bike missed first service- how bad is this? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

bike missed first service- how bad is this?

I guess this is quite a general qn., so apologies if this belongs elsewhere.

I'm looking at a used 954, 9 mths. old, with 1600 miles on the clock. It's in perfect condition-only thing is that it has never had it's 1st 600 mile service. I don't know why the guy never got it done, it's been well looked after otherwise.

Anyway, I've read some posts on here on break in procedure, and obviously this bike has had a less than ideal break in , but do any of you who have knowledge of this kind of thing know if the bike should be steered clear of altogether or not?

TIA, mu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 AM

Re: bike missed first service- how bad is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu-shim

I'm looking at a used 954, 9 mths. old, with 1600 miles on the clock. It's in perfect condition-only thing is that it has never had it's 1st 600 mile service. I don't know why the guy never got it done, it's been well looked after otherwise.

Anyway, I've read some posts on here on break in procedure, and obviously this bike has had a less than ideal break in , but do any of you who have knowledge of this kind of thing know if the bike should be steered clear of altogether or not?

TIA, mu
If you want it, buy it after the owner has the dealer do the 600 mile service and has verified the warranty can still be in force.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 11:58 AM

It is a Honda. Change the oil immediately, inspect the fluids, and check torque settings on the major stuff all the way around the bike. It should be fine as long as the prior owner wasn't a stunna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 PM

Reputation Power: 18

It should be fine. You don't have to have the dealer do the service to keep the waranty in effect. You can do it yourself. I would change the oil and look everything over. The owners manual tells you everything you need to check.
That said, you could ask the owner to have the service done.

Steve
post #5 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thx for feedback so far - much appreciated.

The warranty issue isn't so important to me, and I can get the first service done by the garage that sold it.

My main concern/question is about potential long term damage to the engine due to missing the oil/filter change at 600 miles.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 12:59 PM

Quote:

The warranty issue isn't so important to me, and I can get the first service done by the garage that sold it.

My main concern/question is about potential long term damage to the engine due to missing the oil/filter change at 600 miles.

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on the issue of oil change frequency....

I, personally, wouldn't worry about the bike missing the first service.

Last edited by nhfirefighter13; 04-26-2004 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 1:03 PM

While in my opinion the first oil change is most important, I doubt it will hurt the long term durability. Use this as a bargaining tool to buy the bike, get it home, and immediately change the oil and filter. Only use a good filter BTW, Honda brand filters and Purolator are good, I like K&N's too.

BTW, if you change the oil the first time, don't be alarmed if the oil comes out looking like bassboat metallic paint from suspended metal particles. That's normal for break in oil.

post #8 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl954
It should be fine. You don't have to have the dealer do the service to keep the waranty in effect. You can do it yourself. I would change the oil and look everything over. The owners manual tells you everything you need to check.
That said, you could ask the owner to have the service done.

Steve
The issue is not whether the dealer performs the service. Its the fact that there was no service done. This needs to be reconciled with the warranty requirements. I'm not sure how/if the warranty would be impacted by it.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 3:58 PM

Quote:

HE should pay for the service, that was more my point since it has been his bike up till the time he sells it. I'd make it a requirment of the sale. Thats just me though
post #10 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 6:16 PM

Reputation Power: 22

think he should change the oil, ride it for 500-1000 miles than change it again to be on the safe side? or would that be unnessacary
post #11 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 6:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via MSN to crazycuRRie

Quote:

TIA, mu
My bike hasnt seen a service in 17k miles and is still running as strong as the day i bought it

WSMC 954

Sponsor: Mach 1,Chicken Hawk Racing, LP USA, Suzuki Motor Corp.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 6:48 PM

post #13 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 7:35 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycuRRie
My bike hasnt seen a service in 17k miles and is still running as strong as the day i bought it
um, why? please tell me that DOESNT include a oil change
post #14 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
The issue is not whether the dealer performs the service. Its the fact that there was no service done. This needs to be reconciled with the warranty requirements. I'm not sure how/if the warranty would be impacted by it.
how on earth would Honda know whether or not he had done the service in his own garage?

As others have said, change the oil and don't worry about it. I would insist that he pay for the dealer to do the service (especially since you are supposed to check the valves at 600, no?), and also to knock a little money off the price, but otherwise, I doubt there has been any damage. My bigger concern would be whether he also ignored the rev guidelines during break-in.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-26-2004, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffs
(especially since you are supposed to check the valves at 600, no?),
I'm thinking the manual says to do the first valve check at 16K miles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page