Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

'92-93 Screen Fixings, Pins or Bolts

629 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  IanDoohan 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, I am replacing the screen on my RR-P and I have a couple of questions ....... just to confirm, my bike currently has (had :wink) an OE screen with the OE 4mm pin fixings, see first picture.

Removal: I started trying to drill the pin shank out, but they just spin. So, I got the Dremel out and ground the pin back to the washer, at which point they dropped off (see second picture). However, in the mean time, I was having to drip water on the pins to cool them down so they wouldn't melt the fairing plastic. So my first question is: Is there a simple way of removing these pins?

Replacement: I bought some replacement OE pins/washers, but given the palaver of removal (unless it's simple and I was just being all mediaeval with the Dremel :devil), I'm thinking about using bolts/washers/rubber encapsulated retaining nut thingys (that is the technical name, anyway). Most websites are pushing me in the direction of 5mm bolts, which doesn't seem correct. However, I have found that some Italian bikes (beginning with D ending in I) use 4mm screen bolts. So my second question is: If anyone else has done this before, what fixing method have you used, please?

Attachments

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
I've ordered Black anodised aluminium 4mm dome head allen bolts, plastic washers with rubber well nuts. These 4mm versions being "for Italian bikes".

I will have to open out the 4x holes in the new screen for the rubber well-nuts, but hopefully, not by too much.

UpDate: I have decided not to use these fixings. The bolt head is smaller than the OE pin (!!!), which seems a bit small and does not cover up the fretting scratches on the fairing from the original pin heads. And, since I have to drill out the screen, I'm going for 5mm fixings (which, with a little coaxing on 2 of the fairing holes, are accepted by the fairing).

#10 ·
I've ordered Black anodised aluminium 4mm dome head allen bolts, plastic washers with rubber well nuts. These 4mm versions being "for Italian bikes".

I will have to open out the 4x holes in the new screen for the rubber well-nuts, but hopefully, not by too much.
You could just put the well nuts pressed up against the back of the screen, rather than dropping them in from the top. That way you can keep the originality of the screen. As long as the bolts are long enough. I think I've done that on my track bike with an aftermarket screen.

Auto part Tire Automotive exterior Automotive tire Fender

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.