tire wear question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 5:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: tire wear question

I went on a serious ride today, probably the hardest I've pushed my blade through the twisties since I got it a year ago. I just switched to a 180 sportec rear, and it seams quicker and more planted in the turns.

When I got home from the ride I noticed the sides of the tire, from near the center to about 1/8' from the edge is roughed up like a used eraser. It's rough like it was worked with sandpaper, but with no oily discoloration like track take-offs. This front tire has already been thru 2 rear tires, so I know it's time to get a new one. I'm just curious about this type of wear, if it's normal for pushing hard on the street, or if it's fried.

ps- I scraped my toe today even though I was up on the balls of my feet on the pegs; I'm pretty excited in a very squidly way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 11:44 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Sounds fried to me. Rule of thumb is usually 2 rears to one front. Especially with Sportecs. I have them and my rear is almost done from 2500 miles and 2 track days. Hopefully I can get one more track day out of them.

Watch the speed on the public roads. Sacramento area police are cracking down lately. My friends and I were ticketed recently for only 3 mph over the limit. Just making an example of us.

-Shrub

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 12:11 PM

whats your tire pressure?

Does it have raised and lowered areas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 9:28 PM Thread Starter

I'm running 31psi front and 30 rear, too low maybe? The wear is pretty even.

Shrub, I can't believe you and your friends got tickets for 3mph over. How could any cop take himself seriously after writing a ticket like that? Thanks for the warning though.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 9:36 PM

pressure looks okay to me, good track pressure and if you're really kicking the twisties, you want those pressures anyway...

Dunno...
post #6 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 4:55 AM Thread Starter

I think they're ok, they still feel good. Maybe it's just the first time I really pushed my blade. The rear tire has some of the same wear characteristics, and it's brand new.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 3:15 PM

Quote:
WetShrub : Sounds fried to me. *Rule of thumb is usually 2 rears to one front. *Especially with Sportecs. *I have them and my rear is almost done from 2500 miles and 2 track days. *Hopefully I can get one more track day out of them. *

Watch the speed on the public roads. *Sacramento area police are cracking down lately. *My friends and I were ticketed recently for only 3 mph over the limit. *Just making an example of us.

-Shrub
Naaaa---you didnt say how many miles are on it---the eraser wear is completely normal for that tire---go look at some race take--offs, they will look ALOT worse. The blueing is just oxidation-lots of people have lots of theories on this---but i have never had an ill effect running the tires w/bluing edges-it just doesnt mean anything on the Sportecs--on D208GP-As it typically isnt so good
post #8 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 6:19 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
WetShrub : Sounds fried to me. *Rule of thumb is usually 2 rears to one front. *Especially with Sportecs. *
I just got a new front Sportec, after I was on my
fifth rear tire.
I only average about 1600 miles out of a rear M1, & thats
NO burnouts.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-11-2003, 8:51 PM Thread Starter

I think my front tire has about 7000 mi on it, but most of those miles are winter time commute miles. Still plenty tread groove left. I ran my psi about 35 front, 34 rear in the winter, but dropped to 31-30 for the twisties in the summer. I love the feel, its alot more stable in the corners now, especially w/ the 180.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page