Seeking 929 Clutch Recall Info - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-05-2003, 3:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Re: Seeking 929 Clutch Recall Info

I have done some keyword searches and checked knowledge base but can't find much.

I have to re-do mine for third time. Shop did it first two times and clutch has never been right since. It exhibits the usual symptoms: not fully disengaging, even with lever pulled all the way to grip and almost zero play in cable.

I found some old threads on motorush.com where abtech stated some honda recall instructions may not be clear and that additional documentation was issued to clarify. The recall notice I have is titled and dated CBR929#2, December 00. I do not know if this is the latest one. The #2 may mean that it is?

The primary issue seems to be the correct orientation of the judder spring. Basically, I will disassemble mine check that everything is in order and probably just flip judder spring around to see if this fixes things. If not, I may jettison it as others have done. (It worked better before when it did not have one.)

If anyone has any info on this still, please let me know what it is and where I can find it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-05-2003, 6:46 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I had the same problem and found that the judder spring DIDN'T cause the problem. When you look at it you will see why it cannot cause the problem. I tried it both ways and it made no difference.

The idiot that did mine put in a bent friction plate hence making the stack bigger.I pulled it apart 3 times before I figured it out.

Pull it out and put all the the plates one by one then put them on a flat surface and it will be easy to see if one is warped or bent. Make sure the friction plate with the biggest inner diameter is at the back(closest to the engine)!
post #3 of 14 Old 06-05-2003, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Go here and fill in the fields (type, model, year, etc.) and you'll get the official info. on the recalls for the 929 along with a description and corrective action:

NHTSA

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-06-2003, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I will check each plate on a thick sheet of glass. I will also check nhtsa site.

I have heard all sorts of different tips like when installing clutch steel plates make sure they are all installed with the 'sharp edges of their tabs facing out' (direction of die cut). I dunno, but I am game to try anything at this point!
post #5 of 14 Old 06-15-2003, 1:40 AM Thread Starter

Aussie,

You were right.

I took clutch apart this weekend and found two of the parts installed during clutch recall to be defective: the judder spring seat was bent and so was the new clutch friction plate with larger ID to accomodate judder spring and its seat. They were warped such that when you placed them on a flat surface and pushed down on one end the other side was 3mm off the surface! It was so obvious, you could see it with your naked eye. It is pretty unbelievable shop didn't notice this first time or second time. I replaced parts and clutch works flawlessly now. I can't believe I went a whole year with a crap recall clutch job, probably abusing my transmission the whole time. I showed the parts to svce mgr at shop that performed service initially and he was pretty surprised at condition of parts and that they didn't notice this.

Bottom Line: 1. I still have to do my own work if I want it done right 2. I am really disappointed in Honda's response to this whole issue which was they couldn't do anything. What if i didn't know how to work on bikes? Where would I be? 3. Next time I get a recall notice, I will almost certainly disregard it unless I can get parts to do job myself. 4. I am in no big rush to buy another Honda.

The worst part is the cost besides parts: One vacation day and one track day spent at dealer while they did job a second time, not fixing it. Today doing job myself and driving around picking up one part at one dealer and another part at another, who knows how much abuse my transmission took with crap clutch last season. I was hitting a lot of false neutrals at track.

eh, life goes on... but with a properly functioning clutch!
post #6 of 14 Old 06-16-2003, 5:41 AM

any way to check if the clutch recall was done. My 9 shows a manufacture date of 01/01 and according to the nhsta sit the recall was sent out dec 8 00
Thanks faster
post #7 of 14 Old 06-17-2003, 4:27 AM

anyone?
post #8 of 14 Old 06-17-2003, 6:07 AM

Quote:
faster : anyone?
Per the website provided by RedRider:

Recalls Summary

Make: *HONDA *
Model: *CBR929RR *
Year: *2001 *
Recall Number: *00V403000 *
Summary: *
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORCYCLES. WHEN THE CLUTCH LEVER IS RELEASED TO THE FRICTION POINT, BUT THE LEVER IS NOT COMPLETELY RELEASED TO FULLY ENGAGE THE CLUTCH, STRONG CLUTCH DISK VIBRATION MAY OCCUR AT THE HIGHER ENGINE RPMS USED FOR RAPID OR RACE-TYPE STARTS. THIS STRESS CAN CAUSE THE CLUTCH TO FAIL. *
Consequence: *
THIS FAILURE RESULTS IN SEVERAL LARGE SECTIONS CRACKING AND EVENTUALLY SEPARATING FROM THE CLUTCH OUTER. IF THIS OCCURS, REAR LOCK-UP IS POSSIBLE IF A BROKEN PIECE IS CAUGHT IN THE PRIMARY DRIVE GEAR. ALSO, THE ENGINE COULD LOSE PRIMARY IGNITION AND STOP SUDDENLY IF A BROKEN PIECE DAMAGES THE PULSAR ROTOR; OR ENGINE OIL COULD LEAK FROM THE CRANKCASE, IF A BROKEN PIECE IS FORCED THROUGH THE CRANKCASE. THE SPILLED OIL COULD CAUSE THE REAR WHEEL TO LOSE TRACTION AND THE MOTORCYCLE COULD CRASH. *
Remedy: *
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A CLUTCH KIT THAT INCLUDES A REDESIGNED OUTER CLUTCH BASKET, JUDDER SPRING, CLUTCH LIFTER LEVER, AND OTHER PARTS INTENDED TO REDUCE STRESS ON THE CLUTCH. *
Notes: *
OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-310-783-3772. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236). *

*edit* *More pertinent info can be found here: Clutch replacement effectivity and Fuel Hose effectivity

If you need it, look at the central engine mount/pivot (right side) and see if there is an impression (dot) on either side of the compression split (gap drawn together by a bolt to hold the pivot pin in). *One 'dot' is for the extension of the fuel line and the other is for the clutch recall.

