Extreme clutch chatter - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-16-2003, 9:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Extreme clutch chatter

Has anyone observed bearing failure of the clutch or other clutch failures around 20k miles?

I have a new clutch assy. to replace the original with, but would like to know EXACTLY what the problem may be, versus the 'shotgun approach'. Intentions are to check plate wear, flywheel warpage, and throwout bearing wear. Any other recommendations or similar occurances?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-16-2003, 9:31 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Are you just going by sound or can you feel it in the clutch?
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2003, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

If you are wondering how I know its the clutch - by simply engaging the clutch and the chatter subsides. As long as the bike is in gear (w/ clutch disengaged), there is no chatter. I used my 'engine stethoscope' to listen to the engine (while in Neutral) and noted the loud chattering noise was imminating from the clutch cover (right side).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2003, 1:16 PM

Mine does the same isn't that normal or should it be quite just like when the clutch is engage (it only has 4k on it)

My friends gixxer does the same, if it makes you feel any better.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2003, 2:56 PM Thread Starter

Keith - as stated in the Title, this is more than the standard clutch noise heard on all Honda sportbikes. The sound makes me think the throwout bearing is going bad. I already have the case cover off, I just havent had a moment to pull the plates out and inspect everything. Since I am at work right now and I plan on inspecting this afternoon - I thought I would get everyones opinion and see what the consensus determined, possibly sending me straight to the problem and not going the slow route of finding the problem myself.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2003, 7:39 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to BushrodW

Quote:
googolplexu : Keith - as stated in the Title, this is more than the standard clutch noise heard on all Honda sportbikes. *The sound makes me think the throwout bearing is going bad. *I already have the case cover off, I just havent had a moment to pull the plates out and inspect everything. *Since I am at work right now and I plan on inspecting this afternoon - I thought I would get everyones opinion and see what the consensus determined, possibly sending me straight to the problem and not going the slow route of finding the problem myself.
if you use a steth-o-scope it would sound like the engine is flying apart. The normal clutch-out-in-natural noise quite loud enough to hear with the naked ear on both 929's I've owned. It's not nearly as loud on the wife's honda cbr600F4i.

Are you using the best oil available?

bW

www.AirAmericaRadio.com
post #7 of 9 Old 06-17-2003, 4:52 AM Thread Starter

I am not sure what you consider 'the best', but I deem Amsoil to be the 'the best' and that is what I use.

I disassembled everything last night and noted very minimal wear on the discs and plates, no warping at all and the judder springs look fine. Everything was reassembled and I decided to check the smoothness of the 'clutch lifter pin' within the bearing race - it feels fairly notchy (doesnt rotate smoothly within the race). Next plan is to install a spare clutch lifter pin and thowout bearing I have, and see if it is any smoother in comparison. I will update the 'thread' with my findings this evening.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Reputation Power: 9

DID it fix problem? I have close to same thing, it sounds like a rattle or like a grinding alone with a chain cracking! And when you pull clutch lever in the noise goes away! I took clutch basket out and everything looked fine but there is a little drag on the lifter bearing when you spin it on ur fingers could that be the soure of the noise?
post #9 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons929 View Post
DID it fix problem? I have close to same thing, it sounds like a rattle or like a grinding alone with a chain cracking! And when you pull clutch lever in the noise goes away! I took clutch basket out and everything looked fine but there is a little drag on the lifter bearing when you spin it on ur fingers could that be the soure of the noise?

When you pulled the basket were the damper springs in the back of the primary gear loose?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page