Steering stem nut install question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-16-2004, 4:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Steering stem nut install question

I'm new to the forum and I've already discovered the wealth of knowledge Fireblades.org presents. However, I did a search and couldn't find a definitive answer.
Question: I just installed a Hyperpro RSC steering damper. When installing the steering stem nut on top of the bracket supplied by Hyperpro and tightening to 76 ft/lbs torque, I don't have a full set of threads. This makes me nervous. Is this normal for this steering damper setup? Or should I not worry about this at all? Do I have the wrong install kit? My bike has had the 2002 steering stem/bearing recall done and wonder if this could be the problem. Thanks in advance for services rendered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-16-2004, 11:25 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Steering stem nut install question

Are you using the original washer under that nut. Because I don't think you're suppose to use it with the hyperpro bracket. I had one at one time but have the Ohlins now. I liked the Hyperpro better as far as function.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-17-2004, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

I am not using any washer at all (per instructions by hyperpro). The hyperpro bracket is the "washer" in this case. Should I use blue loctite on it to make sure it does'nt loosen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-17-2004, 12:20 PM

Reputation Power: 31

I have a Hyper Pro damper also (the older model). The nut, when properly torqued, has about 1-2 rows of thread showing above the bolt it's screwed onto. Is that what yours has? I think it looked that way stock, too, as the washer was under there instead of the Hyper Pro bracket. If you're only showing a line or two of threads on the nut, I think that's normal. The bolts on the steering stem usually don't come up above the nut.

Last edited by HondaGalToo; 05-17-2004 at 12:21 PM.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-17-2004, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via MSN to crazycuRRie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARMER954
I am not using any washer at all (per instructions by hyperpro). The hyperpro bracket is the "washer" in this case. Should I use blue loctite on it to make sure it does'nt loosen?
Can you get us any pictures of the install, i know that my ohlins brackt does not allow for OEM washer either and i have 1 1/2 - 2 full threads showing..

WSMC 954

Sponsor: Mach 1,Chicken Hawk Racing, LP USA, Suzuki Motor Corp.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-17-2004, 12:27 PM

Kind of related, I just installed a ohlins damper. The bracket that goes on the steering stem has a "peg" that comes out of it to lock it into place. Well when I was tightening it, that peg bent and began to shift...scratching the hell out of my stem. What a piece of crap design. Looking at it, the entire damper will fail if that peg doesn't hold up...which it didn't hold up against a torque wrench. I'm going to grab a tig welder and do this thing up right. Anyone else have a similar experience. (Sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread)
post #7 of 20 Old 05-17-2004, 1:11 PM Thread Starter

I'll get some pictures tonight when I am home, but I'm thinking it has about 4 rows of threads showing. Sounds like from the replies so far, this is normal? I know the tab on the hyperpro bracket is in the slot on the back of the upper triple clamp.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-18-2004, 12:38 AM

I installed mine and havent had the steering bearing recall done. No washer installed and no threads are showing...

To the one with the Ohlins damper: did it come with some kind of grease to install between the nut and the bracket?
post #9 of 20 Old 05-18-2004, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
Kind of related, I just installed a ohlins damper. The bracket that goes on the steering stem has a "peg" that comes out of it to lock it into place. Well when I was tightening it, that peg bent and began to shift...scratching the hell out of my stem. What a piece of crap design. Looking at it, the entire damper will fail if that peg doesn't hold up...which it didn't hold up against a torque wrench. I'm going to grab a tig welder and do this thing up right. Anyone else have a similar experience. (Sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread)
I had the same problem with my Hyperpro mount and had to buy a new one. I got the Harris mount for my Ohlins and it's designed much better.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-18-2004, 9:00 AM

I went to an autoparts store and bought a package of rolling pins. I tapped out the bent peg and stuck a new one in. I had 2 people holding that bracket steady with all their might as I torqued it. What a crappy design.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-18-2004, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Here is the picture I promised. Just got an e-mail from hyperpro themselves. They said 2.5 mm below the steering stem shaft is normal and nothing to worry about. This sounds about what I have. I will attach their e-mail for everyone to view.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-18-2004, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

ooops! invalid file type I guess. I'll do it when I get home. Here is the e-mail:

This is the reply from R&D, probably says it best...

according to my data the nut should fall short 2.5mm of thread. This is correct. The thickness of the bottom of the bracket is 3.5mm, the nut is 12mm thick, which adds up to 15.5mm. The steering stem is raised only 13mm above the top triple tree, so that explains the 2.5mm thread-loss. If the difference is more than 3mm please let me know.

We've tested this succesfully in development and have been selling over a thousand of this type of kit for 4 years (the 2000/2001 CBR929RR has the same issue) without any problems concerning this. In other words, no need to worry.

Let us know if you have any other questions...

Hyperpro USA
1-888-963-1212
post #13 of 20 Old 05-18-2004, 11:30 AM

It seems like we (including me) agree that a thread or 2 sticking up is correct. Only jc deems it a crappy design. The instructons do tell you to keep the tab in place and use the supplied grease on the surface of the bracket and nut so it won't drag so it won't turn. Also, it's not the tab that keeps the damper in place, its the clamping force from the nut. The tab is supposed to keep it straight during install.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #14 of 20 Old 05-18-2004, 12:52 PM

I'm talking about the ohlins kit, I haven't seen the hyperpro kit. The ohlins kit comes with a new nut with less threads, so that wasn't my issue. Ohlins does not have grease and here are the instructions right from the manual:
Quote:
Loosen the centre nut of the steering column. Fit
the bracket arm (02270-04) supplied. The bracket
should be facing backwards so it locks in the groove
of the triple clamp. Fix the bracket with the centre
nut supplied. Thighten to a torque of 100 Nm.
That peg needs to with stand the 100Nm's of torque, which it hasn't time and time again...from my experience and others.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-18-2004, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARMER954
Chiming in late here - but my RSC Hyperpro damper is exactly as you have described - so it's apparently normal. I have been retorquing mine occasionally just to be safe. No probs so far.

Let's see some of those 250R's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page