how bad is a bad charging system? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-14-2004, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

how bad is a bad charging system?

Just wondering how pricey a bad charging system is gonna get for me on a 96 cbr 900rr. apperantly the battery is ok so it has to be something with the charging system why i keep getting a dead battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-14-2004, 2:02 AM

Re: how bad is a bad charging system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade-RR
Just wondering how pricey a bad charging system is gonna get for me on a 96 cbr 900rr. apperantly the battery is ok so it has to be something with the charging system why i keep getting a dead battery.
I don't know what that would cost but make sure you clean and tighten all your battery connections. At least thats what I did on my car to fix a similar problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-14-2004, 12:40 PM

I had the same problem when I bought my bike. Battery wouldn't keep a charge for $h!t. Voltage regulator-rectifier more than likely. Check out item 12 in the wireing harness. This part is located on the subframe. You might be able to see it with the seat off, but you probably will have to take your seat plastics off to remove it. I cant remember. (2 bolts and an electrical connector).
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_03...re_harness.cfm

The factory part is about $150.00, but the shop found another aftermarket one (though I cannot remember who made it) for about $90.00 Never had a single charging problem (even with my chep-o autozone battery) since then (about 3+ years ago). Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Goose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-14-2004, 1:18 PM

Well, the stator is what does the charging. The R/R puts out the current to keep the battery charged. You'll need to determine if it's the R/R or the stator. If you check your battery with a voltmeter, the voltage should climb a bit as rpms increase, peaking somewhere around 5k rpms. It should start at 13 volts at idle. If the voltage doesn't climb as the rpms increase then you have a bad R/R.

My guess is a bad R/R, especially if your battery is ok. A bad stator will cook your battery.

Electrex makes aftermarket R/R stuff and they have one for your model bike.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-14-2004, 3:25 PM Thread Starter

Well that doesnt sound so bad..If it is the R/R..how long do you think it would take the shop to change it out? or is it something someone who doesnt know much about bikes can do?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-14-2004, 4:55 PM

You should be able to exchange it out, no problem. Just gotta find where it is on your bike. On my 954 it's mounted on the left side near the subframe. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes. A couple of bolts, unplug it and it's off. Easy. You can do it and save yourself some $$$.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-14-2004, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade-RR
Well that doesnt sound so bad..If it is the R/R..how long do you think it would take the shop to change it out? or is it something someone who doesnt know much about bikes can do?
It'll take longer to remove your tail plastics. Just 2 12mm bolts and an electrical connector.

*edit* just looked at mine. it's on the outside of the subframe, lined up with the seat. You will have to remove your right tail plastic. If you cant get it to a shop/trust a shop and know sombody else with a 900RR, it'll probably take 10 minutes to swap Reg/rect.'s to see if that is the prob.

Last edited by Goose; 05-14-2004 at 4:59 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 12:44 PM

hey, im having a similar problem with my y2k 929. i replaced battery,still happened. was assured it was reg/rectifier, replaced it,it still happened. with a fuuly charged battery, i put a volt meter across the terminals, 12.8 v, revved the bike and v increased.turn the lights on, v dropped, rev the bike, v increased.everything doing as it should, but stil the battery drained, all connections are good.3 pin plug under the seat is testing fine, main starter relay is working. im at a loss, can anyone help? pleazzzzzzzz
post #9 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 3:19 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

On a voltmeter is the battery actually draining while the bike is just sitting with the ignition off?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 5:44 PM

Reputation Power: 13

well my stator died and it didn't roast my battery.

if the stator isn't sending out any votlage its bad if its sendng out to much its bad.

if your battery is getting cooked then your RR is bad and its not regulating the voltage as it was designed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page