Scraping the footpegs - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-06-2004, 6:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Scraping the footpegs

Today for the first time I scraped the footpeg on the 54, It was not funy. I have aftermarket pegs that are much higher since they don't have the feelers that are on the stock pegs.

Can changing my riding position make me turn as much without having to go that low with the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-06-2004, 6:59 PM

Re: Scraping the footpegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'timbré

Can changing my riding position make me turn as much without having to go that low with the bike?
YES!!! Get off the bike more, it'll lean less and you'll go around the corner at the same rate of speed with less lean angle... Of course, you can see where this is going, you can now go faster as more lean angle is now available to you...
post #3 of 18 Old 06-06-2004, 7:02 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

For sure you need to adjust your riding position and get off the bike more. Do you have just aftermarket pegs or aftermarket rearsets?

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-06-2004, 7:16 PM

Is your suspension set up correctly? Body position, as cc said, will help tremendously, but it will also help if you at least have the correct springs for your weight, and the sag set properly.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-07-2004, 7:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

When I started riding, I was told not to hang from the bike as it is seen as a poser gesture, Now I gess I can do it when I think it's needed.

Of course, suspention tweeks would make my bike better, but for now I must try to get the best of the stocker. Max preload upfont, and about half way on the rear shock. I weigh 190 fully geared. I did set the sag the best I could with the stock $hit.

When you guys say to get of the bike, does that implicate the knee?
post #6 of 18 Old 06-07-2004, 7:50 AM

Reputation Power: 23

you need to get your bum off the seat and to the side you are cornering on, which will in turn get you knee closer to the ground if you extend it out.

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #7 of 18 Old 06-07-2004, 7:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerblade
For sure you need to adjust your riding position and get off the bike more. Do you have just aftermarket pegs or aftermarket rearsets?
Just the pegs
post #8 of 18 Old 06-07-2004, 10:18 AM

Woodcraft rearsets are on sale for $209 with free shipping @ 1tail.com
post #9 of 18 Old 06-07-2004, 10:44 AM

What do you guys think of the school of thought that hanging off has its place only at the track, that doing so on the street looks fast to cops and citizens, and perhaps encourages riding faster than is suitable on public roads?

Just curious if anyone agrees with Nick Ienatsch. Btw, I have no vested interest in this topic, nor do I have an opinion to argue ... I'm merely asking because I'm curious.

Last edited by Chain; 06-07-2004 at 10:44 AM.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-07-2004, 11:01 AM

I shift my weight over whilst riding on the street, too, but not nearly to the degree that I do on the track, since I'm not cornering with nearly as much speed. I usually don't throw my knee out on the street, either. The weight shifting is instinctive for me and allows me to corner properly. I don't see a need to really hang off a lot, or ride in a full tuck, as it probably would draw unwanted attention from the authorities.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Supporting Member

Ditto. The laws of physics still apply on the street, so the more you position your body, the less lean angle the bike has to have. I've only dragged knee on the street at Deal's Gap. Most of the time, I'm not going near fast enough to do it on the street. Just move over, and keep the knee tucked against the bike.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #12 of 18 Old 06-07-2004, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
What do you guys think of the school of thought that hanging off has its place only at the track, that doing so on the street looks fast to cops and citizens, and perhaps encourages riding faster than is suitable on public roads?

Just curious if anyone agrees with Nick Ienatsch. Btw, I have no vested interest in this topic, nor do I have an opinion to argue ... I'm merely asking because I'm curious.
I like the PACE philosophy best for the street.
Riding is too dangerous to have two techniques to remember IMO. Lots of people use the track to improve their skill and take SPEED off the street. You need to be able to use your skills to avoid the unknown. (Like a drecreasing radious turn) Its hard enough to learn more than one bike. If you get into trouble in a turn, you need to be able to use what you know to get through it. This comes from training and being able to overcome survival reactions. For me, I dont think I could have all this in my head for two types of riding...
I dont know that there are any laws against body position on a bike in my state, but it would not matter. Texas traffic laws are so ambiguous you can get a ticket for anything. For me, I need to be able to focus on a single way of riding...
post #13 of 18 Old 06-07-2004, 2:45 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain

I always shift my weight, street or track because it feels better and gives me less lean angle. I feel much more confident hanging off with my knee out, but don't touch down on the street.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-08-2004, 6:39 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Not that I want to get booked, but I'd rather get hasseled by a cop for looking like i was going fast, because I was hanging off a bit, compared to loosing the bike and crashing because i did not use my body weight to keep the bike more upright.

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #15 of 18 Old 06-08-2004, 10:19 AM

Hanging off is only for posers if you aren't going fast enough to warrant it... If you are scraping pegs on the street, then I would advise you to take it a bit easier (take it to the track), but in any event you are going more than fast enough to warrant hanging off... I hang off on the street more to practice my form for the race track...

- BA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page