brake bleeding? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-26-2004, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

brake bleeding?

anyone have any tips on this? or if anyone is local and may wanna give me a hand with this? i would appreciate it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-26-2004, 6:57 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Re: brake bleeding?

Where in NJ are you? It's not hard to just bleed them. First loosen the cap on the master cylinder reservior. Get a piece of tubing that fits snugly over the bleeder nipple. (ok, ok, I said nipple. ). Put the other end of the tubing in an old can or soda bottle. Open the bleeder nipple, squeeze the brake lever. Close the bleeder nipple, release the brake lever. Repeat until you see no air bubbles coming out. Keep a close eye on the reservior and add brake fluid as needed, don't let it run dry or you'll have lots of air in the lines. Close everything up and lightly tap on the lines to bring more air up, then repeat the bleeding procedure. When finished, tighten everything up and pump the brake lever. You'll do this one side at a time for the front. I like to start on the "high" side... the right. Another trick is, after you're done, hold the brake lever in overnight with a bungee. Then bleed again the next day.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-26-2004, 8:38 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I picked up some speedbleeders for a few bucks and it made bleeding the brakes very easy. They have a one way valve in them so when you have them one turn loose all you have to do is pump the brakes and keep the master cylinder full.

www.speedbleeder.com Now it is correct

There are some who call me ............................Tim

Last edited by Kuss929; 04-26-2004 at 1:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-26-2004, 8:45 AM

Yeah, forgot to mention those, I have them too. Makes it a lot easier. The check valve in the speedbleeder means you don't have to keep opening and closing the bleeder nipple...just open it and pump the lever.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-26-2004, 9:17 AM Thread Starter

thank you very much...
post #6 of 20 Old 04-26-2004, 9:21 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuss929
I picked up some speedbleeders for a few bucks and it made bleeding the brakes very easy. They have a one way valve in them so when you have them one turn loose all you have to do is pump the brakes and keep the master cylinder full.

www.speedbleeders.com

I assmume you mean http://www.speedbleeder.com/
post #7 of 20 Old 04-29-2004, 1:46 AM

Reputation Power: 18

What I do is submerge the hose attached to the bleed screw in a container with fresh fluid then open the bleed screw and start pumping away on the lever while keeping the resevoir full. You dont need to close the screw before you let off of the lever because aftre a few pumps the hose will be full of fluid and it cant suck any more air. This method uses more fluid which IMO is a good thing because you get a good flush. Start with the caliper farthest from the master cylinder.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-29-2004, 4:50 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullForce
What I do is submerge the hose attached to the bleed screw in a container with fresh fluid then open the bleed screw and start pumping away on the lever while keeping the resevoir full.
True only if you don't loosen the bleeder too much. Otherwise, you can still pull air between the threads of the bleeder and caliper, thus the reason some will teflon/seal the threads. Speedbleeders use a sealant on their threads and can be purchased on the site but there is probably an equal available on the commercial market for a much lower price.

It also helps to use a very tight fitting clear hose so you can see your progress and prevent air entry via the nipple.

Can you say 6 in a ROW!!!!

Last edited by Mavic; 04-29-2004 at 4:55 PM.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-29-2004, 5:50 PM

Although the speed bleeders make the overall job a lot easier, spending 15 bucks or so on a bleeder banjo bolt is the hot setup for truly bleeding your brakes. Unless you crack open the banjo bolt (with a towel underneath it) after you are finished bleeding the calipers, there is no way you will ever get all of the air out of the system without an MC bleeder. Remember that the air bubbles always travel to the top of any liquid. I have seen people pump a gallon of fluid through their brakes and never get the air out of the master cylinder area of the lines.

Check with Dan @ Street & Comp or LP Racing for the part, it's the best sub 20.00 mod you can make on your bike.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-29-2004, 8:06 PM

abtech, the line kit I'm ordering has a speed bleeder up top at the MC in lieu of a banjo bolt. Can I accomplish this last important step with what I'm buying?

http://www.holeshot.com/galfer/galf_lines_fz1.shtml
post #11 of 20 Old 04-29-2004, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
abtech, the line kit I'm ordering has a speed bleeder up top at the MC in lieu of a banjo bolt. Can I accomplish this last important step with what I'm buying?

http://www.holeshot.com/galfer/galf_lines_fz1.shtml
That is the "hot" setup. It allows you to bleed from the top where all of the air is.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-29-2004, 9:37 PM

Galfer lines now come with the bleeder bolt for the line at the top by the master cylinder. Good deal!
post #13 of 20 Old 04-29-2004, 9:44 PM

Great. Thanks you two.
post #14 of 20 Old 05-01-2004, 6:48 PM

Reputation Power: 23

As I am getting just enough rain to keep me from riding today, I decided to start getting ready for Grattan.
So I spent most of the afternoon driving (not riding ) looking for Motul SBF600. Of course, y'all know I couldn't find it locally. (All was not lost though, I was driving the Z06

Anywho, I got on my 'puker when I got home and surfed around and found a supplier which happened to be one I've used before for automotive stuff. They are selling 500ml. for $12.95. How does that compare to what you guys pay?

The real reason for this rambling is to post this brake fluid comparison I found while surfing. It's not a hard read and definitely geared to folks like me who are not interested in the theory and stoichiometry of any automotive fluid. However, I thought it interesting enough to share.

Check it out Brake fluid comparo

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.

Last edited by maxib; 05-01-2004 at 6:50 PM.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-02-2004, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullForce
What I do is submerge the hose attached to the bleed screw in a container with fresh fluid then open the bleed screw and start pumping away on the lever while keeping the resevoir full. You dont need to close the screw before you let off of the lever because aftre a few pumps the hose will be full of fluid and it cant suck any more air. This method uses more fluid which IMO is a good thing because you get a good flush. Start with the caliper farthest from the master cylinder.
I've been using Fullforce's suggestion the last couple times, works well especially as a one person operation.

HG, I thought the new Galfer lines came with the bleeder m/c bolt but they DON'T! Not unless you get someone to throw them in. I just put on these and had to use my other m/c bleeder bolt on this set. I assumed it was going to have it, but it didn't. BTW, I like these alot better then the standard lines that pinched up against the fender.
Galfer straight threaded onto caliper lines/kit

BTW, the torque values are half of what the stock values are, I don't know why. M/C banjo bolt 12lbs, stock I think is 25lbs. I'm getting just tiny bit of a leak right at the crush washer and master cylinder (after zip tieing the brake lever for a couple hours). Should I torque the m/c banjo bolt a tincy bit more? I have shop paper towels surrounding the banjo lines around the m/c bolt and saw just a tiny area that was absorbed onto the paper towel.

Edit: sidenote - I ordered the lines pictured but was either talked into or sent the only ones they had (conversation when called on status). The one's I received are angled 90 degrees just after the caliper mounting. I gotta go, just stopped into work for a second. Later!

Last edited by SuperDave; 05-02-2004 at 11:32 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page