954/929 crankshaft - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dealia

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-05-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
954/929 crankshaft

Hello guys!
I've been trying to rebuild my 02 954 for the past 3 months and i'm about to lose my ****.
The bike developed a rod knock so I tared it apart and found a couple of spun bearings. The crank was also damaged so I took it to a machine shop to get it rebalanced and polished. The guy who owns the shop "fixed" it, but I felt like the dude was pulling my finger so I took it to a freind who has a bike service shop just for a second opinion. The machine shop guy had indeed polished and balanced the crank, but my friend said that the crank was originally damaged beyond repair and that my engine would grenade in no time if I reassembled it. But he said that some dude left a 929 engine, because the engine mounts were broken and that if the cranks are the same he would give me the engine for free. I've heard that the 929/954 engines are the same except for the 1mm difference in the bore.
Can someone tell me if that crank is gonna fit in my engine before I throw the bike off a cliff with the machine shop dude tied to it.
Rocket82 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-07-2019, 2:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It should.run the parts number I would check the bearing clearances before I would assemble for sure.. I've got 2 954 motors and but the blocks have different letter stamped into them.the letters are there in order to crank bearings.im not to sure
post #3 of 7 Old 09-07-2019, 7:22 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: 954/929 crankshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealia View Post
Hello guys!
I've been trying to rebuild my 02 954 for the past 3 months and i'm about to lose my ****.
The bike developed a rod knock so I tared it apart and found a couple of spun bearings. The crank was also damaged so I took it to a machine shop to get it rebalanced and polished. The guy who owns the shop "fixed" it, but I felt like the dude was pulling my finger so I took it to a freind who has a bike service shop just for a second opinion. The machine shop guy had indeed polished and balanced the crank, but my friend said that the crank was originally damaged beyond repair and that my engine would grenade in no time if I reassembled it. But he said that some dude left a 929 engine, because the engine mounts were broken and that if the cranks are the same he would give me the engine for free. I've heard that the 929/954 engines are the same except for the 1mm difference in the bore.
Can someone tell me if that crank is gonna fit in my engine before I throw the bike off a cliff with the machine shop dude tied to it.
Partzilla has the 929 (00-01) and the 954 (02-03) showing different part numbers, so unless you find someone that has done it and says its OK, I'm saying they are different and won't work (only based on the part numbers being different, and not being cross compatible according to Partzilla).

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2019, 7:17 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

This suggests it is possible:

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/ho...954-crank.html
post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 6:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It wonít work trust Iím dealing with that right now as My old mechanic dropped my 929 and put a 954 on my bike and havenít done nothing else after and took it to another shop and he doing the same thing which is frustrating and planning on grabbing my bike from them and work on it myself
post #6 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 6:01 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Garage

Thanks for the response guys!
Well I did check the parts number and they are different, but I can't understand what the difference is since the stroke is the same (54) and the sprocket has the same number of teeth.
Also as far as my understanding of these engines goes the only difference is the 1mm overbore on the 954rr (and the electronics and fuel delivery system of course).
Really can't make up my mind if weather I should trust the machine shop dude and put new bearings and call it good or put the 29 crank.
Something tells me that it is going to grenade either way, but I wont know unless I try.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 7:59 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket82 View Post
It wonít work trust Iím dealing with that right now as My old mechanic dropped my 929 and put a 954 on my bike and havenít done nothing else after and took it to another shop and he doing the same thing which is frustrating and planning on grabbing my bike from them and work on it myself

So what's the actual problem that prevents the crank being used?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page