Tip Over Switch? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 2:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Tip Over Switch?

Does a 929 have a tip over switch?

If there is a tip over switch, exactly where is it located, and must it be reset after bike has been down? What is the reset procedure?

Bike has sat since last March, and can't get a sound out of it. Headlight goes out when start button is used. Its been so long I can't recall if that's normal when cranking it.

No, that's not normal on headlight-come to think of it. It is fully charged/fueled. I'll look for shorted wire as the fuses are ok.

Help somebody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 3:18 AM

under seat by battery. Its self resetting. lights usualy dim on cranking, the starter is pulling alot if juice.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 11:10 AM

The headlight goes completely out when you hit the starter switch? Dimming is normal but going out completely isn't. That sounds like the battery. Even if it appears fully charged using a voltmeter - it could still have a dead cell and fail under a load. Maybe you could swap in a different battery from a friend's bike?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 1:19 PM

Quote:
nokwitter : The headlight goes completely out when you hit the starter switch? Dimming is normal but going out completely isn't. That sounds like the battery. Even if it appears fully charged using a voltmeter - it could still have a dead cell and fail under a load. Maybe you could swap in a different battery from a friend's bike?
Or fly in the face of reason and actually jump start it from your car. I know this has been beaten to death, but I have NEVER seen ANYONE have a problem with this and I have done it personally several times without incident.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 2:34 PM

Reputation Power: 18

The headlight is suppose to turn off when you hit the starter switch. Turn the kill switch on and the bike should start right up.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 3:26 PM Thread Starter

I will check out your suggestions very shortly.

You can see I have not been on a bike in awhile. Get this question. Don't Honda's have to flip the kill button to 'OFF' when the engine is turned OFF & leave in OFF position till cranking it again? I recall finding a dead battery if I did not do this with Honda I'm certain.

This does not apply to my Suzuki I know.

Woe is me.........................
post #7 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 4:09 PM

As an Avionic Tech, what the hell difference would it make jump starting from a car? *12v is 12v is 12v.

The tip over switch is reset after a tip over by turning off the key and restarting.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn on the key? *If not, put the run switch on the right bar to on/run. Does the pump prime now? *The circle with the X is the doesnt run position.

post #8 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 5:27 PM Thread Starter

sonic,

Yes, I hear it prime each time the kill switch is flipped to the ON position. The side stand is up and clutch lever engaged when start button is pushed..........with the headlight still cutting off when the start button is engaged.

Not a sound beyond the priming sequence.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 5:41 PM

Quote:
soniccbr : As an Avionic Tech, what the hell difference would it make jump starting from a car? *12v is 12v is 12v.

The tip over switch is reset after a tip over by turning off the key and restarting.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn on the key? *If not, put the run switch on the right bar to on/run. Does the pump prime now? *The circle with the X is the doesnt run position.
I mentioned it this way only because several people on this and quite a few other forums have been told that they should never jump start the bike from a car (??) as it would 'burn up the voltage regulator'. I totally agree with you, but didn't want to turn this into another debate about jump starting your bike.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 8:24 PM Thread Starter

I just 'carefully' attempted to 'boost off' the bike.

Used a 100 amp charger-booster I have. My daughter was point person on the outside current. On demand she plugged in the boost unit to power it up. As always to start, the clutch lever is in, side stand up, kill switch to ON. No more than 4-5 seconds max of current was allowed to run into the bike. And we still got nothing/not a sound when I engaged the START button. *NOTE* The headlight still cut out when START button was engaged.

I am lost now as to the problem, because if it was the battery as alluded to, didn't we just clear up that issue? By the way, I used this battery (honda unit) in my busa in Myrtle Beach last month, without incident. What else could cause this problem now, other than a short in the electrical system?

Anyone else want to step up to the plate for a swing (with an idea to try out on this no engine start problem)? I'll catch.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 8:43 PM

You don't still have it under warranty do you?
post #12 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 9:14 PM

If the battery has a dead cell, even boosting it won't necessarily get the bike to start. *I have seen batteries with an 'open' cell (similar to a blown fuse) that won't allow current transfer at all. *I would still try and jump it from a running car before I started tearing things apart. *I don't remember if you said that you checked the fuses, but I'm guessing you did . . .

just re-read your original post: you did check the fuses.

post #13 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 9:18 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Well I can tell you it's not the tip over switch because when I had a low side the bike cranked over but wouldn't start until I cycled the key. Then it started right up. I would try to bang on the started solenoid while holding down the starter switch. If you can get to it. *If nothing else push start it just to make sure it runs and everything else is fine.

post #14 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 9:27 PM

Quote:
OntheEdge : Well I can tell you it's not the tip over switch because when I had a low side the bike cranked over but wouldn't start until I cycled the key. Then it started right up. I would try to bang on the started solenoid while holding down the starter switch. If you can get to it. *If nothing else push start it just to make sure it runs and everything else is fine.
If the battery is dead, push starting may get it to fire, but not run. It takes several seconds above 3K before the alternator will swing a charge, and even then, if the battery is dead (or open) it won't keep the ignition and fuel pump running.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-15-2003, 9:40 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
abtech : Quote (OntheEdge @ June 15 2003, 9:18pm)Well I can tell you it's not the tip over switch because when I had a low side the bike cranked over but wouldn't start until I cycled the key. Then it started right up. I would try to bang on the started solenoid while holding down the starter switch. If you can get to it. *If nothing else push start it just to make sure it runs and everything else is fine.
If the battery is dead, push starting may get it to fire, but not run. *It takes several seconds above 3K before the alternator will swing a charge, and even then, if the battery is dead (or open) it won't keep the ignition and fuel pump running.
But then atleast he would know its the battery

Life is Good, Life is Great

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page