Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

VFR swingarm conversion?

44K views 85 replies 25 participants last post by  nigelrb 
#1 ·
Hi I am new to this forum, has anyone done a vfr swingarm conversion and how much work is involved in modifying to make it fit? I have a 97 cbr 900RR. I love the bike but am just looking for a different look. If anyone has any info it would be a big help.

#17 ·
Hi Jonathan,

I believe you'll find that it's a 'brake' disc. :thumb:

There are 4 bolts that you remove, and if my memory serves me correctly, you need to remove the axle from the hub to get the rotor off. The big nut is a 45mm jobbie I believe.

I bought a Galfer Wave rotor for mine. It was about USD$125, and I teamed it up with the Galfer Green pads.

Cheers,
Simon

PS. BTW, what year swingarm did you buy? Does it have the shock linkage bung on the underside?

IMPORTANT NOTE: As the VFR is an all-weather touring/commuting bike that usually have a lot of miles on them, it is my strongest suggestion that as you'll be taking the hub apart, you take the time to replace all the bearings and spacers, and re-pack the hub back together with lithium axle grease. You're putting the SSA on a bike with a lot more power than the VFR and the last thing you want is the hub siezing up at 100mph!

#18 ·
Everything Simon said, plus some....

Rear axle nut is a 46mm.

Depending on what year your swingarm is from, you may or may not need the spacer that sits between the hub and brake rotor. For example, if it's off a VFR 750, then no spacer.

But if it's off a VFR 800, like my 99, then you do need the spacer. I'm pretty pissed about that right now, because I bought a Galfer Wave rotor for the rear, and with the spacer it looks ugly as sin, so called up Galfer, and they say that yes you have to keep the spacer. So looks like I'll either be getting a new spacer machined, or keeping the stock rotor. Anyone need a Galfer Wave rotor for their VFR?

Also, to remove the rear axle, once you've gotten the big fat 46mm nut off, also remove the cotter pin from the torque link that attaches the swingarm to the rear axle (found on right side of bike at bottom of link) and remove the external snap ring and caliper bracket that holds the right half of the axle to the swingarm. Note: Use a good set of snap-ring pliers. It's a very large ring and most snap-ring pliers don't expand enough to get the ring wide enough to come off. For example, the Motion Pro ones I had almost did it, but not quite. Same for "OEM" brand sold at AutoZone, PepBoy's, Checker's, etc. If you end up using a set of needle-nose pliers to do the job, make sure it's a really beefy plier, otherwise you'll bend the tips.

Also, do as Simon said and take the time to have the bearings and seals replaced. Like he pointed out, a lot of these bikes have LOTS of miles on them, and this isn't exactly an item that is normally taken care of during service intervals. In fact, checking my service manual here for when it should be inspected....oh, look at that, it's not listed at all on the maintenance schedule.

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information, sorry about the spelling thing but I have that spelling disorder, Dislex. Dyxle. Dis, Oh you know the one I mean lol, sorry mate. One more question off the back of your sound advice. I went back to the guy to ask what year the VFR arm and wheel were off and he said it came off a VFR NL ????????????? Does NL mean anything to you guys as when I order up new bearings, disc, and sprocket, I'm sure they will ask "What year is it mate".

I never knew there was so much involved in the job, it looked so simple to begin with, but to do it right is an awfull lot of work. I refinished the rear wheel at the weekend and that in its self was very rewarding, so I'm sure when the thing is finished it will look fantastic.

Thanks again for your help

Regards,

Jonathan.

#21 ·
:eek:

Then you my friend, have a problem.

The pre mid-94 VFR swingarms came with a different rear suspension setup to the later models. Basically, the earlier models did not have the lower bung cast into the arm. The bung holds the bearing for the triangle shock mount.

If you want this to work, you need to get a piece of aluminum shaped like the stock bung, have it drilled to accept the bearing and the ends recessed to accept the bearing covers, have it TIG welded onto the swingarm, and through all of this, it needs to be in the exact same position as the later model bung - and it needs to be 100% square. Without a post mid-94 arm for reference, it's going to be difficult to place the bung exactly where it needs to go (I can give you the approx measurements from mine if that helps)......and that will affect the geometry of the bike.

Not something you want to mess with.

If you decide to proceed with this, it will have to be accomplished by a machine shop.....and I can see them rubbing their hands with glee from here. They're going to ream you a new one big time! Got lots of cash lying around that you don't need?

In all honesty, it's better that you turf this arm (sell it on Ebay) and buy the correct arm to start with.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Simon

#23 ·
Oh Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never understood to much about what you were saying about the bung, but all the shock linkage came with the arm.

Does it mean I cant fit the top of the shock to the linkage on my bike? I have a limited knowlage about bike mechanics, and I really dont understand the problem. Is it one of everything being off set to one side or the other.

The guy that sold me the arm had a 20mm spacer made up to go in to one side of the arm on the pivot point. Could the reason you describe be something to do with why he had the spacer made in the first place?

Regards,

One Confused Limey/Pom :idunno:

#24 ·
The spacer is required on the right side of the arm because the arm is 20mm narrower than the 900RR frame.

The top shock linkage will fit fine, because that is on the frame itself. It's the lower linkage that I am not sure about. That's a completely different design compated to the 94-97 SSA's.

Did the previous owner have this successfully fitted to his 900RR? If that's the case, I suggest you ask him about what he did to get it to work.

Cheers,
Simon

#25 ·
I dont think he did, because it was in a bit of a mess, but he assured me it was the arm. Last week I went to a local bike meet where there are about 1000 bikes every week and I managed to find a VFR 1996 and I asked the guy if he would be ok with me looking under the bike, and told him my reasons why. He said it would be fine, and to be honest, I could'nt see any difference which leads me to believe the guy that sold it to me perhaps had been given the wrong year when he brought it.

I have been to Halfords and brought a Hayne's manuel for a 1990-1996 VFR to see if I can see any difference in the arm between the years, and I cant. I brought a C.D. off ebay (Workshop manuel) and could not find the problem.

Could there be an American spec arm and a Europiean spec??? The whole thing is so confusing but I have poured a lot of money into it now and if I can get it to work, then I would be a happy man.

I'm still very confused about the whole issue. If I use the VFR shock then it will fit, or is the problem trying to fit the CBR shock in the VFR linkage.

I cant thank you guys enough for being so helpfull, I guess when you know about these things, it all comes so easy. When you are learning its difficult to picture in your mind what the problem is.

Anyway we are having some fantastic weather here in Essex, England at the moment, and me and a couple of mates all went out for a rip around the twisty bits this weekend passed, and managed to do our best to evade the the speed camera's and the wonderfull human's that operate them.
:smilierr: Hope you guys had a good weekend too.

Kind regards,

Jonathan.

#26 ·
I think in my mind I may have figured out what it is you guys have been tryin g to get over to me. Is it because the VFR shock has a fork end to it with two flat bits of metal each side with a hole through the centre, and they fit each side of the shock mount under the swing arm. Now, the CBR shock has like a ball end and a hole through it, and fits between the triangle plates.

If this is the problem, and it only is a problem at the bottom of the shock, do you think it possible I could get a performance shock from Manxton, or some other shock manufacturer for a VFR that would fit top and bottom??????? or am I barking up the wrong tree again :confused:

Regards,

Jonathan.

#27 ·
Jonathan,

Please just post up a pic of the bottom of your VFR swingarm. Then I can tell you what you have. Right now, we're just speculating.

One thing though......if you have the bung on the bottom of the VFR arm, indicating that it's a late 94-97 arm, then you will be able to keep your 96 Fireblade shock.

Cheers,
Sime

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.