954 Front rotor replacement... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 4:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

954 Front rotor replacement...

To cut a long story short, I managed to warp my right front rotor to the point of the piston being pushed totally back into the caliper on each revolution of the wheel. ie - the fornt brakes are totally useless at anything more than walking speed (gives me a chance to pump them up...)

Now, having walked into my local MC shop, and asking the going rate for a 954 front rotor, I got the amazing price of about $500au (about $350US)

to me, that is a ridiculous price for a machined steel disc. Anyone have nay experience with aftermarket jobs? I'm hoping that if I buy from the US, i may be able to get both the left and right side rpelaced for about $400US - wouldn't mind paying more if it means a better front disc. Did a bit of a search, but there wasn't too much about this, one thread suggested EBC (sounds good) Anyone know where I can get these things for a reasonable price? Almost tempted to say fuggit and wait just get radial Brembos - except then I wont be going on any of my infamous overseas trips any time soon...

Anyway, suggestions for good aftermarket replacements at a reasonable price?

that'll be all...

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...

Last edited by Zeeman; 06-07-2004 at 4:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 5:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Re: 954 Front rotor replacement...

Have you priced a set of replacement wave rotors

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #3 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 8:07 AM Thread Starter

Yup, about $450 each. Haven't really heard enough good things about them to go fo rthem though. I figure that if they are so good, WSBK and MotoGP bikes would have them...

Z...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 8:15 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Fair enough, but how the F#CK did you warp your rotors so much

I think I'd be doing the rounds of the wreckers or even 1 of the race teams to see if they had one that may not be good enough for racing anymore but may still be good enough for street, maybe try the sook

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #5 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 8:15 AM

Reputation Power: 0

When I baught my first bike I did the disk lock job

The bike did just like yours Z, the dealer sent it to a shop and they put the disk in a press, fixed it perfectly. I did not buy the fixing stuff at first but even on real hard braking not a sign of shaking.

Cost me 20$
post #6 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 8:19 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to stopsign Send a message via Yahoo to stopsign

I just got a set from ebay and paid about $70US shipped to my house..... they are posted all the time and go around the same price range....

buy from someone with high feedback though, i had a friend get ripped off and ended up with 2 sets of warped rotors and the guy was impossible to deal with for a refund...

good luck !

I don't kill flies but I like to mess with their minds. I hold them above globes. They freak out and yell, 'Whoa, I'm way too high!'
post #7 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 8:39 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, am actually looking at a set on ebay right now... WIll see how I go.

Ratter - it's a long story.. but, since oyu asked..

Seeing as the cat is Missing, Lillith has insisted on keeping the garage door open, so if he comes home, he can hid eint he garage if we are out. I, however, am not too comfortable leaving the garage door open with a 954, 600F4i and a shitload of work tools in there. so, I worked a compromise. I hooked the garage door to the closest solid thing I could find (erm.. the front right rotor of my 954...) and that allowed me to have the garage door open enough that a cat could run in, but closed enough that it looks closed form the street, and would still need a fairly strong person to be able to drag the door with attached 954.. Anyway, next day, Lillith, being home, unhooked the hook form the door - but not from my rotor. I went to ride out that night - did not turn the garage lights on, so I did not see the hook still in my rotor. Went to take off (luckily, I take of slowly from my garage) and had the front wheel look about a foot later. Managed to keep the bike up ok, but the brakes were gone...

I now keep the garage door locked. Kitty will just have to wait outside should he find his way home...

Z...

Last edited by Zeeman; 06-07-2004 at 8:40 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 9:07 AM

hey zeeman, im pretty sure that the ten kate team run bat wing discs which are a redesigned version of the wave rotors, actually a few teams in wss run them.
there are a few local manufacturers who do wave rotors,as well as normal.maybe give aussie brake discs or chain gang ago, they also say they use better quality steel.
personally, i'd kill for some braking wave rotors cos they look so cool.
btw, check out cal-sportbike,have had positive experiences with them.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Itchy - will check them out. I've heard about "batwing" rotors, but have yet to see them for street bikes...

From what some have said (abtech for example) Wave rotors are not os great on the track. Maybe this is why race teams have the batwing design :dunno: I personally love the thin discs and calipers from Brembo

Z...

Last edited by Zeeman; 06-07-2004 at 10:18 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 10:54 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeman
Yeah, am actually looking at a set on ebay right now... WIll see how I go.

Ratter - it's a long story.. but, since oyu asked..

Seeing as the cat is Missing, Lillith has insisted on keeping the garage door open, so if he comes home, he can hid eint he garage if we are out. I, however, am not too comfortable leaving the garage door open with a 954, 600F4i and a shitload of work tools in there. so, I worked a compromise. I hooked the garage door to the closest solid thing I could find (erm.. the front right rotor of my 954...) and that allowed me to have the garage door open enough that a cat could run in, but closed enough that it looks closed form the street, and would still need a fairly strong person to be able to drag the door with attached 954.. Anyway, next day, Lillith, being home, unhooked the hook form the door - but not from my rotor. I went to ride out that night - did not turn the garage lights on, so I did not see the hook still in my rotor. Went to take off (luckily, I take of slowly from my garage) and had the front wheel look about a foot later. Managed to keep the bike up ok, but the brakes were gone...

I now keep the garage door locked. Kitty will just have to wait outside should he find his way home...

Z...

post #11 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 12:03 PM

I just bought some Brembo full floating rotors for my RC. I can get them for about $210 a piece + shipping. If you are interested, PM me.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-07-2004, 7:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Booth - that sounds like I deal I may just go for if this ebay auction falls through. It's only a little more expensive than a single oem front form a local stealer..

Z...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page