1999 CBr900rr EFI Conversion - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

10Likes
  • 1 Post By rdavidson8320
  • 1 Post By nigelrb
  • 2 Post By rdavidson8320
  • 2 Post By Scutter
  • 1 Post By Gunk
  • 1 Post By nigelrb
  • 2 Post By IanDoohan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-10-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1999 CBr900rr EFI Conversion

I have a 1999 cbr900rr. I am attempting, for no good, reason to convert it to EFI. I took a throttle body from a 929 which is 40mm. I know that the the carbs for the 99 are 38mm. I basically took the same configuration, sensors, fuel pump etc. from the 2000 and am attempting to port it over. My goal is to improve fuel economy, emissions, with a very slight power gain. I have some concerns about the CDI/ECU swap as well as mapping but I think im smart enough to stumble through it. I have other bikes and this is a side project. Any help, tips, or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

If anyone else has attempted this please tell me what not to do!!!
Duncan893 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-10-2019, 1:01 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: 1999 CBr900rr EFI Conversion

I can't offer any tips, but I am damn intrigued if you can pull this off!!

Will follow with great interest!
Duncan893 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-10-2019, 1:19 PM Thread Starter

http://sparetimegm.onlinewebshop.net...asquirted.html .......this website help immensely
nigelrb and Duncan893 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-10-2019, 1:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Garage

Why would you want to use something that is more complicated, more likely to fail, gives worse fuel economy and will, no doubt, be a complete pain in the arse to fit and get running to a satifactory standard. Carbs are relatively simple devices that work, we all now the old axiom 'if it ain't broke'. Carbs are also better from a riding point of view, I have never ridden a fuel injected bike that has the same butter smooth transition from off to on throttle, simply by the nature in which it works this is not possibly from injection. My old Blade will do 60mpg (British gallon) if I'm relatively nice to it and easily 40-50 if I'm not, everyting I've ever owned with FI does 40, whether it's been a 600, 750, or a 1000 . Thats my two pennies worth, but who am I to stop you digging a hole if you so desire.
Gunk and nigelrb like this.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-10-2019, 2:09 PM Thread Starter

Is the efi supposed to improve fuel economy? Especially while idling?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-10-2019, 4:44 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scutter View Post
Why would you want to use something that is more complicated, more likely to fail, gives worse fuel economy and will, no doubt, be a complete pain in the arse to fit and get running to a satifactory standard. Carbs are relatively simple devices that work, we all now the old axiom 'if it ain't broke'. Carbs are also better from a riding point of view, I have never ridden a fuel injected bike that has the same butter smooth transition from off to on throttle, simply by the nature in which it works this is not possibly from injection. My old Blade will do 60mpg (British gallon) if I'm relatively nice to it and easily 40-50 if I'm not, everyting I've ever owned with FI does 40, whether it's been a 600, 750, or a 1000 . Thats my two pennies worth, but who am I to stop you digging a hole if you so desire.
I was thinking the same my Keihin fuelled 893 Blade is smoother than any fuel injected or ride by wire bike Iíve ever ridden, when set up properly there no starting issues, no flat spots, just a lovely smooth power delivery in any gear. It seems like an intriguing project but IMO itís an answer to question no one has asked. But good luck with it.
Duncan893 likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-10-2019, 4:45 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavidson8320 View Post
Is the efi supposed to improve fuel economy? Especially while idling?
I think the question there is: For how long will your bike be idling?

Within a normal riding day or session, I reckon idling would cover only one or two percent of the time. So, if you average 50 mph over an hour and attain 50 mpg, for that 1% idling time you will use about 2 fluid ounces or 56.8 millilitres.

On that basis, any improvement in idling economy would be negligible.
Duncan893 likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-10-2019, 7:16 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavidson8320 View Post
I have a 1999 cbr900rr. I am attempting, for no good, reason to convert it to EFI. I took a throttle body from a 929 which is 40mm. I know that the the carbs for the 99 are 38mm. I basically took the same configuration, sensors, fuel pump etc. from the 2000 and am attempting to port it over. My goal is to improve fuel economy, emissions, with a very slight power gain. I have some concerns about the CDI/ECU swap as well as mapping but I think im smart enough to stumble through it. I have other bikes and this is a side project. Any help, tips, or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

If anyone else has attempted this please tell me what not to do!!!
The problem will be with converting everything with only one crank sensor (the ignition rotor). Typical FI bikes also have a cam position sensor, which the 900RR does not have. The injectors, coil on cap plugs, and ignition timing are all obviously controlled by a very complicated set of parameters a typical 900RR couldn't possibly fathom. BUT......

The 919 CB900F from the mid 2000's WAS fuel injected and was in essence a complete 900RR SC33 engine. The cams were "detuned" a bit and from what I remember pretty sedate map was added but, I think if you got some intake boots, the throttle bodies/injectors and a cylinder head (for the cam sensor) it might just work on a regular set of 900RR cases.

I'll be honest, I've always thought about that mod for my old 900's. Give it a bit of research
nigelrb and Duncan893 like this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
post #9 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 9:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Garage

sounds interesting project.

if you can get the 2nd pickup (the one from the cam) then you'r a lot of the way there, the rest is bold on, but you need to have the high pressure pump (60 psi) and return to the tank past the fuel pressure regulator. You might find a pump that you can fit externally to the fuel tank meaning that you can keep the original fuel tank. Wiring the ECU would be a pita and I would probably try and get a whole loom for a 929 and fit it in to your frame.

Fueling is not an real issue - just get a Power Commander and a custom map to suit. I've got 954 injectors in my 929 and have had to do this or it would massively over-fuel. Properly mapped the 919 should be sweet with the Fi. Carbs are not perfect as standard as the manufacturer still has made a bike that must meet emissions laws, and noise tests, so the fueling is a compromise anyway, and you will see this on a dyno on the power/torque lines (I have pictures somewhere before and after!). My 98 RR-W was re-jetted and had different needles (and made an extra 9 bhp) to get it properly going vs stock set-up!

HTH and keep us posted on this one!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page