Indicator problems. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-11-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-08-2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Indicator problems.

So I bought these to just freshen up the Blade,



https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254256815143


Removed the original amber lenses and clear bulbs and then fitted the new clear lenses and amber bulbs. Tested them and all good.

Took the bike out and about 5 mins later no indicators, nothing. Not even the green dash indicator lights.

All indicators flash and work perfectly when I arm and disarm the datatool alarm but I get nothing at all when trying to actually indicate.

When you flick the indicator button you can hear what I’m presuming is the relay going at about twice the speed, as if a bulb is out but no indicators or green dash lights like I said.

I refitted the originals and checked all the bulbs and everything looks fine. But still no working indicators.

Has anyone any idea what this might be?
BALDYMONSTER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 11-11-2019, 11:55 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Indicator problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDYMONSTER View Post
So I bought these to just freshen up the Blade,



https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254256815143


Removed the original amber lenses and clear bulbs and then fitted the new clear lenses and amber bulbs. Tested them and all good.

Took the bike out and about 5 mins later no indicators, nothing. Not even the green dash indicator lights.

All indicators flash and work perfectly when I arm and disarm the datatool alarm but I get nothing at all when trying to actually indicate.

When you flick the indicator button you can hear what I’m presuming is the relay going at about twice the speed, as if a bulb is out but no indicators or green dash lights like I said.

I refitted the originals and checked all the bulbs and everything looks fine. But still no working indicators.

Has anyone any idea what this might be?
Have you checked the fuses? No neutral light sounds like a loose ground/earth What else did you change?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 3:53 AM
Supporting Member
 
Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-22-2015
Location: Oxford, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24
                     
Garage
Re: Indicator problems.

The alarm will flash the lights as it has its own power supply and is connected directly to all four indicators, I agree with Ian it’s either a blown fuse or poor earth.
Gunk is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 8:09 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-08-2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
I have the neutral light.
BALDYMONSTER is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 9:23 AM
 
Join Date: 03-21-2005
Location: Wiltshire, uk
Age: 53
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20
         
Garage
Re: Indicator problems.

I think the fuse would knock out other circuits too, there isn't just a fuse for the indicators.

two thoughts - one if the flasher relay. You could try to bypass and see it the indicators light up (they won't plash without it but you can check power/wiring is ok) or it might be dirty contacts in the left hand handlebar switch gear? I had, for a while, only RH indicators because of this and no left turn (had to go 4 times round the block before going home to avoid left turns!! :LOL: not really!!). Unlikely both ways to go at the same time so more likely something else.

I stripped the switch down, cleaned the contacts, reassembled and been a-ok since. If you do this do take care as iirc there is a spring and small ball bearing in there when you strip the switch down.
machinehead is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-08-2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
I did think it was the switch, reason being I had starting issues, sort of, I had to really press the starter button at time’s to fire it up. Sprayed with WD40 and all good. Kill switch was the same so my first thought was the switchgear.

I’ve given the switch a good spray with WD40 but still no luck.

It does try at times as you sometimes get a brief green indicator light on the dash.

I’m clueless about electrics so taking things off and bypassing things etc is not something I can do tbh.

Spannering and general servicing and mods, especially cars I’m not bad.

But anything with wires and electrics I’m scratching my head from the off. 😞
BALDYMONSTER is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 12:24 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Indicator problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDYMONSTER View Post
I did think it was the switch, reason being I had starting issues, sort of, I had to really press the starter button at time’s to fire it up. Sprayed with WD40 and all good. Kill switch was the same so my first thought was the switchgear.

I’ve given the switch a good spray with WD40 but still no luck.

It does try at times as you sometimes get a brief green indicator light on the dash.

I’m clueless about electrics so taking things off and bypassing things etc is not something I can do tbh.

Spannering and general servicing and mods, especially cars I’m not bad.

But anything with wires and electrics I’m scratching my head from the off. 😞
Any chance you're colorblind? You keep saying no "green dash light", the only green light on the dash is the neutral light. That's why I mentioned it. Blue is high-beam, amber/yellow is turn signal, and red is oil light.

I mentioned a bad ground because that can wreak havoc with neutral and if the neutral light isn't working right it can think its in gear and not start.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-08-2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Problem fixed!

Started to take the cover off to get to the fuse box and all indicators working fine. Had a look inside and all seems well.

Replaced and gave the cover a good wiggle, push, pull etc, turned the bars left right, checked everything else was working so problem fixed but still scratching my head a bit.

I did have the fuse cover off before to check fuses when it wouldn’t start and I reckon that was down to a corroded kill switch.

The previous owner looked after the bike mechanically but I think it was left outside a fair bit.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Chris.
IanDoohan and nigelrb like this.
BALDYMONSTER is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-08-2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
I am slightly green/yellow colour blind. Very slightly rhat is.

The indicator lights on the clocks I’m sure look green to me. What colour are they?
BALDYMONSTER is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 12:33 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Indicator problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDYMONSTER View Post
Problem fixed!

Started to take the cover off to get to the fuse box and all indicators working fine. Had a look inside and all seems well.

Replaced and gave the cover a good wiggle, push, pull etc, turned the bars left right, checked everything else was working so problem fixed but still scratching my head a bit.

I did have the fuse cover off before to check fuses when it wouldn’t start and I reckon that was down to a corroded kill switch.

The previous owner looked after the bike mechanically but I think it was left outside a fair bit.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Chris.
Those are the best fixes, but I know how aggravating it can be to not actually find the problem.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 12:34 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Indicator problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDYMONSTER View Post
I am slightly green/yellow colour blind. Very slightly rhat is.

The indicator lights on the clocks I’m sure look green to me. What colour are they?
Blue is high-beam, amber/yellow is turn signal, and red is oil light. Green is Neutral light.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-08-2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
I must be green/amber/yellow colour blind then.

They surely look green to me!

Everything else is as stated though.
BALDYMONSTER is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 12:46 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Indicator problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDYMONSTER View Post
I must be green/amber/yellow colour blind then.

They surely look green to me!

Everything else is as stated though.
Can you post a pic of the dash turned on? Maybe the previous owner changed them
nigelrb likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 1:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-08-2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
I’ll do that tomorrow mate.

It’s 17:20 here and about 3 degrees and basically night time as I live in Scotland. 🙂
IanDoohan likes this.
BALDYMONSTER is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 1:36 PM
Supporting Member
 
nigelrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-2019
Location: Worcester, England
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7
           
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: Indicator problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDYMONSTER View Post
I’ll do that tomorrow mate.

It’s 17:20 here and about 3 degrees and basically night time as I live in Scotland. 🙂
Never a problem for me
Attached Thumbnails
Faux garage.jpg‎  
IanDoohan and Gunk like this.
nigelrb is online now  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome