Picking up my Black 1000RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-13-2004, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Picking up my Black 1000RR

I posted this on another thread but I've reposted it to try to get some response. Anyway, my dealer called today and said that my Black 1000RR was in. I got to the store just as they were uncrating it. Wow, what a tight, mean, wicked looking package!

I was somewhat dismayed to see that the Honda wing logo was not clear coated on the tank. I remember the Red ones having the logo sealed under clear coat. Is the paint on the Black bikes clear coated at all?

I told the dealer not to clean the bike. It is covered in an oily smeary film. My concern was that they would scratch the paint as they wiped and cleaned the bike. What would be a good way to remove this film? I thought I would wash the bike using S-100 cycle cleaner and hose. Any thoughts? Then I'm going to carefully wax the paint.

I'll post my thoughts on the bike after I put a few miles on it.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2004, 11:14 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Picking up my Black 1000RR

Nice garage you've got there David.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-13-2004, 11:19 PM

Is the lack of clear coat because it has a plastic tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-13-2004, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
Is the lack of clear coat because it has a plastic tank?
nope. The black bike doesn't have the wings clear coated on the tank cover, but the red & silver bikes do. I've seen a few discussions, but no one can come up with any ideas as to why Honda did it this way.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-14-2004, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDavid
I told the dealer not to clean the bike. It is covered in an oily smeary film. My concern was that they would scratch the paint as they wiped and cleaned the bike. What would be a good way to remove this film? I thought I would wash the bike using S-100 cycle cleaner and hose. Any thoughts? Then I'm going to carefully wax the paint.
You're on target. Hose it down well before putting a rag to it, to remove as much grit as possible. I find that spraying the painted surfaces with Honda Spray Polish before the first hosing helps to loosen the dirt and grit.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-14-2004, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbau
nope. The black bike doesn't have the wings clear coated on the tank cover, but the red & silver bikes do. I've seen a few discussions, but no one can come up with any ideas as to why Honda did it this way.
Same thing with the 600RRs.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-15-2004, 6:24 PM Thread Starter

OK, the rain has let up long enough so that I could bring my 1000RR home with out getting wet. Only rode it 15 miles. First impressions are that for me the ergos are going to be an issue. The bars are to low for me. The pegs are high but I can tolerate them. Hello Helibars! I'm really impressed with how smooth the engine is. Only ran it up to 5,000 rpm a few times. It feels very responsive and strong. Lots of low end torque. Take offs require very little to no clutch slippage. Kind of feels like my FJR on the bottom end. Can't tell much on the brakes yet. I tried to use them very little until I got home and could wipe down the rotors with contact cleaner. Nice light feel in the bars, suspension is very firm but compliant. Tranny is a little stiff but should smooth out with a few more miles of gearbox use.

Later after it cools off I will need to wash and wax it. Told the dealer to leave the oily film on it as I want to clean it. Hopefully Sunday will be dry and I'll get out and put some miles on it. I'm glad I got the Black it has a neat tight look about it.

David
post #8 of 9 Old 05-16-2004, 12:17 AM

Reputation Power: 18

dont fart around with your bike ... get it up to 9 or 10 grand going through the gears if you want that puppy to run good in the long run

Last edited by FullForce; 05-16-2004 at 12:18 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-16-2004, 2:27 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDavid
OK, the rain has let up long enough so that I could bring my 1000RR home with out getting wet.

you're not going to be able to hide the bike from rain for ever, the day I got my 1000RR, I rode home along the freeway in pouring rain, and today it gave a few showers as well but that was bound to happen becuase I washed it yesterday.

I've also ridden around the Melbourne CBD in absolute pissing rain in peak hour traffic. Does Bruceville have metal tram tracks on the roads, because I know Melbourne does, and they aren't much fun in the wet, didnít stop me though.

As long as you take it easy and are looking at the 1000RR as more than a piece of jewellery get it out there ride it and have fun in whatever weather.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page