Pilot Sport tires? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 1:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Pilot Sport tires?

Discount tire has a rippin deal on Pilot sport tires. Anyone have feed back on these? Are they ok for track days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 2:20 AM

Re: Pilot Sport tires?

My personal opinion is that they take way too much time to warm up and give no warning at all when they are about to let go. In the summer's here in Arizona I've never had a problem with the Pilot Sports. It's a whole different story in the winter (Arizona winters aren't that cold either), I've lowsided twice due to the pilots slipping out on me. Switched to Pirelli Diablo Corsas and never looked back!!!

Rick

Last edited by K9inAZ; 04-26-2004 at 2:22 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 6:50 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9inAZ
My personal opinion is that they take way too much time to warm up and give no warning at all when they are about to let go. In the summer's here in Arizona I've never had a problem with the Pilot Sports. It's a whole different story in the winter (Arizona winters aren't that cold either), I've lowsided twice due to the pilots slipping out on me. Switched to Pirelli Diablo Corsas and never looked back!!!

Rick
What he said. I've personally never tried the Pilots and the reason is I hear too many stories like the one above. Diablo Corsas for me, please! I also like Metzeler Sportecs. I liked the Bridgestone BT010s well enough and hear that the 012s are even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 9:03 AM

I rode 'em to pieces on my 954 and thought they were plenty okay for street duty. With the new Pilot Power coming out, a guy could score some incredible deals on the Sport. What's not to like (for Joe Average)?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
I liked the Bridgestone BT010s well enough and hear that the 012s are even better.
What she said.

(She's smart.)
post #6 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 9:27 AM

i don't ride on the track at all so all my experience is with the street riding. i find the michelins pretty damn good. they are quiet, comfortable (no extra vibration or "friction" sorta feeling) have great stability and control. they also last FOR EVER! i have almost 6k miles on mine now and the rear is maybe 1/2 to 3/4 worn. i will need a new rear by the end of this season (maybe sooner )i know it isn't much but i loved them and i will tell you the ONLY reason i will not get another set is because of the price. although i must say if most riders are replacing a $100 rear tire every season and i get 3 seasons out of a $200 tire it might be worth it to get another rear tire.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 10:12 AM

if the price is hot enough go for them. it took 3 separate trackdays to wear them to the tread indicators on the side which took the most punishment. whereas a friend on a sp1(rc51) same lap times needed to change his tyre midway through the 2nd day on m1's.
they are a slow steering tyre though but at least stable so go to a 180 if you havent done any mods to make it steer quicker. had no problems with the front but the rear will step out if pushed too hard, make sure you warm them up for at least 1 1/2 laps though.
im now using pilot powers and find them a bit better in every aspect except tyre life.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 10:43 AM

I've had two sets of them for street riding. I've had them slip out a few times at pretty low speeds because they don't get/stay warm on the street. I'm switching to Dunlops as soon as my rear wears out. Finally being spring now, they actually feel somewhat soft. In winter they felt like rocks.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 10:54 PM

Iíve gone through 4 sets of Pilot Sports and have no complaints. I ride on the street, really early in the morning, all year round, and have not experienced any problems related to slow warm up or poor grip when cold. I have read about others having problems with low grip when cold and Michelin even said that this was one of the areas the Pilot Power was going to address, so I know it is a real concern. I just keep that in mind before I go blasting into the corners. I like them.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 11:25 PM

I've had the rear slip every once in a while like everybody. But yesterday I had the front slide on me! That could have been BIG. For whatever reason they seem to slide more when the road is hotter. (I would think it would be the opposite) I have a slide mark thats almost half way around at the seam of the sidewall.

Mileage wise I have 5K on this rear and it is shot, gonna put the Diablos on Sat. The front has 10K on it and the tread is OK, but everywhere there is a sharp point it is cupped out. It makes the front vibrate under braking. I have seen this on other bikes as well.

Overall if you can get a good deal, and you dont get after it toooo much, this is a good tire. IMO
post #11 of 12 Old 04-26-2004, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty929RR
I've had the rear slip every once in a while like everybody. But yesterday I had the front slide on me! That could have been BIG. For whatever reason they seem to slide more when the road is hotter. (I would think it would be the opposite) I have a slide mark thats almost half way around at the seam of the sidewall.

Mileage wise I have 5K on this rear and it is shot, gonna put the Diablos on Sat. The front has 10K on it and the tread is OK, but everywhere there is a sharp point it is cupped out. It makes the front vibrate under braking. I have seen this on other bikes as well.

Overall if you can get a good deal, and you dont get after it toooo much, this is a good tire. IMO
I have the same experience. When it's cold (40's to 50's) the rear tire will spin at will. Some times I don't even realize the rear tire is just spinning. This never bothered me as it never caused any loss of control. However, just 2 days ago I was leaving my house and crossed an interestion, a car cut me off and I slowed a bit quick. Nothing out of the ordinary and the front started sliding sideways. I immediately let off the brake and had no problem regaining control but it was not fun at all having this experience realizing that if it was another second or two I'd be on the ground with my precious bike skidding along! It was about 65 too so it wasn't too cold?

Time to mount the corsa's!!!
post #12 of 12 Old 04-27-2004, 12:56 AM

I have run the Pilot Sports for 30,000 miles on my 929RR and never had a problem that was the tires fault. I knew they took a little time longer to warm up and always worked with in that. On the street they have worked great, neutral and always had the grip for me and I have pushed them a few times. When I first started my trackdays I ran them and they worked good as well but later switched the to the S2/H2 tires.

I also liked that they last long that any Dunlop I have seen, I usually could get 4-5000 on a rear and double that on a front. I never really wore out a front, always installed a new one at the first of the year.

On the 1000RR it came with the new Diablo Corsas and so far I like them. I have 1100 miles on the bike so far and have 2 weekends in the twisty stuff and they are nice. Are they better, not sure, really have not pushed the 1000RR that much yet.

I will try the new Pilot Powers when the Corsas are finished.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page