Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Open motor

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Eileen 
#1 ·
So, hubbies bike is back from the shop. We have another blade that had motor noise, another bike shop said it was conrod. We decided to open up the motor.

Damn was it fun.

Need to do conrods and all bearings. Luckily when we heard the noise we didnt ride it again.

Did i say i had a good time ? it is now 00:00 here, sleep sounds good to me right now.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I assume you're referring to the upper bearing in pic that looks a bit scorched?

They don't actually look 'worn', but this is hard to determine by photo only - even when enlarged.

Most of us would not know if our bikes have been abused or not, UNLESS we have full ownership history. As most of these bikes have had 4 or 5 owners, we would never know, but should assume that somewhere along the line some boy wonder has given it a hiding.:frown

#9 ·
hi guys

what motor is it, and what were the noises? Mines always been noisy esp 4-5,000rpm on throttle and worried about bearings or piston slap but its been like it for over 20,000 miles so figured if it was going to go pop it would have by now, so I was curious what made you pull the motor apart....

#10 ·
It is a 954.it had a tapping sound and it sounded like shims. We bought it with hubbies other 954.it turned out to be a project, did fairings, chromed shocks, new battery etc and when we took it for a drive the knock become more and then died. Pulled it in, started the next day and sound was very load. Took to a bike shop, they reckoned it is the crank and conrods, we decided to strip ourselves especially after seeing how simple it is actually when we saw how hubbies was stripped for gearbox.

#16 ·
If you want to treasure and keep the bike, I wouldn't consider second hand bearings. Surely the closest mainland supplier, Euro or Australia wouldn't be 4 times the price? I guess postage is a factor though.

Anyway, I have used Nut Job in Ireland for many parts. They are cheaper than England for most parts, even with postage. I have linked to the appropriate page for your convenience:wink

https://nutjob.ie/honda-genuine-par...kshaft - Piston&page=1&limit=20&sort=featured

#20 ·
Im back. We eventually traded this bike in for repairs to our other 954 that ran bearings. Looooong story short we sent it to a shop in 1 piece, got it back in 100s of pieces. So we are going to have to rebuild. At least the motor was done and is still in tact. Starter gone, yoshi pipe gone, filters, about 23k south african rand damage. We have the yellow and black one but thinking of making it black and green, seeing that we need to take everything apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.