Cbr900rr starter trouble - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-04-2019, 4:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Cbr900rr starter trouble

Hi. I bought a 1999 cbr900rr 3years ago and the plan was to build a Street fighter. Because of various reasons i never got to it so the bike has been sitting in the garage for 3 years. And now i want to sell it. But before i can do that i have to get it startes.
Here is where the problem begins.
First i bought a New battery. Charged it for One Day and installed it to the bike. It showed 12.8v.
When i pushed the start button the start relay made clicking sounds. So when i took of the contact it was all corroded. So i used some fine sand paper and cleaned the pins and change the connectors. When i now try to start it made 1 loud click. Now im thinking the starter is done. I try to connect the battery directly to the starter but when i do it sparks from the Cable and dosnt turn. Then i take the starter out and the brushes looks fine. I connect the battery to the starter when its out and it then turns but there are alot of sparking from Cables. I put it back in and try the battery directly to the starter and it dosnt turn. Now im thinking maby the battery is bad. So i take the battery out of my Harley that i know works and connect it to the bike. Push the start button and the starter turns for a sec but not more. I put the battery back in the Harley and try to start it and it starts at once. Iv checked if the engine is siezed but its not. I dont know where to go from here?
Does anyone have aby tips?
Also when i test for continuity i get a signal from positive to negative on the starter. Is that supposed to be like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-04-2019, 11:07 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage
Re: Cbr900rr starter trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldurq View Post
Hi. I bought a 1999 cbr900rr 3years ago and the plan was to build a Street fighter. Because of various reasons i never got to it so the bike has been sitting in the garage for 3 years. And now i want to sell it. But before i can do that i have to get it startes.
Here is where the problem begins.
First i bought a New battery. Charged it for One Day and installed it to the bike. It showed 12.8v.
When i pushed the start button the start relay made clicking sounds. So when i took of the contact it was all corroded. So i used some fine sand paper and cleaned the pins and change the connectors. When i now try to start it made 1 loud click. Now im thinking the starter is done. I try to connect the battery directly to the starter but when i do it sparks from the Cable and dosnt turn. Then i take the starter out and the brushes looks fine. I connect the battery to the starter when its out and it then turns but there are alot of sparking from Cables. I put it back in and try the battery directly to the starter and it dosnt turn. Now im thinking maby the battery is bad. So i take the battery out of my Harley that i know works and connect it to the bike. Push the start button and the starter turns for a sec but not more. I put the battery back in the Harley and try to start it and it starts at once. Iv checked if the engine is siezed but its not. I dont know where to go from here?
Does anyone have aby tips?
Also when i test for continuity i get a signal from positive to negative on the starter. Is that supposed to be like that?
Did it start after you first bought it? What has changed in the 3 years that its sat?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 4 Old 08-04-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Yes it did. Nothing has changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-05-2019, 4:32 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage
Re: Cbr900rr starter trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldurq View Post
Yes it did. Nothing has changed.
The cables will spark like crazy when a bench test is made on the starter. If the starter spins out of the bike but not in the bike, I would then guess the engine is locked up.

Sounds like a hydrolock maybe? How well does it spin using a wrench? 360 degrees?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page