CBR929 Non Start - suspect ECU - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Duncan893
  • 2 Post By machinehead

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-16-2019, 6:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR929 Non Start - suspect ECU

Hi all

I have a 2001 CBR929rr which I purchased in spring this year, nice example with full history etc. I used it every week or so through summer with no issue.

Ride the bike 100 miles or so in October day trip, parked it up in the garage, but 3 days later and it refused to start.

Engine turns over no issue, I can hear the fuel pump prime, I can smell fuel faintly from the exhaust if I try to keep it on the starter for a long time. There is no attempt to actually ‘fire’

No fault codes, hiss light greens and acknowledges the key etc, so I’m stuck for ideas!

Seems the ecu can be a fault on these? Does it sound likely? Any contact details for a company that can check and repair the ecu?

Thanks
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-16-2019, 7:32 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: CBR929 Non Start - suspect ECU

Always look to the obvious first. Kill switch on the right bar!
post #3 of 4 Old 11-16-2019, 7:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
Always look to the obvious first. Kill switch on the right bar!
I know that this is an FIE bike, so I shouldn't really comment, but, I don't think that the fuel pump will prime and the engine turn over with the kill switch off?
IanDoohan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-16-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Garage

^^ No, kill switch off = no cracking.

if the fuel pump running when you crank it? It should run for a few seconds when you switch the bike on, then stop, but will run as the bike cranks over. if so then the pick up coil on the crank shaft is ok, if not that you have another problem!

the next question is do you have a spark, and are the injectors firing. You said you can smell fuel form the exhaust so probably the injectors are firing - which is good too. The likely suspect now is no spark. If the injectors fire then so should the spark plugs, and the pickup coil on the front left of the motor is probably ok too, which is also good.

People might now jump to the conclusion that the ECU is duff but from my experience with my own 929 not starting, or randomly not starting this may well be a false assumption!

With these bikes each ignition coil, and each injector, is supplied with 12v when the ignition is on, and the ECU earths each one in turn to activate the spark or fuel injector.

In the wiring loom on the right hand side is an orange coloured connector block hidden inside the loom. There corrode over time, probably more so for bikes that get left outdoors for long periods (which mine did for years as I had no garage where i lived for around 5-years!

The pictures attached are of the offending joiner connector. The greens are all earths, the black with white trace are the 12v feeds to the injectors, coils, and other things that need 12v. I pulled the brass contact strips out, cleaned and reinserted them. I also tried to clean each one in the orange block too. In the end these attempts did not work and I still had occasional, if rare, non-starts. In the end i cut all the greens, soldered them together, insulated it all, then did the same with the black/whites, and wrapped it all up inside the loom again and has been perfect ever since.

So, in summary, if you have no spark, and no 12v on the coils with the ignition and kill switch turned on then this is a likely place to start!

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3595.JPG‎   IMG_3596.JPG‎   IMG_3597.JPG‎  
IanDoohan and Duncan893 like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page