954 puzzle - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-01-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 puzzle

Greetings all,

Having many years ago owned a 918 Blade, I'm now the new owner of an 2003 954 in Blue. Totally standard (at present) with only 11K miles and 2 owners from new, yes a good find indeed......I hope!

First impressions its a very well looked after bike, handles v well, stops amazingly (better than my old 08 R1 track bike) and goes pretty well to.

The bike has been used very little, certainly for the last 2 years and this may be the route of my issue. It sounds great when revving it out of gear and pulls away well and goes through the gears pretty well (I know the gearbox isn't a particularly strong point but everything stays where it should up and down the box) but when the throttle is closed in gear particularly in second/third (this may be because there is more wind/engine noise in higher gears, so can't hear) it makes a sort of continuous ticking type noise, that goes away when you start accelerating again. I've had two mechanic friends listen to this, the first thought it was a drive issue, it wasn't, I checked the chain and sprockets; someone else suggested a tensioner issue but its only in gear so can't be this. Someone else suggested it may be the clutch basket and/or perhaps a clutch plate had got stuck and pulled away some material when freeing up; anyone had any experience of this or sensible suggestions?

I've changed the oil/filter and brake fluid. Future plans are for MCT (suspension experts here in the UK) to replace front fork springs with something a little firmer, new oil and re-valve, rear just needs new oil and a re-valve, then just a race can for the minute. I have a tendency to get carried away with upgrades, so want to be sensible for now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: 954 puzzle

Hi and welcome.

I have a 954 but am unable to assist with any guidance to your problems.

Once sorted, you'll find it's a great bike.

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R / 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #3 of 10 Old 08-02-2019, 9:50 AM Thread Starter

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-07-2019, 7:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

not sure I am helping but I have a 900 which does all of the above, though I haven't fixed it yet I have done some research. Let me know if this helps, likewise please post updates as I am following this topic.

Clutch Basket rattling seems to change or go away once the clutch is depressed, mine does this. I've found if the carbs are balanced the problem also goes aware or more specifically unbalanced carbs cause the engine to rattle. Usually the sound comes from down in the crank case. I've also found this is a pretty slow rattle consistent with idle noise

Cam Rattle is heard in the upper head, usually at lower rpms but once you get on it and accelerate into the 3K plus it completely goes away. I think this may be the cam rollers slapping the valve lifter because the shim needs to be replaced. This is a higher pitched noise and is clearly in the valve cover area. Usually the old screw driver stethoscope technique will confirm.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-08-2019, 4:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts; unfortunately we think it's a gearbox issue, third gear has probably lost a tooth. Next step is to have a look. I think this is being done with the box still in place but its going to be expensive. Luckily the previous owner has manned up and agreed to pay 1K towards it.

I have a friend who used to race a 929 which is essentially the same and he described the gearbox as like cheese and had two go on him, mine hasn't had a hard life but I see people strongly suggest a Gillies gear support bracket is used to help protect the gearbox, I'm going to invest in one of those after this.

I'll update the post with findings.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

guessing it only does this while the clutch is disengaged. I did a rebuild on my gear box, this was for the falling out of second gear. I had paul gast (fast by gast) rebuild the gears and undercut them. Been amazingly solid ever since, and this is with 11k down shifts. good luck

btw (not sure the differences between the 918 and 954) but the crank case has to be separated to remove the gears. You should be able to peer in from the removed oil sump
post #7 of 10 Old 08-09-2019, 2:45 AM Thread Starter

You can hear the noise with clutch in or out.

Not sure the difference either but am told they should be able to get to it without full disassembly. Booked in 20/08 fingers crossed.Glad yours is all good.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-11-2019, 5:14 AM

My bike had a tick that sounded like the valve clearance was too large. It would tick when the bike was cold and when I backed off. The loudest was when backed off. It turned out to be piston slap. Once I had the head off I could rock the pistons back and forth a fair old whack. As it is a bit of a mission to get the head off there are a few things you could try first.
See if the cam chain adjuster has let it slack off.
Check the valve clearance.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-12-2019, 2:28 PM Thread Starter

Definitely not valves or cam chain unfortunately. It is a surprise that a road bike with 11K should have a gearbox issue but almost certain thats what it is. Will have fuller details after 21/08.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-12-2019, 2:34 PM Thread Starter

Pic of bike
Attached Thumbnails
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2d4.jpg‎  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page