Bike Sale Dilemma - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 6:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Bike Sale Dilemma

Well, Im thinking bout selling bike and actually have an interested guy I know at school. Hes an older guy bout 30, and he wants my bike. He then asked me a question that got me thinking, "Do you think this is OK as a first bike?" I was like "Ummmmm...." well I told him it all had to do with self dicipline, and if he could respect the bike. I told him a 600 or 750 which he was looking at getting too could get him in as much trouble just as fast........to sell or not to sell. Damn why did the 1000RR have to come out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 6:22 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Bike Sale Dilemma

No way I could do it. Wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I may have sold him his death.

This bike may be many things, but it no beginners machine, thats for damn sure. I would look at it as being incredibly irresponsible to sell a bike like this to a noob.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 6:26 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 17

Well, all I needed was one response, to knock some sense into me... Guess Ill be putting it in the cycle trader, for a seasoned rider. Thanx for the
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 6:31 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Are you really going to sell it to only a seasoned rider?
If you have a buyer interested at the price you want sell it for go for it. It really sucks when you want to sell something and no one is biting.
You could sell someone a glass with 2 inches of water in it and the guy could drown it is not your fault if the guy is incompetent.

Just my 2 cents.

There are some who call me ............................Tim
post #5 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 6:41 PM

Kuss, that is the most irrational and twisted logic that I've ever heard.

I'm sure you'd gladly sell a helicopter to someone with absolutely no experience as long as they had the money?

The acceleration, the braking, way too many variables with this bike for someone with zero experience to have to contend with.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 6:42 PM

People need to take responsiblity for their own actions. If he doesn't buy your bike, who's to say he may not buy one from someone else.

You're totally right, it's not the bike that can hurt you, it's all about having respect for the power and knowing how to use it.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 6:47 PM

First off, I don't think any of us would say a 9xx is a "good" bike for a beginner. But I know guys that bought literbikes as first bikes and have enjoyed several years of trouble free riding And I've seen guys get killed/seriously injured on 600s (including SV650 which many people call a good starter bike). I'm sure we all have examples of both sides of this.
Do what you think is right.

Last edited by Serial Thriller; 04-28-2004 at 6:48 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Noyz
Kuss, that is the most irrational and twisted logic that I've ever heard.

I'm sure you'd gladly sell a helicopter to someone with absolutely no experience as long as they had the money?

The acceleration, the braking, way too many variables with this bike for someone with zero experience to have to contend with.
I know people whos first bikes were busa's. No riding experience before except the motorcycle safety coarse. They were not idiots on them they rode them to their ability.

With your logic how do gun dealers sleep at night? They sell products designed to kill.

There are some who call me ............................Tim
post #9 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 7:42 PM

IMHO if he want's a bike that size he'll buy it from someone.....show me the money. I'd advise him that it's not a starter bike but if he still wanted it, it's his responsibility.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRWANTR
IMHO if he want's a bike that size he'll buy it from someone.....show me the money. I'd advise him that it's not a starter bike but if he still wanted it, it's his responsibility.
In the end, I agree with this. However, I think dealerships should take the opposite stance for the betterment of the sport in general.

This is an acute case of situational ethics, I know.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 9:04 PM

How about selling it to him along with STRONGLY recommending specific training that will help him to enjoy using it intelligently?
post #12 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
How about selling it to him along with STRONGLY recommending specific training that will help him to enjoy using it intelligently?
Yep.

You could also offer to train the guy up a bit, you know, mentor him a little. De-tuning the bike would help (stuffing the airbox, putting a plate in the exhaust, overgapping the plugs, installing a PCIIIr and retarding timing/changing the fueling, etc), too.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 9:56 PM

Well Duke, obviously I'm the only one here that agrees with my opinion.

Guess I'm just turning into a little old lady as I progress through the years.

Good luck with your situation.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-29-2004, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
People need to take responsiblity for their own actions. If he doesn't buy your bike, who's to say he may not buy one from someone else.

You're totally right, it's not the bike that can hurt you, it's all about having respect for the power and knowing how to use it.
Sure.. so you should help some poor ignorant sod help maim/kill themselves because they very well have not clue what they are getting into? Sheesh.. totally irrsponsible IMHO.

I could not do it either.. no freaking way. I only once sold a bike to an inexperienced rider and that's only because it was the bike I learned on.. I also would not sell a chaninsaw to a 5 year old if they had the money. .they more than likely don't know any better.. thats' a more valid analogy IMHO.

There will be a more appropriate buyer I'm sure. Hard to turn down and enthusist but... sometimes you just have to do the right thing even if they don't realize it (yet).
post #15 of 16 Old 04-29-2004, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot
Sure.. so you should help some poor ignorant sod help maim/kill themselves because they very well have not clue what they are getting into? Sheesh.. totally irrsponsible IMHO.

I could not do it either.. no freaking way. I only once sold a bike to an inexperienced rider and that's only because it was the bike I learned on.. I also would not sell a chaninsaw to a 5 year old if they had the money. .they more than likely don't know any better.. thats' a more valid analogy IMHO.

There will be a more appropriate buyer I'm sure. Hard to turn down and enthusist but... sometimes you just have to do the right thing even if they don't realize it (yet).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page