PAIR Valve - why not just pull the 2 wire - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: PAIR Valve - why not just pull the 2 wire

Reading the service manual a little last night, I was wondering why you can't just pull the 2 pin connector going to the PAIR valve instead of using block off plates, silicone, make-shift filters, dealing with the hoses, etc.

The ECU sends a 12V signal to operate the reed type valve which allows the crankcase air to be re-entered into the fresh air inlets. One of the service checks on the PAIR Valve was to disconnect the electrical connector and verify no air passes from passage A to passage B. Air flow should only happen when 12V signal is present at valve.

So, can't you leave everything in and disable the valve (keeping it closed) by simply pulling the connector off?

I'm almost certain this is probably too good to be true, just wondering. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 10:16 AM
TCD

that sounds like a pretty good idea and i think that it would work. it can get a bit messy with blocking everything off.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks TCD, I'm also considering to get the bike custom mapped, and would like to disable the PAIR valve rather than having them just pinch the heck out of the hoses.

BTW, did you read the short article on front tire tread patterns in SportRider? *Although they were referring to a different brand, I think it related to our M1's. *Basically the engineers found that by reversing the pattern, the front tires performed better (front tire obviously stressed more through braking than rear tire's traction through power). *So they kept the rear patterns the same (better traction performance) and reversed the front pattern for better overall performance due to braking issues with the tire's compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 1:07 PM

IF it would work, I think a resistor would be needed at the connector to send the FI system an all is good signal...not sure.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 1:33 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I'm not sure either, but I would have thought more of a relay type 12V and common signal than a digital type signal (basically activating and deactivating the reed type valve). In fact, now that I type this, when the other method is used to gut the valve and everything, I'm assuming that same 2 pin connector is just hanging (not connected/no resistors). I'll have to do more reading, not sure where the PAIR valve solenoid comes into play, or if it's one in the same with the valve.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Oh man, looks like this thread is going to archive land. All of you who gutted your airbox and pitched out your PAIR valve and purchased blocking plates and purchased rubber caps and silicone this and that...nothing? Surely someone knows whether this would work or fail - no? Well, I call some DynoJet mapping shops and see if they know about Honda's PAIR valve system and why just pulling the connector to the valve would not be sufficent to keeping valve closed and no crankcase air allowed to be passed through.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 10:40 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Don't get impatient
Give it a bit time for some more members to log back on.
I personally have not done it, but I think the only advantage to removing it is to save a little weight, sure it needs to be disconnected/blocked to get a custom map, but that is only to get true air/fuel ratio figures from the exhaust.
Don't think there is any power gains to be had by getting it out of the system.

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #8 of 10 Old 06-07-2003, 12:01 AM

Allright here it is, I did the pair valve mod. I followed the knowledgebase instructions for the most part. The fi light will not come on by disconnecting the valve. I blocked off the tube from the pair valve that leads to the airbox. I left the pcv hose connected, it will not affect performance and will actually help with gas mileage(though hardly noticable). I've got a devil 3/4 exhuast and a pcIII, during coast down i was getting a lot of popping from the exhaust. After i disabled the pair valve the popping was completely gone, and the acceleration seemed a lot smoother. If you have an exhaust system, the pair valve mod is totally worth it.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-07-2003, 12:35 AM
TCD

Quote:
figment : IF it would work, I think a resistor would be needed at the connector to send the FI system an all is good signal...not sure.
no need for the resistor. the pair is not connected to the diagonstic system so the bike will never know that it is gone.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-07-2003, 12:37 AM
TCD

Quote:
SuperDave : BTW, did you read the short article on front tire tread patterns in SportRider?
no, but that sounds like an interesting read. i don't get any mags sent to the house (nor do i buy them at the store ) is there a link out there?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page