Pirelli Diablos -- track and rain results - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-16-2003, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
ER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Pirelli Diablos -- track and rain results

I rode to the track on Friday and had to endure nasty rain on the way there. The Diablos just ate it up. I was probably doing anywhere from 45-65mph in rain so heavy that there was running water across the highway. While I noticed a little bit of sliding in some turns (which would be expected in those conditions) the tires plowed right through the water on the road while maintaining a straight line.

On the track, the Diablos were every bit as sticky as the Sportecs. I think they turn in a bit easier and they give a little more feedback than the Sportecs did. Despite the wet conditions, I was still able to really push it through a few of the turns and they were planted. The only place I slid at all was through draining water while turning.

I'll probably stick with these tires for a while. They give the same grip as the Sportecs and I like the look and feel of them a little better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-16-2003, 11:28 AM

These weren't the Diablo Corsas, right? *HGToo has the Diablo Corsas and she rode them in the rain in FL. *They worked great in the rain too, well, until the water got too deep. *I was riding behind her and they left a nice dry line.

Sounds like I need to try the Diablos too. Thanks for the good info ER!

post #3 of 13 Old 06-16-2003, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
ER

These were the plain ol' Diablos. They really did feel just like the Sportecs with a little better turn-in and great handing in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-28-2003, 12:17 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Great news. I have a pair of Diablo Corsas in the mail somewhere. I will be using them at the track and hope they will do the job. I am replacing Rennsports with these. Since I am not too fast, I think they will work fine and not be as sensitive to heat cycling as a full race compound tire. If they make me nervous, I will switch back to Pirelli Super Corsas / Metzeler Rennsports.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-30-2003, 6:11 PM

Reputation Power: 31

You will love them!!
post #6 of 13 Old 07-07-2003, 9:48 AM

Is it just me, or has anyone noticed that there's more tire noise with the Pirelli's versus the Michelin's? I just put a set on (only about 70 miles on them so far) and the first thing I noticed was a slight hum.

Tom
post #7 of 13 Old 07-07-2003, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
ER

The Sportecs are the same way as the Pirellis. The Pilots were a smooth, quiet tire. I'll trade noise for grip any day though...
post #8 of 13 Old 07-07-2003, 10:12 AM

What is the price difference? I was really impressed with the Sportecs for track day. What a difference between them and my old BT010s. I'll be ordering another M1 rear for now, but I'll keep these in mind.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-07-2003, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
ER

I did a quick price-check on Discount Motorcycle Tire and the Diablos are about $25 more for a pair than the Sportecs.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-07-2003, 11:48 AM

Reputation Power: 31

I haven't compared them pricewise to the Sportecs, but the Diablo Corsas are more than the Diablos. My impression is the the Diablos are similar in price to the Sportecs.
I love the Diablo Corsas
post #11 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 12:55 AM

Quote:
ER : The Sportecs are the same way as the Pirellis. *The Pilots were a smooth, quiet tire. *I'll trade noise for grip any day though...
Yeah, I'm with you there. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going batty or something. I was a little surprised at how much noisier they are. But the grip seems great so far. I'll really find out on the run down to Laguna Seca starting tomorrow morning!

Tom
post #12 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 4:16 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
tbeemer : Is it just me, or has anyone noticed that there's more tire noise with the Pirelli's versus the Michelin's? *I just put a set on (only about 70 miles on them so far) and the first thing I noticed was a slight hum.

Tom
Wow, I thought I was going crazy when I first heard that. Either that or my wheel bearings were going bad all of a sudden.

-Shrub

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-10-2003, 6:27 AM
JxS

Greetings from Finland.

Well I must say that reading this kind of info before selecting new tyres is great! At the moment old BT010 tyres are shaking heavily and must be replaced by Diablos. I will let you know how these work on Finnish 'bad' roads.

Some Blades in Finland URL:
http://www.mp-foorumi.com/gallery....vat+%3E

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page