Bar ends / vibration dampeners - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-06-2019, 1:34 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 09-25-2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Bar ends / vibration dampeners

hey guys, first time poster here.

I have an 02 954rr that I've been riding for one season now. I just decided to replace the grips and in doing so realized that I am missing my vibration dampener insert on my throttle side handlebar. I am talking about the factory weight that is about 6" long that slides inside the handlebar tube (along with the bushings, clip etc -- all missing). The plastic slider on the end was just held in with the original allen bolt, and then a nut and some rubber and metal washers, with no weight inside the bar.

On the clutch side, the whole assembly was intact, and i did manage to remove it, but boogered up some of the pieces in the process.

My question is I see a wide array of bar end weights all over amazon and ebay but I'm unclear if these are designed to absorb vibration - and if so is there a model that can be used without the factory weight inserted into the bar. It does look like i can rebuild my factory vibration dampeners through the OEM catalog or can I use one of these aftermarket bar end weights with similar results?

This is kind of ironic because I have recently noticed a fair amount of vibration in my arms while riding. So I'm looking for some exeperienced advice on what you guys would do because I want it to work. Ditch the factory weights for some aftermarket weighted bar ends, or rebuild the factory weights, or something else?
rOob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 10-07-2019, 4:00 AM
 
Join Date: 05-09-2019
Location: UK
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1
 
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by rOob View Post
hey guys, first time poster here.

I have an 02 954rr that I've been riding for one season now. I just decided to replace the grips and in doing so realized that I am missing my vibration dampener insert on my throttle side handlebar. I am talking about the factory weight that is about 6" long that slides inside the handlebar tube (along with the bushings, clip etc -- all missing). The plastic slider on the end was just held in with the original allen bolt, and then a nut and some rubber and metal washers, with no weight inside the bar.

On the clutch side, the whole assembly was intact, and i did manage to remove it, but boogered up some of the pieces in the process.

My question is I see a wide array of bar end weights all over amazon and ebay but I'm unclear if these are designed to absorb vibration - and if so is there a model that can be used without the factory weight inserted into the bar. It does look like i can rebuild my factory vibration dampeners through the OEM catalog or can I use one of these aftermarket bar end weights with similar results?

This is kind of ironic because I have recently noticed a fair amount of vibration in my arms while riding. So I'm looking for some exeperienced advice on what you guys would do because I want it to work. Ditch the factory weights for some aftermarket weighted bar ends, or rebuild the factory weights, or something else?
Hello rOob.

We need a proper m/c chassis engineer for the full facts and data behind this, however .......

In theory, if you want to keep vibration & therefore tingles down (to the levels of the original design) you need to maintain the same Bar End Mass and the same (effective) Isolation Rubber Stiffness & Damping.

So, by example, replacing steel bar ends, with aluminium bar ends of the same size and therefore 1/3rd of the mass, would not give the same vibration damping effect ......

I'm not keen on losing the blood flow &/or feeling in my fingers, but I have changed my Bar Ends for entirely cosmetic reasons. The ones that I use are Stainless Steel (with plastic outer end), roughly the same mass as OE, and bolt straight into the original inserts, using the OE rubbers.

Not sure how long it would take the rubber isolation to degrade changing stiffness/damping, but they are not expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 08.26.20.png‎   Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 08.38.09.png‎  
nigelrb likes this.
Duncan893 is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 10-07-2019, 4:31 AM
Supporting Member
 
nigelrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-2019
Location: Worcester, England
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7
           
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

I have fitted Grip Puppies to a couple of bikes to counter vibration.

https://motorcycleparts-uk.co.uk/pro...hoCYtMQAvD_BwE

Less vibration, but it makes the grips a larger circumference so takes a bit of getting used to. Perhaps I could also benefit from better dampeners. Shall do some research!
Duncan893 likes this.

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R / 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
nigelrb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 Old 10-07-2019, 8:25 AM
 
Join Date: 05-09-2019
Location: UK
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1
 
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan893 View Post
Hello rOob.

We need a proper m/c chassis engineer for the full facts and data behind this, however .......

In theory, if you want to keep vibration & therefore tingles down (to the levels of the original design) you need to maintain the same Bar End Mass and the same (effective) Isolation Rubber Stiffness & Damping.

So, by example, replacing steel bar ends, with aluminium bar ends of the same size and therefore 1/3rd of the mass, would not give the same vibration damping effect ......

I'm not keen on losing the blood flow &/or feeling in my fingers, but I have changed my Bar Ends for entirely cosmetic reasons. The ones that I use are Stainless Steel (with plastic outer end), roughly the same mass as OE, and bolt straight into the original inserts, using the OE rubbers.

Not sure how long it would take the rubber isolation to degrade changing stiffness/damping, but they are not expensive.
I have these on the XX and the RR-P:

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype...Sliders/Honda/
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 09.04.44.png‎  
Duncan893 is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 10-07-2019, 8:33 AM
 
Join Date: 05-09-2019
Location: UK
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1
 
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
I have fitted Grip Puppies to a couple of bikes to counter vibration.

https://motorcycleparts-uk.co.uk/pro...hoCYtMQAvD_BwE

Less vibration, but it makes the grips a larger circumference so takes a bit of getting used to. Perhaps I could also benefit from better dampeners. Shall do some research!
Research! Good Job, Nigel.

