Polish fuel cap - Page 2 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 08-21-2019, 5:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Well I can save you some time. Or maybe not. I've got a aftermarket gas cap that had the CBR logo on it but it was black. I had taken the black off tried engraving around the logo and gotten my feel of it. So I wet sanded it by hand and by grit in stages. I'll give you the gas cap. If you buy the gas tank I wanted to sell with it. In all seriousness though they look good but it to much up keep on polished metal's for me. Just my opinion,I'd go with chrome. I polished the rims on my 954 and man their a pain to to keep em looking good. But I'm kinda (really) picky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 08-21-2019, 6:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Polish fuel cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
What do you do to protect the bare aluminium? My newly acquired bike is driving me insane. Drizzled on the tow back with an open trailer...

I tried sealing it with some simple rain-x spray wax for now, we'll see how that goes. Tired of walking into the garage to find a new oxidization spot each day.

Also, is that solo tail OEM? Very nice.
IanDoohan likes this.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-24-2019, 9:36 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualheadlamps View Post
What do you do to protect the bare aluminium? My newly acquired bike is driving me insane. Drizzled on the tow back with an open trailer...

I tried sealing it with some simple rain-x spray wax for now, we'll see how that goes. Tired of walking into the garage to find a new oxidization spot each day.

Also, is that solo tail OEM? Very nice.
My OCD kept it gleaming all the time. Oxidation was never a problem because I kept it at a high polish all the time. Rarely used water to clean it, and I did, I used a leaf blower to dry all the nooks and crannies before a light cotton towel rub and mother's mag polish. It really maintains itself if the polish job is done right. It's just polished, no wax, sealer, protectant, nothing.

Thanks man! The tail was a Sharkskinz unit, aftermarket fiberglass. My current 93's is the same unit.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 Old 08-25-2019, 4:42 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb

^^^^

Bleedin' heck Ian. You've got the original Erion Can I've been looking for.

I'll PM my details so you can add a codicil to your Will.
IanDoohan likes this.

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R / 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #20 of 22 Old 08-25-2019, 10:11 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
^^^^

Bleedin' heck Ian. You've got the original Erion Can I've been looking for.

I'll PM my details so you can add a codicil to your Will.
Send it

Yes, and the can is about a km long too, original black deliciousness
nigelrb likes this.

post #21 of 22 Old 08-26-2019, 4:26 PM
LDH

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Little funny story from about 2 decades ago. I did this to a Honda VTR250 cap which looks like the caps on the fireblade, but it is a solid cap that comes completely off the tank

I started wet sanding it with like 800grit then went to 1200grit and finished with 1500grit and hit it with the Mothers Polish in between each of those. Took several days to do it and when it was done it was just like a mirror!

Well what I didn't pay much attention to was the flip tang that you put your finger on to pull up and expose the keyhole underneath. All that sanding had turned the leading of that that tang into a razor sharp edge and the first time I went to pry it up with my finger it cut me damn near to the bone!

EDIT found an old pic of it albeit not a very good one, did the bar end weights the same way then clear coated them to keep them from getting water spots etc
Attached Thumbnails
vtr6.jpg‎  
IanDoohan likes this.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-26-2019, 4:50 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Little funny story from about 2 decades ago. I did this to a Honda VTR250 cap which looks like the caps on the fireblade, but it is a solid cap that comes completely off the tank

I started wet sanding it with like 800grit then went to 1200grit and finished with 1500grit and hit it with the Mothers Polish in between each of those. Took several days to do it and when it was done it was just like a mirror!

Well what I didn't pay much attention to was the flip tang that you put your finger on to pull up and expose the keyhole underneath. All that sanding had turned the leading of that that tang into a razor sharp edge and the first time I went to pry it up with my finger it cut me damn near to the bone!

EDIT found an old pic of it albeit not a very good one, did the bar end weights the same way then clear coated them to keep them from getting water spots etc

oooooooouuuuuuuuuucccccccccchhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page