CONQ- *Please bring the Recalls over from the old site and into the new KB.

post #9 of 14 Old 06-17-2003, 9:57 AM

Quote:
rydman : Aussie,

You were right.

I took clutch apart this weekend and found two of the parts installed during clutch recall to be defective: the judder spring seat was bent and so was the new clutch friction plate with larger ID to accomodate judder spring and its seat. They were warped such that when you placed them on a flat surface and pushed down on one end the other side was 3mm off the surface! It was so obvious, you could see it with your naked eye. It is pretty unbelievable shop didn't notice this first time or second time. I replaced parts and clutch works flawlessly now. I can't believe I went a whole year with a crap recall clutch job, probably abusing my transmission the whole time. I showed the parts to svce mgr at shop that performed service initially and he was pretty surprised at condition of parts and that they didn't notice this.

Bottom Line: 1. I still have to do my own work if I want it done right 2. I am really disappointed in Honda's response to this whole issue which was they couldn't do anything. What if i didn't know how to work on bikes? Where would I be? 3. Next time I get a recall notice, I will almost certainly disregard it unless I can get parts to do job myself. 4. I am in no big rush to buy another Honda.

The worst part is the cost besides parts: One vacation day and one track day spent at dealer while they did job a second time, not fixing it. Today doing job myself and driving around picking up one part at one dealer and another part at another, who knows how much abuse my transmission took with crap clutch last season. I was hitting a lot of false neutrals at track.

eh, life goes on... but with a properly functioning clutch!
I have seen several of these recall jobs performed without regard to the placement of the friction plate with the larger ID. Several shops were just putting it on the outside (away from the engine) end of the stack. Since this caused the judder spring and seat to contact the first plate in the stack (rather than sitting inside of the larger hole), the stack effectively had an extra plate causing it to never properly disengage (always loaded).

The documentation that came with the original recall (a couple of pages to be inserted into the manual) didn't show the detail and unless you read through the entire text about 5 times, it wasn't clear that the larger ID plate actually fits OVER the judder spring and seat. The text is very contradictory and the plate looks almost exactly like the others (except for a colored mark and the larger ID) and required some side to side comparison or precise measurement to tell the difference.

It seems the best clue that the stack isn't arranged correctly, is if there is a lot of resistance when replacing the side cover. Although it can be properly sealed and tightened with the incorrect stack, there is no effort required to hold the cover flush with the engine case when properly arranged.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-18-2003, 12:33 AM

Quote:
faster : any way to *check if the clutch recall was done. My 9 shows a manufacture date of 01/01 and according to the nhsta sit the recall was sent out dec 8 00
* * * * * * * Thanks faster
Faster... Go to any Honda shop (service dept.) and ask them to put your vin number in their computer it will show if the recall was performed.

I look forward to corners like a dog waits for dinner…
post #11 of 14 Old 06-18-2003, 1:28 AM

Thanks guys. I talk to my buddy at thr Honda dealership and he said that they were only doing the recall if customer request it (wtf). But now after listning to everyone who has had it done seems that there is a good chance they will screw it up worse. I have no play in my clutch at all even if I tighten it up no change. Sometimes when im riding I get the good ol false nuetral And I get it alot when i'm on it real hard and I need to figure out what to do before trackday next month.
Thanks Guys
Faster
post #12 of 14 Old 06-18-2003, 1:29 AM Thread Starter

Abtech,

In my case, all parts were in correct order and orientation per Honda recall documentation (Service Bulletin: CBR929RR #2, December 2000). I read recall document and didn't have too much trouble with it. I admit it could have been written better but, basically, if you read it carefully, all needed info is there. In my case, I just had warped, bent crap recall parts. How they got that way is anyones guess: guy installing them bunged them up, they got bent because someone dropped box with recall parts...who knows.

Man, it sure is nice to have my clutch back!
post #13 of 14 Old 06-18-2003, 5:54 AM

Quote:
faster : Thanks guys. I talk to my buddy at thr Honda dealership and he said that they were only doing the recall if customer request it (wtf). But now after listning to everyone who has had it done seems that there is a good chance they will screw it up worse. I have no play in my clutch at all even if I tighten it up no change. Sometimes when im riding I get the good ol false nuetral And I get it alot when i'm on it real hard and I need to figure out what to do before trackday next month.
* * * * * * * * * *Thanks Guys
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Faster
Get a VFR shifter (reverse shifter) and you will note the disappearance of your 'false neutrals'.

never2old -
There were many dealerships that entered the bike into the computer (some installed the 'punch marks' and some didnt), but never performed the recall. Personally, I wouldnt trust something simply being in the computer (too easy to 'fudge&#39. On the other hand - unless you drag race (high RPM takeoff's), you should not have a problem with the non-recalled clutch.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-18-2003, 8:20 AM

Rydman: That was the 'second edition' of the recall details. The first one was 'recalled' due to the problems I mentioned . . .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page