Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1996 Fireblade 900RR side stand

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  nigelrb 
#1 ·
Hi all,
First post on this forum.

Bought the above as an addition to my wee stable to be my regular runaround and I have it running fine now. However, there is one small non engine niggle.
I have to regulary travel on inter island ferries and the side stand seems a poor design as the bike sits very upright and I can't get off the bike, when onboard, as may topple. Was onboard yesterday with a guy on a 1989 GSX-R750 and he had no issue putting the bike on stand and was able to leave the bike. Bikes are not strapped down on these journeys.

Question, is there an upgraded stand (obviously not paddock) that is longer and leans the bike out?
Thought I'd ask before I start cutting up and welding up a custom fit.
Thanks folks.
JB

#5 ·
Lucky for you I ride to work today. Here's my bike and closeup, stock stand. I'll agree it's more upright than the r6 also pictured. Very similar lean to the versys 650 next to it though

Attachments

#6 ·
Skant, your bike looks like exactly what he's talking about. Yours seems a bit too upright as well. Can you post a pic of it from the side? Or perhaps the relationship of your pipe to the axle nut? Is your suspension lowered? clapped out? or modded in a way to make it stand like that? I've always taken photos of mine on the rear stand, even my first 93, unfortunately I have no side stand pics.

#9 ·
My '98 also leaned over more than I was comfortable with, similar to Gunks, though I do have a Nitron shock. I ended up fitted a slightly longer stand from a GSXR so I could stop worrying about it.

Even with standard rear suspension it's possible to fit the "triangle" incorrectly which IIRC will cause the ride height to be increased. The other possibility is that the wrong rear shock has been fitted, different years were slightly different lengths:

CBR900RR 1992-1995 319mm
CBR900RR 1996-1997 305mm
CBR900RR 1998-1999 303mm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.