03 honda cbr954rr stalls on idle & hard to start when warm - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By machinehead
  • 1 Post By Mattmk1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-19-2019, 2:45 PM Thread Starter
ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

03 honda cbr954rr stalls on idle & hard to start when warm

hi guys i have an issue with my 03 honda cbr954rr it starts great when cold but as it reaches working temperature the bike idle drops then it stalls then & its very hard to restart when hot. I have changed the temperature sensor & camshaft sensor & the crankshaft sensor & map sensor i even installed different set of throttle bodies & synced them also. Am still having the same issue i even added an extra ground on the bike & it charges @ 14.5 volts & it doesnt idle below 1500rpm either some help would be greatly appreciated guys thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-02-2019, 8:26 AM

Re: 03 honda cbr954rr stalls on idle & hard to start when warm

Wow ti, I'm experiencing the same concern as you and am at wits end. I have a 2004 Blade and she starts like a dream when cold. As soon as she reaches running temp or even slightly before and I switch her off, she refuses to start up. She will crank over fine, (no battery concern even including jumping), but will not take. I've changed everything as you have except the map sensor, I've even replaced starter, petrol pump, injectors and spark plugs. Sometimes she will crank over for 30 secs or more and then eventually stumble into an idle. Then she rides as if nothing was ever wrong, and then ooh don't switch her off, she'll just crank over and over. If somebody could give further advice, it would be really highly appreciated.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-07-2019, 6:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

I suspect you've a bad earth or power feed in the loom. Get it gets hot the connection is too poor to get decent spark under cranking, but not bad enough to stop it running if its already running. Believe me, I have chased my tail on my 929 even to the point of changing the injector loom, spark/coil loom, all sensors, ran pressure test on the fuel pump, a workshop I gave it to replaced the FPR with no effect other than emptying my wallet! Mine would not start, sometimes every day for a week it would be ok then nothing. If i stopped when the bike was hot there was no chance to restart until it cooled, even then t might not start for ages. On only 2 occasions that I recall did it present itself when riding though, and it was stopping the bike revving over 4,500ish, as if there was fuel starvation.

This electrical fix was the only thing that fixed the problem! This orange connector sits inside the loom and corrodes like sh1t! I ended up cutting it out, soldering all the black/white wires together, and all the greens together, insulating it all and rewinding the section of loom with tape. The black/white wires feed power to the injectors with the ignition on, and each of the spark plug coils. The greens are all earths to various parts of the bike. It shouldn't be necessary but I did disconnect the battery before hand just in case of any shorts! This is a know problem having spoken to a couple of ex-Honda bike mechanics.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3597.JPG‎   IMG_3594.JPG‎  
nigelrb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 9:59 PM

Machinehead, thanks for the advice, I will check it out this weekend and let you know what the results are, I'm holding thumbs. I've already checked so many things, there cannot be too many options left to check. If it turns out to be the problem, I'll let you know immediately. I appreciate the advice dude. Tx again.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2019, 6:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had this when I first purchased my 929, I found the dealer had overfilled with oil in the service.

When hot, the bike was breathing oil up into the air box, it wasn’t a problem when riding but on idle it would slowly choke the bike out.

I drained 400ml of oil and never had an issue since.

Worth checking!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2019, 7:39 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmk1 View Post
I had this when I first purchased my 929, I found the dealer had overfilled with oil in the service.
Bloody hell!!

I would have been fuming!!

Such a shame that many dealers can't be trusted.

My recent gripe was that after a basic service on my 2018 Blade, I got home and there was oil from chain fling all over the rear wheel and underseat. I complained to my dealer (they know I'm pedantic) and was told: 'If we don't put a lot on people complain that we didn't oil the chain.'

Friggin' idiots.

I'd love to work in a restaurant where they go for their next dinner. I'd be flooding their plate with friggin' mustard: 'Oh, sorry sir. If we don't put a lot on people say we didn't prepare it properly.'

2020 CBR1000RR-R SP (on order) / 2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R / 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2019, 9:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It’s actually quite a sad story because the previous owner had it serviced, then sold it more cheaply to me because of this running issue.

It also had the engine management light on - dealer said it was due to exhaust servo delete and nothing could be done....the bike has a healtech servo delete and the management light was actually dead throttle sensor.

I’m always shocked at the work dealers do, but I rebuild classic cars and wouldn’t let anyone touch my bikes for this reason.

When I bought my s1000rr the seller said oh the oil sump is leaking. Fine, I buy the bike, strip it down....sump is fine, the dealer had smashed so much oil on the chain it was running down the front sprocket cover and over the sump in a black gooey mess. Guy had took it to the dealer and they diagnosed he needed a new sump.

Ridiculous really.
nigelrb likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page