PCIII, bike now runs rich - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-07-2004, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

PCIII, bike now runs rich

I have a 2000 929. I recently installed a PCIII and it's running rich now. I know it is at idle and low RPM's because I can smell it (and so can everyone else), but I don't know about higher RPM's. Here's the break down:

4200 miles
15T Front Sprocket
Two Bros C4 Bolt On Exhaust

I got my map from DynoJet and it's for: M104-003 - For use with Two Brothers slip-on exhaust and stock air filter. Reading TwoBro's page, they said no fuel remapping is needed. Should I try the 0 map?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-07-2004, 1:35 PM

Re: PCIII, bike now runs rich

The same thing happened to me...TWICE. First time, bike was running SUPER RICH, cost me a set of plugs and had to send the PC back. Got a another PCIII and about a week ago, noticed the same RICH condition. I haven't called DynoJet yet about the second one, but i'm guessing they are going to tell me to pound sand and get a new one.

Tank

Pull the PC before you kill your plugs...unless you have $60 to $80 you want to spend on another set.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-07-2004, 1:50 PM

I'd double check to make sure that the correct map is loaded, just to be sure.

Now you have a good 'reason' to get a map made for your bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-07-2004, 1:58 PM

Sure it's not your map???
post #5 of 16 Old 06-07-2004, 1:59 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank69
but i'm guessing they are going to tell me to pound sand
You are right to a degree. I have what I feel is a rich condition based upon smell and exhaust tip but they say you can not determine a rich or lean condition based upon those two items. I guess the only real way to do it in their eyes is to put in on a dyno and have the tuner do their work. I am going down this month, barring money issues, to have the bike tuned. If I can ever get my Carb Tune II from CA Sport Touring and finish the Starter Valve Sync.

Can you say 6 in a ROW!!!!
post #6 of 16 Old 06-07-2004, 2:32 PM Thread Starter

I want to sell this slip on and get a 1/2 or a 3/4 system. I'll probably do that in the next few weeks...but I basically ride almost everyday so I don't want to screw anything up. Would running the 0 map be wise?
post #7 of 16 Old 06-07-2004, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
I want to sell this slip on and get a 1/2 or a 3/4 system. I'll probably do that in the next few weeks...but I basically ride almost everyday so I don't want to screw anything up. Would running the 0 map be wise?
Your best bet would be to unhook it all together, ride the bike and see if the condition clears. I unhooked PCIII #2 and everything was fine, maybe it was my map, I highly doubt it, but I don't "blow smoke" anymore and the bike is much leaner.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-07-2004, 8:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That's because most of the time, when you put a pipe on, the bike does run rich. Check the map and see what values it has where you're saying it's rich. If it has - (minus) values, then the map is making it leaner anyway, in which case making it zero will make it worse, as would taking it off (same ****, unless there's a prob with the pc) . Put the zero map in, then take it off, if it's the same, then the PC is fine. If it's crap with the zero map and fine without the pc, then it's the pc. But check the map first. ALL bikes are different, so the bike they mapped with the pipe you have may have been lean down low, where as your is rich.....so how is that map gonna help? My advice would be go and get it mapped on a dyno. Problem solved. The power commanders are worth jack **** for your bike if the mapping isn't right. In MOST cases, just "putting" a map off another bike on yours, is waste of time and money (for egtting the pc in the first place).
post #9 of 16 Old 06-07-2004, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sook
That's because most of the time, when you put a pipe on, the bike does run rich.
I always thought it made it run lean due to the better breathing.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-07-2004, 9:33 PM Thread Starter

Any ballpark prices on a custom map? I'll email dynojet and see what they recommend to do.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-08-2004, 3:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Most people think that. Many race guys here that were used to running carby'd bikes ALL had the same prob once they went injected. The bike would feel flat and they'd richen it up, and make it worse. They couldn't work it out. Up top maybe, some times they lean out, depending on the bike, and it varies from throttle position and rpm. But if you look at most maps for Jap sports bike with pipes, MOST will be pulling fuel OUT everywhere.
Price is about $300 AUS, don't know aout over there.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-08-2004, 7:05 AM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
Any ballpark prices on a custom map? I'll email dynojet and see what they recommend to do.

Paid $180 for mine, plus doughnuts/coffee for breakfast and pizza for lunch. Also rode an 04 999 for 30 minutes. It was deffinetly worth the 1hr ride there!! Another place closer quoted me $300, but the guy that did it spent the same time on it the other place quoted, and I'm very happy with the results! Mine was running rich also with full Hindle until the mapping. Good luck!!
post #13 of 16 Old 06-08-2004, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Paid $180 for mine, plus doughnuts/coffee for breakfast and pizza for lunch. Also rode an 04 999 for 30 minutes. It was deffinetly worth the 1hr ride there!! Another place closer quoted me $300, but the guy that did it spent the same time on it the other place quoted, and I'm very happy with the results! Mine was running rich also with full Hindle until the mapping. Good luck!!
That's not a bad deal at all, damn, and a free demo ride!

Like the Sook said, I thought most (dynojet supplied) maps have a value of Zero in the 0% throttle and 1500 RPM and below. The maps I've seen don't start modifying things until well after idling, all zeros. Unless I'm wrong about what zero really represents.

Last edited by SuperDave; 06-08-2004 at 7:47 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-08-2004, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave
Unless I'm wrong about what zero really represents.
SuperDave is right, the zero map is suppossed to be used to return to the factory settings as if the PCIII was not installed. Each value (+) or (-) from zero is the change from the factory programming. I know my map is very lean in comparison to the factory settings at higher rpm's but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a lean mixture based upon engine dynamics, thus the need for the F/A hardware.

Can you say 6 in a ROW!!!!

Last edited by Mavic; 06-08-2004 at 4:40 PM.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-08-2004, 5:12 PM Thread Starter

Just to recap, the 0 map is the same as taking the PCIII out...assuming the PCIII is working correctly?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page