Cornering Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-05-2003, 1:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Cornering Question

Recently read Keith Code's book Twist of the Wrist II, which was very informative. He talked quite a bit about using a 'wide screen view' with your vision rather than focusing on individual objects. Makes a lot of sense and works great - I'm sure particularly so while on the track, which you expect to be free of sand, oil, debris, etc.

But what about on the street while doing some aggressive cornering - how can one use a wide screen view while somewhat paranoid about the above mentioned road hazards? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-05-2003, 1:21 AM

It is a good book isn't it. From my understanding you should already have scanned that section of road for debris before you get there. So how do you get there? You gotta be fast. Always continue scanning, including the road for debris, as far ahead as possible. Since you scanned the road itself already you are free to scan for side streets and cars pulling out etc. then go back to the road itself. Hope that helps.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2003, 7:52 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
bwhip : Recently read Keith Code's book Twist of the Wrist II, which was very informative. He talked quite a bit about using a 'wide screen view' with your vision rather than focusing on individual objects. Makes a lot of sense and works great - I'm sure particularly so while on the track, which you expect to be free of sand, oil, debris, etc.

But what about on the street while doing some aggressive cornering - how can one use a wide screen view while somewhat paranoid about the above mentioned road hazards? Any suggestions?
Don't go that fast on the street it is not worth it. Did I just say that? Go do a track day. Race tracks do have debris & holes on them you just have to stay out of it. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$. I think scanning it the best way to go, and not get target fixation. I could be wrong.

Don't drive a hearse in the carpool lane.
F.D. 2844
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2003, 8:21 AM

All the MSF courses teach to scan ahead. I have been using it for three years now. It works great on the street. You scan ahead and look for debris and crap in the road about 10-15 seconds before you get there. Enough time to adjust. If you use it while riding you will use it while driving the cage also. There is plenty of time to scan for animals on the side of the road. Only problem I have found is that I focus on scanning ahead so much that I miss the beautiful scenery around me. I have been working on scanning and sight seeing.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2003, 8:26 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Concerning scanning and fixation.....almost every ride, I do a drill with myself to get my mind in the right groove. As I am heading out, I purposely scan for a few objects in the road and imagine they are something to be avoided....sometimes its just a tar snake or a piece of gravel. Once I see them, I then practice visualizing where I need to go and then looking at that spot long enough that the bike goes there....and then returning to the scanning process. It happens in fractions of a second....and you get quicker and more fluid as you practice it...

Its a fun drill....kind of like moto-tetris.......and it really helps me do the right thing later in the ride when I need to avoid something.....just keeps those skills sharp. You will be suprised at how calm your mind will remain with unexpected debris later in the ride.....

**I am almost sure now that after talking about this I will hit a 12 inch cinder block in the middle of the road....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2003, 10:01 AM

Reputation Power: 20

For the most part, if I will be riding agressively on the street (d'oh, don't want to admit that I do but look at it this way, my 'agressively' is probably not as fast as the 'agressively' that .Orgers think), I usually do at least one pass to not only warm up the tire edges but to also scan the road for debris and pot holes. The roads are all straight around here so most agressive riding is done on the on/off ramps which are easy to scan once or twice before running them again.

However, that isn't always possible. In those cases, I don't go 'balls to the wall' because I don't know what's around the next corner.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page