The front wheel danced, wanting to be let free into the sky... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-04-2004, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

The front wheel danced, wanting to be let free into the sky...

Hindle/PCIII & Flapper Removal Test Drive

Last night I had the opportunity to test drive a new map, full hindle exhaust and the air box flapper removal on my 929. I read tons about the mods, and finally had a chance to experience (and hear!) it personally!

With the stock exhaust and hindle exhaust side by side, picking up one and then the other, you can not believe the weight difference! 10lbs I think. The hindle is mostly put together with springs. All very light weight, even the can.

Let's start off with the flapper removal. What is that plastic paddle for anyway? I'm sure there is a good reason behind Honda and all these cables, plastic wigits, and a 10 pound steel valve system, but this is a sport bike, not your neighborhood-friendly econo box! REMOVED!

With the flapper removed, you get this sound similar to the Suzuki's RAM air setup, but better and tighter. It's this kick ass 'growling' sound, and it gets louder under heavy engine load. This 'growl' is just the sauce the bike needs to what really happened below the bike.

The personality on 929 has changed so much now I have a new opinion to getting a steer dampener to level 'imminent'. Outside 1st and 2nd gear, my bike was pretty tame before.

'Holy sh*t' and few giggles kept echoing in my helmet the first 10 mins on the test drive. With a few acceleration spurts up to 70 mph in 2nd and 3rd, hitting a few corners, I noticed I had more power right away. First thing I noticed, besides the harmony between the air box and hindle, was that the bike was squatting its suspension and releasing forcefully in corners when I rapidly let go of the throttle, slightly push me forward toward the handle bars. What has someone done to my other 929?

After a few 45mph roads, I finally entered a highway, lined the bike down the road, ducked my head, slammed the throttle, hugged the tank tighter with my knees as a slid back a few inches away from the tank, redline, click 3rd - 9k RPM and going up..... At this point, keeping the front end down was kind of like holding a balloon filled with helium under your hand. All you have to do it lose concentration for a few seconds balancing it under your hand and the balloon will find it's way past and to the ceiling. Fun!

I don't have any dyno numbers to prove anything, but I can tell you I put 20k miles on my blade the last few years, many road conditions, and I know my bike. Now what sits in the garage today, is a lighter, more powerful, more wild version of the 929 for very little investment. Where are those GSXR 1000s? Hindle/PCIII owners, you know what I'm talking about.

I hope this little story helped your opinion on whether or not to get the PCIII and Hindle combo for the Fireblade. Past my 520 conversion, my 15t front / 44t rear, and PCIII, the hindle with the new map is by far the most effective upgrade I have experienced! Thank you OldGoat for the exhaust!

Have a nice day Ladies and Gentleman!

Update: Booth's Hindle map was uploaded (was using PowerCommanders full hindle map), and the bike test ridden. I'm going to say what I said above, but it's now 3x better! It's smooth all around. Idles better. More POWER across the RPM range!

(just added some pics)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1436.jpg‎   IMG_1438.jpg‎  

Last edited by redwhite929rr; 06-16-2004 at 4:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-04-2004, 11:28 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: The front wheel danced, wanting to be let free into the sky...

cool.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-04-2004, 11:39 AM

Excellent! Love to hear immediate satisfaction on mods. I'm tellin ya, these 929s are no dogs. It's still good to hear about the 929s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-04-2004, 12:52 PM

Cool! Amazing how much of a change (from stock) as few mods will make. If you're amazed now...just think of the improvement when you get a custom map made. Your bike will feel even better.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-04-2004, 1:08 PM

Did you put a full system on or like a 3/4 system. I don't want to lose any of my low end but I don't want to keep the stock headers. That damn HTEV!
post #6 of 24 Old 06-04-2004, 2:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGal
Cool! Amazing how much of a change (from stock) as few mods will make. If you're amazed now...just think of the improvement when you get a custom map made. Your bike will feel even better.
Good thinking. Anybody know of a good place around Chicago to do custom maps?

