Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

SC28 Fork Bottom Cosmetic Refresh

6K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  Duncan893 
#1 ·
Has anyone performed a cosmetic refresh on stonechipped SC28 fork bottoms, please?

How far did you go?

And, how good were the results?

Any recommendations?

P.S. Is it possible (sensible?) to disassemble the bronze anodised part from the silver painted part?

#3 ·
Hello Gunk. Right, full disclosure <deep breath>: Yes, my bike is a UK '93 RR-P and is A Keeper. I was planning a maintenance refresh of the front forks, but, also had planned changing to have compression damping adjustment. I want to maintain OE appearance, so I needed 2nd Gen SC28 (UK '94/95 = RR-R/S) forks with the Bronze tubes. After a while, a Used pair turned up on eBay that looked OK. They were mechanically/hydraulically fine. Viewed from 3m, or on a Track bike, they are cosmetically fine. However, from 1m on a - to be pampered - road bike, the appearance needs to be improved. So these forks, are those forks ........ they are stripped for oil/bush/seal refreshing, and while in that condition, it's an ideal time to address the cosmetics. The question is, what is possible ........ :smile

Attachments

#5 ·
I think @89forever did his lower fork tubes, but can't be 100% sure.

In the UK you guys call a "vapour blast"? I would take all the innards out, and get the lowers blasted. Removing the bronze portion on these old girls may end up being pandora's box. Back in the day too there was a recall for them cracking, so the less tooling they get the better (can't recall which years got the recall lol). Even a vapour blast and a nice durable paint job would look tidy.

I have RRT forks on my RRP, sweet eBay find for the compression damping, and as you said retains the 93 look.

#7 ·
In the UK you guys call a "vapour blast"? I would take all the innards out, and get the lowers blasted. Removing the bronze portion on these old girls may end up being pandora's box. Back in the day too there was a recall for them cracking, so the less tooling they get the better (can't recall which years got the recall lol). Even a vapour blast and a nice durable paint job would look tidy.
I agree, IanDoohan. I was hoping to minimise the visibility of the rash/scratching on the bronze anodising in some way as well. But, if not, you are right.

#8 ·
With regards your awesome RR-T forks, IanDoohan ....... what is it about beautifully engineered stuff that is so appealing?

On a minor aside, a female friend recently told me that she had just spent a (FRANKLY INCREDIBLE!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!!) amount of money on a ..... handbag.

It has taken me many, many years, but, now, I have a coping technique: I mentally substitute the word "handbag".

So, what I actually heard was:

"Hey Duncan, I think that I have done something really silly. I've just spent £X,000 on <delete> 'a Handbag', <substitiute> some NOS RR-P forks and a Nitron race rear suspension unit with hydraulic pre-load adjustment. What do you think?".

It makes it very easy to be supportive, and I can say with great honesty:

"Well Done! I'll bet you are really pleased! I am sure that is a great investment! AND, I'll bet that you get great pleasure every time you look at them ....... er ....... it!".

Seemed to work for both of us ........

#10 ·
That’s a great paint finish to the lowers, 89forever! I’ve seen a couple of non-silver finishes and it makes a big difference to the look of the forks.

Your anodised tubes look very Ohlins Gold in colour. Did you refurbish that area of the forks as well?

Are your compression damping adjusters OE, anodised red? Or, an upgrade?

#14 ·
? I wasn’t expecting the On-road drama of a high-side ? and certainly wasn’t expecting the On-line drama with our friend about oversized bores ? the On-bikebuild dramas were made minor by your pragmatic pursuit of the vision. All good reading ? ...... but maybe not a book, just yet ?

#16 ·
Right. Inspired by 89forever's solution, I am erring toward paint for both the uppers (bronze anodised) and lowers (silver painted).

Although I do like the "Ohlins" gold ?, I am not going to copy ?. I’m going to go for the closest match to the OE "bronze".

So, your help is requested, please:

Which House of Colour paint code do you think gives the best match to OE anodised?

If you go to the website:

https://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors

And, filter under Finish by Kandy ........

........ and then filter under Colour by (Gold? Orange?) ............

........... which one do you think is the best match, please?

#18 ·
Hello IanDoohan, I was not aware that you didn't get the "bronze" forks!?! Huh.

I posted some pictures of the '94 fork legs - with scratches and gravel rash, in need of this restoration - on the third post of this thread.

Attached are my '93 forks (no compression adjustment) on the bike ......

Attachments

#24 ·
Thank you Ian, Thank you Nigel.

If it helps (although it might hinder) ....... on examination the brake pistons are all a bit sticky and the hoses are OE and therefore 26 years old, so over winter I am going to perform a full brake system refresh.

In preparation, I bought some spare calipers (this bike is A Keeper, so spares will be needed at some point) - which, along with the seals/banjos/pins/stainless bolts, involved a cosmetic re-paint - and while I was at it, I may as well have changed the colour, right? So they have gone from Black to the "Honda" Gold ....... and the HEL hoses are Carbon.

Oh, Crumbs! I really should have a had a holistic plan on the various colours: I feel like I am playing "one-move-at-a-time-chess" <sigh>.

Attachments

#25 ·
While researching various things I found ........

OLDRR - 1992 CBR900RR REVIVAL - HoonTV

...... Mr Boxer seems to have had a highly consistent plan on his colour scheme!

Along with all of the other Black Powder coating (frame/swingarm) the fork bottoms & calipers are all black too, offset nicely with the U.S. style White colour scheme for the fairing & tank.

It has something of an Erion Racing 929 vibe to me. Good Job!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.