My clutch snapped! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 04-22-2004, 6:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

My clutch snapped!

I was leaving work a couple days ago and noticed my clutch felt funny. I shut it down and poked around a bit. I realized that the rod that moves the clutch plates snapped. I'm talking about the piece that the clutch cable connects to the top of, with most of the rod inside the crank case. I was able to pull it right out, the problem is that a jagged metal piece is inside my crank case, and was rolling around for a few seconds before I shut the bike off.

I got a new part, drained the engine oil, and removed all bolts connecting the crank case. I can't get the damned cover off. I've tried the hammer method already. I'm about to pry it off with a crowbar but I don't want to damage the edge. Any ideas?

I attached new and broken lever pics
Attached Thumbnails
929_clutch_auctuator_lever.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-22-2004, 7:24 PM

Re: My clutch snapped!

I believe others on the forum have experienced this. I'm sure someone will chime in with help .
post #3 of 42 Old 04-22-2004, 9:21 PM

I think there are a couple of dail pins on that cover. I think one is to the left of the fill cap and the other is on the far right end, between the upper and lower bolt. Try tapping around those and then use the tabs on the case pop the cover off. Becareful not to damage the cover or case (no crowbar). Goodluck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 04-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

I think there was possibly a recall on this part. I recall that the shaft was hollow and prone to failure like yours and they were replaced with a solid shaft. I could be mistaken though...

I'm sure someone here will tell you how to get the cover off.

Good luck

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #5 of 42 Old 04-22-2004, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

"On certain motorcycles, when the clutch lever is released to the friction point, but the lever is not completely released to fully engage the clutch, strong clutch disk vibration could occur at the higher engine rpms used for rapid or race-type starts. This stress can cause the clutch to fail. This failure results in several large sections cracking and eventually separating from the clutch. If this occurs, rear lock-up is possible if a broken piece is caught in the primary drive gear. The engine could lose primary ignition and stop suddenly if a broken piece damages the pulsar rotor. Also, engine oil can leak from the crankcase if a broken piece is forced through the crankcase. The spilled oil could cause the rear wheel to lose traction and the motorcycle could crash.

8,696 motorcycles are affected by this recall.

Dealers will install a clutch kit that includes a redesigned outer clutch basket, spring, clutch lifter lever, and other parts intended to reduce stress on the clutch."

Mine seemed to stop working while idling around a parking lot. I'm not sure if it's the same problem. I'll have to check for the markings to see if the recall work was done.
post #6 of 42 Old 04-24-2004, 7:43 AM Thread Starter

Still can't get the crankcase off. Does anyone know if the "pulse generator rotor" bolt needs to come out?
Attached Thumbnails
crankcaseopen.jpg‎  
post #7 of 42 Old 04-24-2004, 8:37 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian48130
Still can't get the crankcase off. Does anyone know if the "pulse generator rotor" bolt needs to come out?
This is from the 954 manual. Look for the word **HERE** Hope this helps.

Last edited by soon2b954; 05-25-2006 at 9:26 PM.
post #8 of 42 Old 04-24-2004, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

It sounds like it has to come off first, but it's hard to understand. I'll give it a shot.
post #9 of 42 Old 04-24-2004, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

With a lot of jiggling and some very gentle prying, I got the cover off. One of the pins was stuck. The distributor[?] (pulse generator rotor) didn't need to be removed.

Luckily the broken clutch shaft piece was still inside the case, and hadn't falled down into the oil pan. I can't get the crankcase back on with the new shaft installed, though. I probably need to spin the lever while putting the case on. Too frusterated now, going to do it later...

You're right Red Ryder, the original shaft was hollow and the replacement is solid. I only have one of the two recall 'dots', so maybe this was one of the recalled parts.
post #10 of 42 Old 04-24-2004, 7:52 PM

Reputation Power: 23

I had to do a similar repair on a mates 929.

His clutch just failed as you mentioned yours did.
The cover was tight to get off, but tapping it in svereal areas with a soft face hammer got it off with no damage.
You did not need to drop the oil, if the bike was left on the side stand, no oil would be lost.
Make sure you use sealer around the case cover when you put it back together.
If it's any consolation, the new shaft is actually a more solid item

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #11 of 42 Old 04-24-2004, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian48130
You're right Red Ryder, the original shaft was hollow and the replacement is solid. I only have one of the two recall 'dots', so maybe this was one of the recalled parts.
Better check to make sure the clutch recall was done then, that shaft was only one of a few parts replaced.
post #12 of 42 Old 04-24-2004, 8:21 PM

I thought only the clutch basket was replaced in the recall

post #13 of 42 Old 04-24-2004, 11:37 PM

From the Recall notice:

"Dealers will install a clutch kit that includes a redesigned outer clutch basket, spring, clutch lifter lever, and other parts intended to reduce stress on the clutch"
post #14 of 42 Old 04-25-2004, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirkbac
From the Recall notice:

"Dealers will install a clutch kit that includes a redesigned outer clutch basket, spring, clutch lifter lever, and other parts intended to reduce stress on the clutch"
thanks for the info

maybe he should get the clutch basket checked to see if it has been replaced under the recall programme

post #15 of 42 Old 04-26-2004, 5:55 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'm completely stumped. I just spend 45min jiggling things around trying to get the crankcase back on. Basically, the case will only go on if the lever is in the right position (where the knob of clutch lifter pin slides inside the notch of the shaft), otherwise the lifter pin sticks out too much and the case won't fit. If you put the case on with the pin in this position, then the shaft won't engage the pin. Clockwise, nothing. Counter-clockwise, case pops off.

Ratter, did you use the new solid lever/shaft with the original (recall work not done) clutch? I wonder if the new piece only works with the recall-replacement set. It does have a slightly different shape.

Finally some nice weather and both of my bikes are out of order.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page