Come to to think of it... I PM'ed Booth for a map he has. He hasn't gotten back to me in a few days. Someone have one you can send my way?
post #7 of 24 Old 06-04-2004, 2:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
Did you put a full system on or like a 3/4 system. I don't want to lose any of my low end but I don't want to keep the stock headers. That damn HTEV!
jcblitz, it's a full system. I didn't notice any power loss down low, especially past 4-5k.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-04-2004, 3:46 PM

Thanks. I think you just made my decision for me on my upcoming purchase of a 954... I believe I'll go with the Hindle!
post #9 of 24 Old 06-04-2004, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhite929rr
Good thinking. Anybody know of a good place around Chicago to do custom maps?
You could check the Dynojet site...they have authorized locations listed there. That'll at least give you a good start. If you can find a speed shop in that list, all the better.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-05-2004, 6:15 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Fireblade + full hindle + pcr =

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #11 of 24 Old 06-09-2004, 3:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGal
You could check the Dynojet site...they have authorized locations listed there. That'll at least give you a good start. If you can find a speed shop in that list, all the better.
Found a place (Cycle Tech) in Rockford, IL through powercommander.com.

They want $375 for a custom map. Is this a good price?
post #12 of 24 Old 06-09-2004, 3:47 PM

Did you try the map I sent you?
post #13 of 24 Old 06-09-2004, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Found a place (Cycle Tech) in Rockford, IL through powercommander.com.

They want $375 for a custom map. Is this a good price?
Sounds a little high. Mine is in the shop now, $250 with tax and all $271.

I called one shop that wanted to charge per hour, as long as it took.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-09-2004, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Hindle/PCIII & Flapper Removal Test Drive

Last night I had the opportunity to test drive a new map, full hindle exhaust and the air box flapper removal on my 929. I read tons about the mods, and finally had a chance to experience (and hear!) it personally!

With the stock exhaust and hindle exhaust side by side, picking up one and then the other, you can not believe the weight difference! 10lbs I think. The hindle is mostly put together with springs. All very light weight, even the can.

Let's start off with the flapper removal. What is that plastic paddle for anyway? I'm sure there is a good reason behind Honda and all these cables, plastic wigits, and a 10 pound steel valve system, but this is a sport bike, not your neighborhood-friendly econo box! REMOVED!

With the flapper removed, you get this sound similar to the Suzuki's RAM air setup, but better and tighter. It's this kick ass 'growling' sound, and it gets louder under heavy engine load. This 'growl' is just the sauce the bike needs to what really happened below the bike.

The personality on 929 has changed so much now I have a new opinion to getting a steer dampener to level 'imminent'. Outside 1st and 2nd gear, my bike was pretty tame before.

'Holy sh*t' and few giggles kept echoing in my helmet the first 10 mins on the test drive. With a few acceleration spurts up to 70 mph in 2nd and 3rd, hitting a few corners, I noticed I had more power right away. First thing I noticed, besides the harmony between the air box and hindle, was that the bike was squatting its suspension and releasing forcefully in corners when I rapidly let go of the throttle, slightly push me forward toward the handle bars. What has someone done to my other 929?

After a few 45mph roads, I finally entered a highway, lined the bike down the road, ducked my head, slammed the throttle, hugged the tank tighter with my knees as a slid back a few inches away from the tank, redline, click 3rd - 9k RPM and going up..... At this point, keeping the front end down was kind of like holding a balloon filled with helium under your hand. All you have to do it lose concentration for a few seconds balancing it under your hand and the balloon will find it's way past and to the ceiling. Fun!

I don't have any dyno numbers to prove anything, but I can tell you I put 20k miles on my blade the last few years, many road conditions, and I know my bike. Now what sits in the garage today, is a lighter, more powerful, more wild version of the 929 for very little investment. Where are those GSXR 1000s? Hindle/PCIII owners, you know what I'm talking about.

I hope this little story helped your opinion on whether or not to get the PCIII and Hindle combo for the Fireblade. Past my 520 conversion, my 15t front / 44t rear, and PCIII, the hindle with the new map is by far the most effective upgrade I have experienced! Thank you OldGoat for the exhaust!

Have a nice day Ladies and Gentleman!

(just added some pics)
Your welcome People don't believe it till they experience it. It really makes a difference for not much money, IMO. Glad your happy with the out come.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-09-2004, 5:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
Did you try the map I sent you?
Not yet Booth. But I will this weekend. Your map will be just fine. I can't justify $3xx for a custom map right now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page