Pirelli Supercorsa's, Your Opinion? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-06-2003, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Pirelli Supercorsa's, Your Opinion?

Has anyone had any experience with the Pirelli Supercorsa tires, specifically the soft front and the medium rear? *I just bought a set for track days and wanted to know what you guys thought.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-06-2003, 4:11 AM

Well I tried rennesports which is the same trye except a different tread pattern.

Personally I didnt like them especially the front. While full cranked over it moved around a fair bit and I didnt feel in control.

The front was a soft and the rear is a medium.

I liked the Dunlop 208GP's a lot after I got used to them. They also made a great road tyre.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-06-2003, 3:02 PM

Reputation Power: 19

I love them and have been running this combination for two years (Supercorsa or Rennsport. They stick like glue and they even make up for firm stock suspension because they are pretty soft walled and belted in my opinion. This may contribute to what aussie stated. I may not ride hard enough to notice any sqirming of front end. What I do notice is parts of the track that are bumpy and rippled in turns, I don't even notice any more with these tires. They were the race spec tire around here for certain racing classes so many I know run them, like them, and go pretty darn fast with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-06-2003, 3:42 PM

Quote:
aussie_929 : Well I tried rennesports which is the same trye except a different tread pattern.

Personally I didnt like them especially the front. While full cranked over it moved around a fair bit and I didnt feel in control.

The front was a soft and the rear is a medium.

I liked the Dunlop 208GP's a lot after I got used to them. They also made a great road tyre.
Interesting: ran the RS1/2 combo for a long time, then the D208GP-As, all in all I prefer the Rennsports for handling/stick--I never had the issues that were described with the front tires.

Having said all that--I currently use the dunlops cuz they last longer, one of our tracks, ThunderHill tears the #### out of just about every tire except the GP--the D208GP-As are more flighty thatn the RS1/2--they are also noticably heavier--takes more work to turn-in.

The persmellis SCs are identical to the Rennsports except tread pattern---I think you will be very happy
post #5 of 12 Old 06-06-2003, 7:01 PM Thread Starter

We plan to head to Barber in mid July. The middle of summer in Alabama should make for a pretty hot track. I thought the SC2/SC3 combo might not wear quite as bad as the SC1/SC2.

I know a lot depends on temp and riding style, but how many trackdays are you getting per set? Is all the riding on the track or do you still put some street miles on them? We just started doing trackdays this year and are still trying to learn all the little secrets. Still plan on doing a fair amount of street riding in between trackdays.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-06-2003, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Pater : We plan to head to Barber in mid July. *The middle of summer in Alabama should make for a pretty hot track. *I thought the SC2/SC3 combo might not wear quite as bad as the SC1/SC2.

I know a lot depends on temp and riding style, but how many trackdays are you getting per set? *Is all the riding on the track or do you still put some street miles on them? *We just started doing trackdays this year and are still trying to learn all the little secrets. *Still plan on doing a fair amount of street riding in between trackdays.
I usually get two trackdays out of the rear, if i am lucky, then about 1K mi. Interesting Note: the SC1/2s actually work better the hotter they are--unless people are cold-tearing the SC2 rear--I would stick with the SC1/2--I didnt like the SC2 front and even a SC1 front lasts about 4 days
post #7 of 12 Old 06-06-2003, 8:38 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I've already got the SC2/SC3 combo. I guess I can always buy more tires, but I'd like to give these a shot. Any idea what I can expect?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-06-2003, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Pater : Unfortunately, I've already got the SC2/SC3 combo. *I guess I can always buy more tires, but I'd like to give these a shot. *Any idea what I can expect?
SC2/3 is fine---it all depends on how hard you push them on the track--if you are just starting out, youll get a 3-4 trackdays + road miles from them--if you are hauling ass(racing speeds) maybe 2 trackdays from the rear 4 from the front---what happens on the track is you run the sides ragged and the center is almost new---thus the added street miles

Either way it sound like you are gonna have some fun
post #9 of 12 Old 06-07-2003, 12:06 AM

Wow, Trackho must be PDQ! Um, my sc1/2 combination have lasted about 7 track days. I should and will replace them soon. They are pretty worn on the sides. I don not know how many heat cycles is ok for these tires. I was thinking 10 80-100 mile track days at my pace... I do not ride on the street with them at all. I did one test run for tuning purposes on street and hit a few clover leaf off ramps and I think I experienced the 'cold tear' thing mentioned previously. The cement is pretty abrasive on some of these cloverleafs. I was amazed at the effect on my tire. This was only about a 10 mile loop and it looked like little chunks were torn off of the right side of it. No way did the tires get anywhere near as warm as they do at the track.

I now have a separate set of wheels with street/sport compound tires (OEM Pilot Sports) for street riding.

If you use them on the road, I hear they are not good in the rain (no tread at all on the sides may be a part of this&#33 and I would be concerned you may not get enough heat into them to really make them stick in the dry rolling around town. If yoou are riding canyons maybe. So, be careful.

And now for the discalimer: I ride track days. I am not the fastest nor the slowest guy out there. I get a knee down here and there and but that's it.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-07-2003, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I've heard the same thing about using the supercorsa's in the rain. I'm anxious to get them on and see how they handle. I may have to try a set of the Diablo Corsa's for my next set. Something I can still do plenty of trackdays on but have more of a comfort level on the street.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-07-2003, 1:21 AM

Holy F uck!

7 trackdays? You're nuts!

I ran street pressures practically on a set of sportecs and got 3.5 days out of them and I thought that was awesome! There was NO tread on the side and they were shot...

I can't imagine 7..........
post #12 of 12 Old 06-07-2003, 5:27 PM

I just to track days and don't race, which makes life a bit easier on my tires.

I would strongly suggest not running street pressure in race tire. Your contact patch willbe smaller and tire does not deform enough to generate heat you need for optimum traction with reace compound. I run 30psi front and 29psi rear when at the track. This is recommended pressure from the tire truck folks at the track and it seems to be what everyone else is running +/- a few psi. I thought this was a bit low but they sure stick.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page