I mean, dead. No lights. No displays. Nothing. It was like I had removed the battery. After a few minutes I got a little power back, but not near enough to get the bike to start. I got the bike home and put the battery on a tender. The battery was at about 11 volts, but it charged up just fine. Now the bike starts and runs normally. The charging system works (14+ volts at mid-rpm). The battery stays at 11 or so during start. So everything seems normal. I'm kinda at a loss, but I wonder if the negative ground is loose or corroded. I see the negative lead disappear under the tank. Where does it go from there? Is it accessible? If not, I may just run a new negative lead to a big frame bolt and see if my problem is fixed. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jim Moore

#4 ·
...and I've posted this several times. Check the stator/regulator connections (3 wires) as well as the "common" ground next to the battery. One of, or BOTH may have a little bit of this going on :eek:

Attachments

#5 ·
Yikes. I'll keep an eye out for that. As I was playing around with it a day ago I noticed my negative battery connection was a little loose. I tightened it up and everything seems OK. It's going to take a few rides before I completely regain confidence, but I think I found the problem. Thanks for the help, fellas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.