Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

2020 Fireblade - EICMA

6K views 74 replies 9 participants last post by  nigelrb 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Agree. I said on another Honda forum: 'Not sure what I think at the moment. It does look a bit chunky and bitzy as in no smooth lines.'

Didn't stop me going to my local dealer this morning to make further enquiries. But alas, they claim to not know price or release date.

#27 ·
UK prices just released on this bike:

Base model: £19,999

SP: £23,499

Honda might be pricing themselves out of the market with this. The SP has fewer extras than previous SPs, and arguably offers less 'value' than Yamaha's R1M. SP's only upgrades are Ohlins, Brembos (front) and QS.

However, with a new release, I can't see dealers offering any incentives - especially at the moment when we're talking an official April release.

#31 ·
Couldn't wait. Went to NEC today!

EEeeek. What a tight fit this new Blade is. I'll be enrolling for calisthenics lessons.:frown

Lovely bike, but very tight in the hip to knee bend to ankle. Handlebars reach is okay, but no one over 5'9" will do more than 50 miles on the thing at a stretch.

#35 ·
I sincerely hope that Honda do a better job on the CBR-RRRR than Yamaha did on the 2016 R1M, Roger.

I have to say that the FIE BlackBird is fine. And, the only time I was distracted by the FIE on the 929 was the Melbourne Loop at Donington. But both of those engines are not challenging any chemistry, physics and electronic controls like the new ones.

When riding the R1M briskly, trail braking into hairpins/tight corners …. just as you started to open the throttle: no fuel ….. no fuel …… bang! A big spike of torque.

In Mode C: (Calm Mode) it was intrusive.
In Mode B: (Barking-mad mode) it was unpleasant
In Mode A: (Very eff-ing ANGRY!!! mode) it was horrible.

No hairpins, slow tight corners and it was evident, but not a problem at all.

And, riding briskly on full gas in Angry Mode was …… really most impressive. :devil

When you read about what people had to do to get around it: replace exhaust system re-map the ECU etc etc it was very silly. It was the single biggest reason that I sold the bike.

After that bike, I swore that I would never buy another bike without riding one first ……… :angel

However, when I look at the pictures, I know that I am a shallow man whose head can be turned, very easily. :kiss :grin :nworthy2:

Just off to the NEC Bike show to see the CBR-gRRRRRR! :devil

Attachments

#36 ·
Ah, Duncan. The R1M (2020) was my 2nd choice. Not sure if I had posted this earlier, but I had pledged that if Honda did another 3 white stripes as an update for 2020 I would be migrating. I'd looked and sat on the 'std' R1 at a local dealer and was impressed. More impressed of course, with the R1M. For me, the ergonomics are perfect, and a tad better than the 2017 - 19 Blade. As said, the 2020 is a very tight fit.

You've noted I have a few bikes, and a few with good electronics. I have never been plagued by probs such as you describe, but then again, I've never gone to the limits as would be stretched to on track. Still, there is plenty of correspondence on other Honda forums about the 2017 - 19 ECU not allowing for sprocket and tyre profile changes, thereby resulting in flashing codes.

Of course, venturing to the 2020 is a game move. Honda has a history of releasing a second version 'upgrade' (or 'correction' it would be called in the Honda boardrooms:eek:). The first change to the 2020, I foresee will be the footpeg position. I am sure you will agree after your session at NEC.

I hope you have a great day there. And there's also a nice R1M to sit on!!:grin

#37 ·
I hope you have a great day there. And there's also a nice R1M to sit on!!:grin
Thank you, Nigel, I had a very interesting time.

The 2020 SP Blade looks lovely with some very nice details: from the rear 'hugger' aero device thing, to having bolt locations for crash bungs that do not interfere with the bodywork (which should be mandatory on all bikes).

The Std bike looked very boring it it's black livery, leaving the SP resplendent in R/W/B and looking cool! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Luckily I did not have a rush of blood to the wallet, so it was a great day.
[Blast! I spoke too soon, I got home and placed an order for a replacement Coil-over-Damper for the RR-P].

In conclusion:
1/ There was one bike that I really, really wanted (and I have one :grin).
2/ The only other bike that I really wanted, I am unlikely to afford or am not talented enough to be offered :crying :crying :crying.
3/ There was only one other vehicle that I really, really want a go in! :nerd

P.S. The 765 looks good. You are going to have huge fun in 2020!

Attachments

#41 ·
I look forward to Nigel's review once he gets to straddle that Blade. ......
Thanks for that, and I shall willingly comply. Presently doing advanced calisthenic so I can fold into the damn thing. Wait 'til you sit on one - it sure if tight!!

We are scheduled to receive ours in April, some 2 months before USA/Canada. No idea why, but from other forum activity, I sense that USA has a glut of 2019 models, PLUS there's still more than a handful of unsold, brand new 2018 SP2s. In the meantime, I guess the British media reviews will filter across the world. Shame that money under the table sometimes tarnishes those reviews!:wink

#43 ·
Not that I am being competitive :angel, but, if we want to talk about compact bikes, this is 5'11" me at Donington on an RS250R (1992 250cc race bike, since sold) :devil.

Please take a look at where my knees are relative to my hands. Almost my entire forearm is resting on my leg. Can we agree, it is a snug fit? :eek:

Every bike that I have ridden since does not steer or handle properly ..... although a well set up RR-N/P Blade has a lot of the same characteristics. Must be in the DNA. :grin

Attachments

#48 ·
Hi Duncan.

Not re definitive delivery date. Still proposed for early April. Strangely enough though, I ordered the pillion seat cowl and that will be available to collect on March 20. That suggests shipments will arrive early using the rationale that they wouldn't send parts without bikes, although Honda will probably hold the bikes to a certain date to launch with razzmatazz!

Big hunk of deposit paid, so I'm just waiting for the word!!

I'm also pleased to learn that Evotech is tooling up for rad guards and tail tidies, etc: Products

Honda mechanics spend 3 days of last week at Bracknell on a training course, and sales staff went for a 'tutorial' this week. One was seen on a rolling road and putting out 200 bhp at the rear wheel - so I am told. (Neither here nor there for me. As long as it'll touch 60 on my fave 'A' road, I'll be happy!!:cool:)

I will update as necessary.

#53 ·
Now, now, Ian. You might not realise that I have a propensity for making 'slugs' lively! :)

Remember that I have this:

which also does little under the big seven. It is much about adaptability, as is the difference also between my VTR SP-2/RC51 and the 'basic' Blades.(y)

#52 ·
I think we're just seeing physics at play. As the power of an N/A engine goes up so does its usable RPM range and the low end suffers. Now under 7000 is "low end". Variable valve timing helps but even that is a band aid. Heck, 200 HP/Liter is now normal. The fact that these machines can be street ridden and pass noise and emissions is pretty cool. Bumping up displacemnt (even with a small wieght penalty) could keep us at 200 HP but make the machines a lot more fun in town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.