Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Indicator problems.

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  machinehead 
#1 ·
So I bought these to just freshen up the Blade,

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/254256815143

Removed the original amber lenses and clear bulbs and then fitted the new clear lenses and amber bulbs. Tested them and all good.

Took the bike out and about 5 mins later no indicators, nothing. Not even the green dash indicator lights.

All indicators flash and work perfectly when I arm and disarm the datatool alarm but I get nothing at all when trying to actually indicate.

When you flick the indicator button you can hear what I’m presuming is the relay going at about twice the speed, as if a bulb is out but no indicators or green dash lights like I said.

I refitted the originals and checked all the bulbs and everything looks fine. But still no working indicators.

Has anyone any idea what this might be?

See less See more
#5 ·
I think the fuse would knock out other circuits too, there isn't just a fuse for the indicators.

two thoughts - one if the flasher relay. You could try to bypass and see it the indicators light up (they won't plash without it but you can check power/wiring is ok) or it might be dirty contacts in the left hand handlebar switch gear? I had, for a while, only RH indicators because of this and no left turn (had to go 4 times round the block before going home to avoid left turns!! :LOL: not really!!). Unlikely both ways to go at the same time so more likely something else.

I stripped the switch down, cleaned the contacts, reassembled and been a-ok since. If you do this do take care as iirc there is a spring and small ball bearing in there when you strip the switch down.

#6 ·
I did think it was the switch, reason being I had starting issues, sort of, I had to really press the starter button at time’s to fire it up. Sprayed with WD40 and all good. Kill switch was the same so my first thought was the switchgear.

I’ve given the switch a good spray with WD40 but still no luck.

It does try at times as you sometimes get a brief green indicator light on the dash.

I’m clueless about electrics so taking things off and bypassing things etc is not something I can do tbh.

Spannering and general servicing and mods, especially cars I’m not bad.

But anything with wires and electrics I’m scratching my head from the off. ?

#7 ·
Any chance you're colorblind? You keep saying no "green dash light", the only green light on the dash is the neutral light. That's why I mentioned it. Blue is high-beam, amber/yellow is turn signal, and red is oil light.

I mentioned a bad ground because that can wreak havoc with neutral and if the neutral light isn't working right it can think its in gear and not start.

#8 ·
Problem fixed!

Started to take the cover off to get to the fuse box and all indicators working fine. Had a look inside and all seems well.

Replaced and gave the cover a good wiggle, push, pull etc, turned the bars left right, checked everything else was working so problem fixed but still scratching my head a bit.

I did have the fuse cover off before to check fuses when it wouldn’t start and I reckon that was down to a corroded kill switch.

The previous owner looked after the bike mechanically but I think it was left outside a fair bit.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Chris.

#20 ·
Well I’m all about the carbon footprint!

Maybe it’s a USA/UK thing?

As far as I know and from what I remember when I visited you guys in the States your indicators are red?

Ours are bright orange so maybe there is a difference in our bikes dash cluster bulbs/lenses?

Either way, I’d much rather have your gun rights and especially weather than ours?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.