My 20p bet would be that the bar end dampers are for vibration from (multi-cylinder, high-er rpm) engine harmonics.

Your Puppies will also isolate your hands from road surface roughness ......
Duncan893 is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 10-07-2019, 8:43 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 09-25-2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Thanks for the insight. Ended up ordering all the missing pieces off an OEM parts website.

One question. The OEM bar sliders, the actual bar ends, are those weighted as well or are they just plastic?
Duncan893 likes this.
rOob is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 10-07-2019, 9:34 AM
Supporting Member
 
Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-22-2015
Location: Oxford, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rOob View Post
Thanks for the insight. Ended up ordering all the missing pieces off an OEM parts website.

One question. The OEM bar sliders, the actual bar ends, are those weighted as well or are they just plastic?
They are aluminium

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
Gunk is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 10-07-2019, 9:49 AM
Supporting Member
 
nigelrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-2019
Location: Worcester, England
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7
           
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan893 View Post
I have these on the XX and the RR-P:

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype...Sliders/Honda/
With the greatest respect, I try to avoid R & G as much as possible. I strongly object to their manner of plastering their logo so prominently on many of their products. Fortunately, the rad guards and tail tidies are 'discretely' marked.

Just sayin', by the way.
Gunk and Duncan893 like this.

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R / 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
nigelrb is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 10-07-2019, 11:38 AM
 
Join Date: 05-09-2019
Location: UK
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1
 
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
They are aluminium
Quote:
Originally Posted by rOob View Post
Thanks for the insight. Ended up ordering all the missing pieces off an OEM parts website.

One question. The OEM bar sliders, the actual bar ends, are those weighted as well or are they just plastic?
Hello rOob, Did you mean the Honda OE bar ends Item #8 on the exploded view above?

If so, they are steel, black painted .......
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 16.36.28.png‎  
Gunk likes this.
Duncan893 is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 AM
 
Join Date: 05-09-2019
Location: UK
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1
 
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
With the greatest respect, I try to avoid R & G as much as possible. I strongly object to their manner of plastering their logo so prominently on many of their products. Fortunately, the rad guards and tail tidies are 'discretely' marked.

Just sayin', by the way.
Hahahaha! I completely empathise Nigel!

The other day I had a partial Basil Fawlty moment, as in about to beat an inanimate object with a tree branch ......

I ordered some R&G Radiator Guard rectangular sheet. The advert photo had a large R&G logo on it, but 1/ I looked carefully, and the logo was clearly also crossing the holes in the mesh, so was just a watermark on the photo, and 2/ who would want to cut the sheet and have a part of the R&G logo on their radiator guard, madness, right? Nope. It turned up with the logo?!? I was about to go into the garden to get a branch when I realised that it was only on one side, so can be hidden on the inside of the fairing. But, I will know that it is there ...... ......

I only get the Bar End sliders because they are, as you say, discreetly marked.

P.S. "With the greatest of respect"
nigelrb likes this.
Duncan893 is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 10-07-2019, 5:44 PM
Supporting Member
 
Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-22-2015
Location: Oxford, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23
                     
Garage
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan893 View Post
Hello rOob, Did you mean the Honda OE bar ends Item #8 on the exploded view above?

If so, they are steel, black painted .......
I stand corrected, I was sure they were ally billet
Duncan893 likes this.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
Gunk is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 10-12-2019, 5:53 AM
Supporting Member
 
Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-22-2015
Location: Oxford, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23
                     
Garage
The OEM bar ends on my RR-P are Aluminium, I’ve just checked with a magnet.
Duncan893 likes this.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
Gunk is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 10-12-2019, 10:46 AM
 
Join Date: 05-09-2019
Location: UK
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1
 
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
The OEM bar ends on my RR-P are Aluminium, Iíve just checked with a magnet.
I sit corrected, until proven innocent, Gunk.

Iím going to check the OE bar ends that I have up in the loft.

When I say OE, I mean originally on my bikes - none of which I have owned from new.

P.S. Aluminium bar ends donít feel like they have enough mass to work the rubbers and damp out the tingles. Just saying.
Duncan893 is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 10-12-2019, 10:49 AM
 
Join Date: 05-09-2019
Location: UK
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1
 
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by rOob View Post
Thanks for the insight. Ended up ordering all the missing pieces off an OEM parts website.

One question. The OEM bar sliders, the actual bar ends, are those weighted as well or are they just plastic?
Hello rOob. Have you had a delivery of your parts yet? If so, what are the bar ends made of, please?
Duncan893 is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 10-12-2019, 12:21 PM
 
Join Date: 05-09-2019
Location: UK
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1
 
Re: Bar ends / vibration dampeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
The OEM bar ends on my RR-P are Aluminium, Iíve just checked with a magnet.

Uh-Oh. My apologies, Gunk. Humble pie is about to be prepared for dinner. Another set are non-magnetic, but, very heavy for aluminium .......
Duncan893 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome