Obvious Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-07-2003, 1:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Obvious Question

I was thinking about getting a damper for my 929.......I do no track riding at all, I do have the ocassional power wheelie, and ride at a pretty fast pace in the twisties.

I have heard many people say that I absolutely need a damper. I have also heard many say that if I am not running around the track at 130 then I don't need one most likley.

Just was wondering if I did get one what would be the best.......AND the cheapest..........key word here being cheapest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-07-2003, 2:13 AM

Have never done a track day either (although I will one day). That said, I love my Ohlins. *Basically I like a linear piston type damper over the Scotts (rotary) type. *Whatever brand you decide on, just get one! *Honda liter bikes seem to come with a certain amount of inherent head shake, and a steering damper is cheap insurance, even if it is a fairly big $ item.

Ohlins, Ohlins, Ohlins *

Edit: Check out Dan Kyle's website for best pricing - plus he is a sponsor for the .org.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-07-2003, 2:28 AM

Reputation Power: 18

KIDRR, if you're doing wheelies every once in awhile and perhaps even gettin' the speed up at least once with every ride (like I do- let the flamin' begin&#33, then I wouldn't be doing the above without one.

And by the way fellas, I don't support the idea of hittin' the Ben Franklin mark on our streets, but let's get real. If you're away from the general population with no witnesses around (i.e.- police, innocent people), then you'd do like me and just lose the discipline for 2 seconds

Yes KIDRR, get a damper. If anything it's one more sexy piece to outfit your bike with that has some people askin', 'Gee, what's that!?!'

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us;
they can't get away from us this time."
- Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-07-2003, 11:14 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Quote:
DevilDog : KIDRR, if you're doing wheelies every once in awhile and perhaps even gettin' the speed up at least once with every ride (like I do- let the flamin' begin&#33, then I wouldn't be doing the above without one. *

And by the way fellas, I don't support the idea of hittin' the Ben Franklin mark on our streets, but let's get real. *If you're away from the general population with no witnesses around (i.e.- police, innocent people), then you'd do like me and just lose the discipline for 2 seconds *

Yes KIDRR, get a damper. *If anything it's one more sexy piece to outfit your bike with that has some people askin', 'Gee, what's that!?!'

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #5 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 1:37 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

Get one ...its cheap insurance. That being said I am not one of the pro's that you requested replies from, so I'm sure you will see several different opinions. I was told several years ago that if your bike's suspension is properly set up then head-shake should not be a concern under road riding circumstances. Well...I am no suspension guru...I venture a guess that you are not either. Get a damper. Todays short wheelbase 130+ rwhp sportbikes are prone to lighten the front wheel rather easily. Get a damper. I went with a Scotts (rotary) from Dan Kyle...a Hyper Pro (linear) may be a less expensive alternative (not sure about price). Did I mention that IMHO a damper would be the way to go? *

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 1:53 AM

Reputation Power: 20

For me, I probably use the damper more on the street than I ever would on the track. With the crap roads we have around here, all chunked up by winter madness, pot holes and cracks can send the blade into a tizzy. (heh, he said 'tizzy').

When I looked a while ago, the cheapest and best bang for the buck was the Hyperpro. Scotts was in there too... Some people have had complaints about the build quality of the Hyperpro but mine has been A1 and I have no complaints. I don't even know it's there until my head starts shaking.

When you buy a dog, even if it's well behaved, you still need a leash. Keep that blade from running away with a damper.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #7 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 2:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guy's..........I take it the Hyperpro is the cheapest and is ok quality???

post #8 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 8:49 AM

i'd stay away from hyper pro i've heard too many stories.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 10:37 AM

I have a toby on my 00 929, it seems to work great and was cheaper than the hyperpro. not sure about how well it will work out in the long run, but it was only 279 if i remember correctly, maybe cheaper than that. i'm not a pro, but there's a response =)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page