Need some help with saftey info - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 7:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Need some help with saftey info

Well yesterday I pulled up to a stop sign. Two cars in front of me and none immediately behind me. Just as the car in front of me stops then turns right, I look in my mirror (don't know why but something caught my eye) and I see a truck fast approaching from behind me who doesn't see the stop sign or me stopped at th stop sign. Since both cars that were in front of me had taken a right at the 4 way stop there was no one if front of me. So I gas it. The guy in the truck now sees the stop sign and slams on the brakes. He ends up stopping in the middle of the intersection. I was know well clear of the truck and that intersction. I was still in first gear and pulled in my clutch to coast to the second stop sign that was coming up. Probably 80-100 yards from the one I had just came from. When I see a cop sitting on the side of the road. I look over at the cop to see where he is looking (hoping he was going to nail the truck driver). Whole time the cops watching me, which I can kinda understand because from where the cop is parked he can't see the intersection clearly from where I just came from. From his point of view he sees a guy on a motorcycle pass in front of him at a speed higher than that which is posted. Of course he pulls me over. I jump off the bike and was going to flag down the truck that almost ran me over to explain to the cop I wasn't speeding for the heck of it. When I see the truck turn left onto another road. So the cop is looking at me like I'm on drugs. He starts with the routine 'do you know why I pulled you over?' I tell him I'm sure I was going over the posted speed but I was almost rear ended. I asked him if he saw any of it. He says no and I can tell it to the judge. He slaps me with a 41 in a 25 zone. I'm sitting there feeling dumb founded. I nearly got ran over and I manage to avoid someone elseís careless driving and what do I get, a ticket?!?!

What I wanted to start preparing for the court date. It's almost two months away according to the ticket. I was hoping some of you guys could point me to some helpful facts. I wanted to find a stat that should amount of rear endeds to bike and damage/death that occurred. Also does anyone have any suggestions? I'm kinda feeling like there is little I can do. This is the first ticket I've gotten. Normally I'm pretty tame and obey the speed limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 7:14 PM

Reputation Power: 18

My best advice is to tell the truth. Admit that you exceeded the limit, but give the judge and officer the reason why.

Good luck!
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 7:21 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Plus if the cop doesn't show up, it'll just get thrown out. I wouldn't worry about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 7:26 PM
dB

Man, I'm sure that's tough to swallow, but it's certainly better than the alternative! Nice job on staying alive.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 8:50 PM

Reputation Power: 19

You didn't mention the time of day that this occurred. Were you facing the sun? If so, maybe the truck driver was blinded and didn't see you and the stop sign. The time is on the ticket and may help your case. You might want to go back to that intersection and snap a photograph of the skid marks left by the truck, this may also help your case. Good luck.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 9:14 PM

Quote:
fivestar929 : My best advice is to tell the truth. *Admit that you exceeded the limit, but give the judge and officer the reason why.

Good luck!
This is very good advice. If you admit to going over the speed limit, but then give good, sound reasoning as to why you HAD to do it, I think a judge is more likely to let you off with a warning or lessen the charge. They are more likely to believe your story if you admit to doing it. Also don't forget to mention that you tried to motion to the truck that almost hit you. If the officer shows up, he could at least testify that he saw you signaling to someone, but he had no idea what you were trying to do or why. I think this reasoned approach would be your best bet.

Good luck!
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 9:53 PM

Wow! *Talk about a victim of circumstance. *I certainly hope you get a judge with a brain and some compassion.

And yes, as others have already pointed out, by all means tell the story just the way it happened. Hopefully the cop will corroborate your trying to stop the truck driver.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2003, 11:56 PM

I'd recommend that you snap some photos from the cop's perspective, as well as from the intersection. You want the judge to be able to understand the entire situation as well as possible.

I'd suspect you'll come out OK. It's certainly worth your while pleading not guilty so you have the opportunity to plea your case to the judge. I think most judges are intelligent enough to understand the consequences of a truck rear-ending a motorcycle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page